Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jevoudrais
    • By jevoudrais 2nd May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 42Posts
    • 16Thanks
    jevoudrais
    Credit Card transaction refused Credit lint lowerd for 13 hours
    • 2nd May 18, 10:53 AM
    Credit Card transaction refused Credit lint lowerd for 13 hours 2nd May 18 at 10:53 AM
    The amounts here are too trivial to warrant any action but I'd be interested in comments.

Yesterday I was chatting to the FOS getting advice in advance of contacting an insurance company and I'm pleased that their advice was great and the insurance company without mentioning the FOS are doing the right thing now.

While chatting with the FOS I asked a question about using a credit card on a self service petrol pump.

I put the card in the pump but entered the incorrect pin it was declined. So I went a couple of miles home to get another card. On picking uo the other card i remembered id used an old pin previously.

That evening looking at credit card online it showed a pending deduction of a 1 which had lowered my credit limit by 1. I guess this is part of the processing.

The FOS person said actually may have a case that they would look at. I was astonished (before i get flamed I am not going to make a case this is for discussion for those who want to)

They said as a result of you inserting your card your credit limit was reduced by 1 for a period of 12 hours till the 1 disappeared for example.

Whether this is reflected by credit score places or not I do not know and my guess is probably not?

I cannot imagine this is something the credit card company and the Sainsburys petrol station have done wrong.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 2nd May 18, 10:55 AM
    • 6,898 Posts
    • 15,032 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 2nd May 18, 10:55 AM
    • 2nd May 18, 10:55 AM
    Your limit was not reduced.

Your credit availability was reduced.

This is not a story.
    • jevoudrais
    • By jevoudrais 2nd May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jevoudrais
    • 2nd May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 2nd May 18, 11:06 AM
    Your limit was not reduced.

Your credit availability was reduced.

This is not a story.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Thank you marliepanda for those form of words.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 2nd May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 7,136 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 2nd May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 2nd May 18, 11:08 AM
    I'd guess the FOS person isn't very familiar with credit cards - this is called 'pre-authorisation'.

Sainsburys mention it on their website: https://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/stores/faq-pay-at-pump

The same can happen when you check-in at a hotel or hire a car - but the pre-authorisation amounts are much higher.
    • jevoudrais
    • By jevoudrais 2nd May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jevoudrais
    • 2nd May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 12:22 PM
    I'd guess the FOS person isn't very familiar with credit cards - this is called 'pre-authorisation'. (new user had to remove sainsburys link)
    The same can happen when you check-in at a hotel or hire a car - but the pre-authorisation amounts are much higher.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Thank for this so in a scenario so say if you had 150 left available on your CC limit and you book into a hotel and they do a pre authourisation of 95 does that means that your available credit has dropped to 55 ?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 2nd May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 3,631 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 2nd May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 12:27 PM
    Thank for this so in a scenario so say if you had 150 left available on your CC limit and you book into a hotel and they do a pre authourisation of 95 does that means that your available credit has dropped to 55 ?
    Originally posted by jevoudrais
    That is correct.
    • jevoudrais
    • By jevoudrais 2nd May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jevoudrais
    • 2nd May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 12:43 PM
    So really the pre athorisation will affect your available credit limit but if there are terms and conditions at the petrol station or Hotel then OK ?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 2nd May 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 2nd May 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 12:48 PM
    So really the pre athorisation will affect your available credit limit but if there are terms and conditions at the petrol station or Hotel then OK ?
    Your credit limit is not affected - your balance is increased and available credit is lowered.

The 1 will get released in a day or 2
    • 8i6daddy
    • By 8i6daddy 2nd May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    8i6daddy
    • 2nd May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2nd May 18, 1:20 PM
    I was recently at a petrol station near Ashby-de-la-Zouch when I saw some old guy giving the petrol station attendant a lot of grief over some perceived breach of T&C's relating to pre-pump authorisation.... I find it awfully strange that people don't know how to use their cards in the correct manner...

It's as if they think credit card holds are a new thing...
    • jevoudrais
    • By jevoudrais 2nd May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jevoudrais
    I was recently at a petrol station near Ashby-de-la-Zouch when I saw some old guy giving the petrol station attendant a lot of grief over some perceived breach of T&C's relating to pre-pump authorisation.... I find it awfully strange that people don't know how to use their cards in the correct manner...

It's as if they think credit card holds are a new thing...
    Originally posted by 8i6daddy
    A good point its difficult to find a petrol station that has gloves to protect your hands. I usually avoid and the smell of petrol on my hands

Thinking back probably credit cards were out before debit cards. Did debit cards come on the back of cheque guarantee cards ?
    Last edited by jevoudrais; 02-05-2018 at 2:31 PM.
    • jevoudrais
    • By jevoudrais 2nd May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jevoudrais
    Your credit limit is not affected - your balance is increased and available credit is lowered.

The 1 will get released in a day or 2
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    TY Gary did you see my Hotel scenario above please ?
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 2nd May 18, 2:36 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    2e0arr
    Thinking back probably credit cards were out before debit cards. Did debit cards come on the back of cheque guarantee cards ?
    Did you forget to ask for your Green Sheild Stamps ?
    Esso tiger tail ?

Did they clean your windscreen ?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 2nd May 18, 2:59 PM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    TY Gary did you see my Hotel scenario above please ?
    Same answer

They will hold the amount specified and your available credit will decrease by that amount
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 10th May 18, 1:22 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    2e0arr
    See todays threads about ASDA lolol
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 10th May 18, 6:33 AM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    nic_c
    THe Q is why was a pre-authorisation amount taken IF incorrect pin was entered. Can you imagine a stolen card and the Asda level of pre-authorisation, combined will give victims unnecessary stress if a bunch of 99 holds appear.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 10th May 18, 7:10 AM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    THe Q is why was a pre-authorisation amount taken IF incorrect pin was entered. Can you imagine a stolen card and the Asda level of pre-authorisation, combined will give victims unnecessary stress if a bunch of 99 holds appear.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    Asda have stopped it now - so it is unlikely to have been an issue.

I entered my card to pay at the pump in Sainsburys, put in my number - it churned for ages, said don't remove card and then said transaction cancelled. I put the card back in, entered the pin again and the transaction went through.

Looking at my account there were two 1 holds. These disappeared a couple of days later when the full amount for the petrol was taken.

We get regular posts about these issues, but they almost always resolve themselves very quickly. It only becomes an issue where people have very little headroom on their accounts. Having several credit cards and keeping utilisation low should help.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 10th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    tastyhog
    I'd guess the FOS person isn't very familiar with credit cards - this is called 'pre-authorisation'.

Sainsburys mention it on their website: https://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/stores/faq-pay-at-pump

Originally posted by eddddy

How can it be a pre authorisation if the incorrect pin was used? It wouldn't have charged the card
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 10th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    2e0arr
    How can it be a pre authorisation if the incorrect pin was used? It wouldn't have charged the card
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    my situation at a tesco petrol station was that i used the wrong pin, the transaction cancelled, but available credit lowered and debt increased for about 13 hours
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 11th May 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    nic_c
    Asda have stopped it now - so it is unlikely to have been an issue.

I entered my card to pay at the pump in Sainsburys, put in my number - it churned for ages, said don't remove card and then said transaction cancelled. I put the card back in, entered the pin again and the transaction went through.

Looking at my account there were two 1 holds. These disappeared a couple of days later when the full amount for the petrol was taken.

We get regular posts about these issues, but they almost always resolve themselves very quickly. It only becomes an issue where people have very little headroom on their accounts. Having several credit cards and keeping utilisation low should help.
    Originally posted by Nebulous2
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    If it is only 1 then not really an issue but the 99 could be, depending on when it was used. I don't think there should be too much argument on the pre-authorisation once pin has been confirmed to check available credit before taking fuel. Asda have for years had notices about Electron cards saying if you take less than 25 your card may initially have a hold for 25 on until confirmed.
    The problem is when the debit when pin hasn't been verified. If Asda have backed down not so much an issue, but if you have 100 in your bank and put an incorrect pin, had 99 ear marked temporary and then remembered your pin and put it in, it would only show 1 available and so most likely not dispense any fuel.

The question is why is hold put on the cash when no PIN verification has been successful?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,340Users online

Martin's Twitter