Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pursuitofmoney
    • By pursuitofmoney 1st May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 1Thanks
    pursuitofmoney
    MBNA Phoned Work
    • 1st May 18, 10:23 PM
    MBNA Phoned Work 1st May 18 at 10:23 PM
    Hi All,

I applied for an MBNA card, on the application it asked me who my employer. The next day MBNA called my work up to speak to me. They ask me to provide general info like address and dob.

My question is, is this a norm for credit card companies, why couldn't they just phone my mobile which I had provided to them instead of phoning my work phone. (I didn't even give them my work phone number just my employers name).
Page 2
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 9th May 18, 8:19 AM
    • 6,839 Posts
    • 3,715 Thanks
    chattychappy
    What's the law on an employer confirming employee details to a 3rd party?
    Originally posted by prowla
    No problem if you have your employee's consent.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 10th May 18, 3:14 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    The problem is that these days payslips are easily faked... though as I say, they weren't drilling down into that level of detail. Just confirming she worked with us.

There is an issue around whether the "voice" was Barclaycard, I suppose. These days I would insist on calling them back on a recognised number.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Companies I've worked for would only confirm details for essential things such as mortgage applications or (immigration) visas and then only in writing.

Phoning to confirm someone work's there and leaving it there, is one thing. Divulging private information over the phone is quite another.

You don't appear to comprehend that approval given by someone who might be concerned about their job, might not be valid consent at all.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 10th May 18, 4:35 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Not really. The company I work for has over 4000 employers and several locations. I am pretty certain that about 99% of the employers have never heard my name.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy

it has to be a pretty dysfunctional company for the switchboard to not be able to locate one of their employees.

If the initial phone contact fails, they will probably have a plan b or a plan c, such as asking for proof of income, payslips, bank statement etc.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 10th May 18, 11:37 PM
    • 6,839 Posts
    • 3,715 Thanks
    chattychappy
    You don't appear to comprehend that approval given by someone who might be concerned about their job, might not be valid consent at all.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    They've put me as their employer on their application. CC phones me up, and I ask the person concerned if they would like me to answer the questions.

You are right - I don't comprehend the issue to which you refer.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 11th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    They've put me as their employer on their application. CC phones me up, and I ask the person concerned if they would like me to answer the questions.

You are right - I don't comprehend the issue to which you refer.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    The issue is the same reason people work extensive unpaid overtime, put up with bullying, sexual harassment and so forth.

Telling you that it's nothing to do with their job (and therefore none of your business) could jeopardise their job with a 'bad boss'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

2,373Users online

Martin's Twitter