Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pursuitofmoney
    • By pursuitofmoney 1st May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 5Thanks
    pursuitofmoney
    MBNA Phoned Work
    • 1st May 18, 10:23 PM
    MBNA Phoned Work 1st May 18 at 10:23 PM
    Hi All,

I applied for an MBNA card, on the application it asked me who my employer. The next day MBNA called my work up to speak to me. They ask me to provide general info like address and dob.

My question is, is this a norm for credit card companies, why couldn't they just phone my mobile which I had provided to them instead of phoning my work phone. (I didn't even give them my work phone number just my employers name).
Page 1
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 1st May 18, 10:32 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 1st May 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1st May 18, 10:32 PM
    Seem pretty obvious that they were checking you actually work there.

Edit to add: No it's not the norm (at least never happened to me!) so it's either a random check thing or something made them suspicious.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 01-05-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    • pursuitofmoney
    • By pursuitofmoney 1st May 18, 10:38 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    pursuitofmoney
    • 1st May 18, 10:38 PM
    • 1st May 18, 10:38 PM
    hmm,

so what about employees who can't be reached through the switchboard.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 1st May 18, 10:39 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 1st May 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1st May 18, 10:39 PM
    hmm,

so what about employees who can't be reached through the switchboard.
    Originally posted by pursuitofmoney
    They weren't really bothered about talking to you. A "never heard of them" or "they're not available" would have been enough to tell them whether you were employed there or not.

Isn't it obvious?
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 1st May 18, 11:15 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    • 1st May 18, 11:15 PM
    • 1st May 18, 11:15 PM
    They weren't really bothered about talking to you. A "never heard of them" or "they're not available" would have been enough to tell them whether you were employed there or not.

Isn't it obvious?
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Not really. The company I work for has over 4000 employers and several locations. I am pretty certain that about 99% of the employers have never heard my name.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 1st May 18, 11:24 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 1st May 18, 11:24 PM
    • 1st May 18, 11:24 PM
    Global Address Lists?

Org Charts?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 1st May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 1st May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 1st May 18, 11:28 PM
    Not really. The company I work for has over 4000 employers and several locations. I am pretty certain that about 99% of the employers have never heard my name.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    So what's your alternative and less obvious explanation for MBNA going to the trouble of finding out the OP's employer's number and calling him there instead of calling his mobile (the number of which they had to hand) to get information they already had.

I reckon most companies with 4000 employees have a central contact number and an internal directory.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 01-05-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 2nd May 18, 1:10 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 2nd May 18, 1:10 AM
    • 2nd May 18, 1:10 AM
    This takes me back!

I once had to submit a formal complaint because MBNA was pursuing a member of staff with debt problems and were quite aggressive towards our admin staff. It was our policy to take a contact name and number to pass on and not to confirm whether the named person worked for our company or not.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 2nd May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 2nd May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 2nd May 18, 8:32 AM
    Barclaycard once phoned my business. Conversation went like this:

B) Hello this is Barclaycard. [After asking to speak to HR or a director]. We have received an application for a credit card from Miss X who gave your details as her employer. Could you answer a couple of questions?

Me) OK, please wait a moment.

Me) Miss X, I have Barclaycard on the phone. They said you applied for a card. Would you be happy for me to answer their questions?

Miss X) Yep.

Me) Hello Barclaycard, fire away.

B) Could you confirm her full name? Her DoB if you have it to hand? Does she work full time with you? How long has she worked for you?

Me) I answered.

B) Thank you for your help, goodbye.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 3rd May 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Barclaycard once phoned my business. Conversation went like this:

B) Hello this is Barclaycard. [After asking to speak to HR or a director]. We have received an application for a credit card from Miss X who gave your details as her employer. Could you answer a couple of questions?

Me) OK, please wait a moment.

Me) Miss X, I have Barclaycard on the phone. They said you applied for a card. Would you be happy for me to answer their questions?

Miss X) Yep.

Me) Hello Barclaycard, fire away.

B) Could you confirm her full name? Her DoB if you have it to hand? Does she work full time with you? How long has she worked for you?

Me) I answered.

B) Thank you for your help, goodbye.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    I'm glad that you aren't my boss...

You put them in the position of refusing (making them look suspicious to the employer and the card company)

I would have declined to provide more than confirmation of their employment on the basis of the DPA and now the GDPR.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 3rd May 18, 11:36 PM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy

You put them in the position of refusing (making them look suspicious to the employer and the card company)
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    I'm not sure I understand "suspicious to the employer" - I was the employer. But I don't think I made her look suspicious to Barclaycard. I may have told Barclaycard I needed her permission before answering the questions (can't remember the exact conversation). I'm guessing as soon as they got through there realised we were a proper company and not a mate of hers.

I would have declined to provide more than confirmation of their employment on the basis of the DPA and now the GDPR.
    But that's just an excuse, isn't it? You can disclose stuff if the person whose data it is wants you to.

As a "good boss", I have no problem giving references, confirming ID stuff if I'm asked to and they want me to. Anyway, she thought I was a good boss. We're still in touch today, despite her having left the job.
    • No_6
    • By No_6 4th May 18, 8:58 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    No_6
    Never had a Credit Card phone my employer in all the years I have
    used and reused all the C.cards available since early 1990's.

They wont now...cause I'm retired and still getting great offers !
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 6th May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I'm not sure I understand "suspicious to the employer" - I was the employer. But I don't think I made her look suspicious to Barclaycard. I may have told Barclaycard I needed her permission before answering the questions (can't remember the exact conversation). I'm guessing as soon as they got through there realised we were a proper company and not a mate of hers.

But that's just an excuse, isn't it? You can disclose stuff if the person whose data it is wants you to.

As a "good boss", I have no problem giving references, confirming ID stuff if I'm asked to and they want me to. Anyway, she thought I was a good boss. We're still in touch today, despite her having left the job.
    The DPA does apply - assuming the card issuer has nothing to do with her role. I would also be of the view that if they (the card issuer) wanted proof then they should ask me for payslips etc.

It's not a question of being a "good boss" or "bad boss".
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 7th May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy
    It's not a question of being a "good boss" or "bad boss".
    But in your earlier post you wrote:

Well, then it's not a question of whether you are glad or not! I'll put it another way: she was "glad" to be my staff.

But I agree, it doesn't affect application of the law.

The DPA does apply - assuming the card issuer has nothing to do with her role. I would also be of the view that if they (the card issuer) wanted proof then they should ask me for payslips etc.
    I didn't say it didn't apply. But that with consent, you can disclose information. Whether they should ask for payslips is up to them - but that would have taken much longer and I doubt whether most employers would wish to do that. The point is they asked for some pretty minimal information to establish she hadn't made the whole story up.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 7th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    But in your earlier post you wrote:

Well, then it's not a question of whether you are glad or not! I'll put it another way: she was "glad" to be my staff.

But I agree, it doesn't affect application of the law.

I didn't say it didn't apply. But that with consent, you can disclose information. Whether they should ask for payslips is up to them - but that would have taken much longer and I doubt whether most employers would wish to do that. The point is they asked for some pretty minimal information to establish she hadn't made the whole story up.
    I appreciate you are happy to to do it, I still wouldn't divulge personal information to a voice on the phone.

Payslips would be supplied by the employee to the card issuer.
    It's not for the employer to get involved.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 8th May 18, 8:18 AM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I appreciate you are happy to to do it, I still wouldn't divulge personal information to a voice on the phone.

Payslips would be supplied by the employee to the card issuer.
    It's not for the employer to get involved.
    The problem is that these days payslips are easily faked... though as I say, they weren't drilling down into that level of detail. Just confirming she worked with us.

There is an issue around whether the "voice" was Barclaycard, I suppose. These days I would insist on calling them back on a recognised number.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 8th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Candyapple
    First Direct back in 2002 when I applied for a bank account with them called me at my workplace - they asked to be put through to me and when they spoke to me, just said it was to confirm that I was actually employed with the company and that was it. Got the bank account and that was it. Never been called by any other bank or credit card company since to verify employment.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • prowla
    • By prowla 8th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 8,339 Thanks
    prowla
    What's the law on an employer confirming employee details to a 3rd party?
    • No_6
    • By No_6 8th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    No_6
    @ c.apple
    that's what you get with a teley phoney bank then ?
    • No_6
    • By No_6 8th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    No_6
    They probably don't have enough staff to do that anymore.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

295Posts Today

1,721Users online

Martin's Twitter