Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barrydh
    • By barrydh 2nd May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 5Thanks
    barrydh
    60+ oyster on gatwick express
    • 2nd May 18, 6:38 PM
    60+ oyster on gatwick express 2nd May 18 at 6:38 PM
    i have a 60+ oyster card. Im travelling from brentford to gatwick by train. I have been told i cannot use my oyster all the way to Gatwick. I apparently have to buy a rail ticket for the last 3 or 4 stops. does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks. BarryDH
Page 1
    • London50
    • By London50 2nd May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    London50
    • 2nd May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 8:01 PM
    Below is the latest 60+ map so I would say that what you have been told is correct and it looks like Brentwood is also not on the map

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/60_map.pdf
    • es5595
    • By es5595 2nd May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    es5595
    • 2nd May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 9:14 PM
    it looks like Brentwood is also not on the map
    Originally posted by London50
    No, you can travel to Brentwood with the 60+ oyster, but only on TfL Rail, you're not able to use a Greater Anglia service (on the rare occasions they stop at Brentwood!).
    • barrydh
    • By barrydh 2nd May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    barrydh
    • 2nd May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 10:48 PM
    brentford not brentwood
    • London50
    • By London50 2nd May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    London50
    • 2nd May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 10:52 PM
    Sorry..... at my age eyesight is not what it used to be :0(
    • macman
    • By macman 4th May 18, 12:52 PM
    • 41,997 Posts
    • 17,457 Thanks
    macman
    • 4th May 18, 12:52 PM
    • 4th May 18, 12:52 PM
    The only stop where the Oyster 60+ is still valid is East Croydon, so you'll need a ticket from there.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 4th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 4th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 4th May 18, 3:46 PM
    The only stop where the Oyster 60+ is still valid is East Croydon, so you'll need a ticket from there.
    Originally posted by macman
    Depending on which train, Coulsdon South might be the last stop. Or even Victoria if they travel on the Express!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 4th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 20,513 Posts
    • 12,708 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 4th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 4th May 18, 6:30 PM
    You can get a normal train to Gatwick which takes about 10 minutes longer than the GE and costs considerably less
    • macman
    • By macman 9th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 41,997 Posts
    • 17,457 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:34 PM
    Depending on which train, Coulsdon South might be the last stop. Or even Victoria if they travel on the Express!
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    OP specifically stated using the Gatwick Express, none of which stop at Coulsdon South, and all of which stop at East Croydon. If using a stopping train, then yes, Coulsdon South is the boundary point.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 8,000 Posts
    • 7,866 Thanks
    KeithP
    OP specifically stated using the Gatwick Express, none of which stop at Coulsdon South, and all of which stop at East Croydon.
    Originally posted by macman
    Not according to the Gatwick Express website.
    Apparently no Gatwick Express trains stop at either East Croydon or Coulsdon South:
    Gatwick Express is a non-stop train between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport.
    But that doesn't matter, as when using that particular combination of tickets the train does not have to stop at the changeover station.

Condition 14.2 of The National Rail Conditions of Travel explains:
    14.2 If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.
    Thus a ticket from Coulsdon South to Gatwick is acceptable on any train from London to Gatwick that passes through Coulsdon South when used in combination with a 60+ oyster card.
    Last edited by KeithP; 09-05-2018 at 4:54 PM.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 13th May 18, 2:45 PM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 5,674 Thanks
    bouicca21
    As mentioned above you will need a ticket from East Croydon. You can buy a zone 6 extension at the ticket office before you travel. And yes. Take the ordinary train. I don't think 60+ cards or freedom passes are valid on the Gatwick Express for even part of the journey.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

3,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin