Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 1st May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 286Posts
    • 152Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year
    • 1st May 18, 4:02 PM
    MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year 1st May 18 at 4:02 PM
    Barclays is doubling its Blue Rewards scheme incentives for new and existing customers who switch an account to it - meaning they can earn at least £132 in the first 12 months...
    Read the full story:
    'Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 5
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 10th May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    youngretired
    Like Ashen if Markboy112 is correct then I will be doing a complaint as when I switched in the branch the personal banker actually checked to see if he had to reset my Blue Rewards as I already had it activated and he was told no he just does a normal switch.

The T&C's clearly indicate that existing customer with Blue Rewards just need to switch and make their account a primary one. Also states to make sure that your nominated account for Blue Rewards is the one that you switch to.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 13,213 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Like Ashen if Markboy112 is correct then I will be doing a complaint as when I switched in the branch the personal banker actually checked to see if he had to reset my Blue Rewards as I already had it activated and he was told no he just does a normal switch.

The T&C's clearly indicate that existing customer with Blue Rewards just need to switch and make their account a primary one. Also states to make sure that your nominated account for Blue Rewards is the one that you switch to.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    I thought Markboy112 was just saying the online link didn't work if you were an existing customer, you have to go to a branch for them to fiddle activate it.

Mind you, nobody at Barclays seems to know what a 'primary' account is, so there could be a lot of us making complaints in due course.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 10th May 18, 6:39 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Ashen
    I thought Markboy112 was just saying the online link didn't work if you were an existing customer, you have to go to a branch for them to fiddle activate it.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I don't think that's the case, the post mentions something not working if you're signed up to Blue Rewards, and I can't think of any online link that would only work for non-Blue Rewards customers. You can't start a switch online with an existing account, Blue Rewards or not.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 13,213 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I don't think that's the case, the post mentions something not working if you're signed up to Blue Rewards, and I can't think of any online link that would only work for non-Blue Rewards customers. You can't start a switch online with an existing account, Blue Rewards or not.
    Originally posted by Ashen
    Markboy112's post immediately followed Katiehound's advice to another poster:-
    I clicked on the MSE article- quoted at the top of this thread, then clicked on a link well down that page and it took me straight there. HTH
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    It's not clear, but that was the basis of me thinking he meant the link "does not work", rather than the the offer didn't work. But hopefully he'll be back to clarify.

The other possibility is there is some confusion between the 12 month offer (open to existing Blue Rewards customers) and the May 2018 single month offer, for which you do have to be a first time user of Blue Rewards.
    • ronbell101
    • By ronbell101 10th May 18, 7:08 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ronbell101
    clicking on the switching service link in the original news article takes to me to APPLY and switch I have already opened the account I only want to switch to it now!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 13,213 Thanks
    EachPenny
    clicking on the switching service link in the original news article takes to me to APPLY and switch I have already opened the account I only want to switch to it now!
    Originally posted by ronbell101
    As above, if you already have an account it appears the only way to request a switch is to go into a branch and ask them to arrange it.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 10th May 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 38,780 Thanks
    Katiehound
    But now I'm locked out of the online application b/c Experian had to trawl ancient history for enough questions (and probably miscategorised it) to ask so I must 'book an appointment' to take in I.D. I can't just go to a bank brach and have it copied
    Originally posted by Milarky
    Well, if you are intending to complete a switch you will need to go into any branch for them to check your ID anyway.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2280 cc+.2205mm (£2.20.5) + RK £5.21= £30.25.5
    • moneysavinggirl40
    • By moneysavinggirl40 10th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    moneysavinggirl40
    Applied online as I have never banked with Barclays, seemed like a good offer to miss, with blue rewards and 12month worth of £11, so applied for switch online. Online it prompted me to take x2 IDs to branch.

I went in today, I felt like I walked onto a bridge of a space ship, I have not been to branch in such a long time, are they all like that now? Anyway I was put in a queue on a sofa (at least) to see an adviser even though there were staff loitering about on the floor seeking for customers to attend to, I was kept waiting, I thought to myself do I really want to bank here? After 15mins of waiting on the sofa the lady took my new Barclays debit card, brought my details up, she confirmed i did have blue rewards, then she proceeded to take details from my ID. Pretty efficient once I got seen, she didn't ask any other questions or didn't try to sell me any other Barclays product. I asked if I could delay my switch date as I thought 7days is too soon (because I haven't set up any dds with switching account) unfortunately she said it's part of 7day switch then as i was leaving she said it may not happen exactly on day 7.

Hopefully new DD set up on new Barclays account will count towards the incentive.

Has anyone had success of receiving incentive after they have set up new DD on Barclays account rather than switching x2 DD. I see the t&c doesn't distinguish that the DDs need to come from the switching account.
    • MDMD
    • By MDMD 10th May 18, 11:51 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    MDMD
    Applied online as I have never banked with Barclays, seemed like a good offer to miss, with blue rewards and 12month worth of £11, so applied for switch online. Online it prompted me to take x2 IDs to branch.

I went in today, I felt like I walked onto a bridge of a space ship, I have not been to branch in such a long time, are they all like that now? Anyway I was put in a queue on a sofa (at least) to see an adviser even though there were staff loitering about on the floor seeking for customers to attend to, I was kept waiting, I thought to myself do I really want to bank here? After 15mins of waiting on the sofa the lady took my new Barclays debit card, brought my details up, she confirmed i did have blue rewards, then she proceeded to take details from my ID. Pretty efficient once I got seen, she didn't ask any other questions or didn't try to sell me any other Barclays product. I asked if I could delay my switch date as I thought 7days is too soon (because I haven't set up any dds with switching account) unfortunately she said it's part of 7day switch then as i was leaving she said it may not happen exactly on day 7.

Hopefully new DD set up on new Barclays account will count towards the incentive.

Has anyone had success of receiving incentive after they have set up new DD on Barclays account rather than switching x2 DD. I see the t&c doesn't distinguish that the DDs need to come from the switching account.
    Originally posted by moneysavinggirl40
    You do not need to switch the DDs with the account . The promo is double blue rewards so as long as you have 2 DDs on the account you get double rewards. If you have one you get a reduced amount and if you have none you get nothing.

Not sure what the branch advisor is talking about the switch service means that the switch happens on the day you select, which will be day 7.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 11th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Just a word of warning for those booking branch appointments via the phone.

I got through to a Muppet who was convinced I had to initiate the switch to Barclays by instructing NatWest. When I had enough of explaining and actually said that is just not correct. Can you put me through to your switching team please?, he went to speak to a colleague, and came back to tell me make an appointment with....NatWest.

I ended the call and just phoned back to speak to somebody else.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 11th May 18, 4:46 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    18cc
    Yes I fell foul of the Experian questions as well and had to go into the branch today with ID to be fair they were really nice and open the account there and then annoying though that you can't even answer your own experience questions properly
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 11th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    18cc
    Although I got my account up and running today and the switch started I am not going to add the blue rewards until 1st of June because I don't think there is anyway I am going to be able to get two direct debits up and running and paid out this month
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th May 18, 5:08 PM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 13,213 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Although I got my account up and running today and the switch started I am not going to add the blue rewards until 1st of June because I don't think there is anyway I am going to be able to get two direct debits up and running and paid out this month
    Originally posted by 18cc
    This is still something I'm looking in to... as explained in a post yesterday.

If you don't add blue rewards until 1st of June then your first fee shouldn't be taken until the second working day of July. Rewards are only paid (on the second working day) if a fee has been paid in the "previous calendar month".

This would mean the first reward payment being made on the second working day of August in relation to the DD's and fee paid during July. You'd get nothing for the month of June because a fee hadn't been paid in that month.

If that interpretation of the T&C's is correct then it means having to set up Blue Rewards before the end of May in order to be charged a fee in June and for the June direct debits to generate a reward payment in July.

Unfortunately unless anyone can get a definitive answer before then, we are only going to know for sure if people setting up this month fail to get a payment made to them on the second working day of June.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 11th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    18cc
    Well the way I understood it is that if I set up my blue rewards on the 1st of June and pay two direct debits in June then in July I will get a £3 fee and also the rewards money

call me naive but that is the way I read it

By the way there was about a million page thread on the NatWest terms and conditions with their switch offer and it looks like the Barclays one is going the same way why can't the banks be a little bit clearer about what their terms conditions are!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 13,213 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Well the way I understood it is that if I set up my blue rewards on the 1st of June and pay two direct debits in June then in July I will get a £3 fee and also the rewards money

call me naive but that is the way I read it
    Originally posted by 18cc
    I thought the same as you. I even got as far as trying to arrange the switch for 1 June, but the Barclays system doesn't allow that.

Then I got home and read this in the T&C's:-
    Your monthly fee will be taken from your nominated account on the 2nd working day of each month. The first monthly fee will be taken in the month after you join Barclays Blue Rewards.
    That seems fairly clear, and taken at face value means there is no fee taken in the first calendar month you are a member.

Instinctively I think the reward would be paid in the second month, but that doesn't seem to be supported by the wording of the T&C's.
    • moneysavinggirl40
    • By moneysavinggirl40 11th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    moneysavinggirl40
    So I have logged on to Barclays online banking but this is the message i get when i try to transfer money, when i click on Transfer :"9802 - Sorry - you do not have any accounts from which we can set up a payment." I received my pin yesterday and the account does exist as I have a card too. Anyone else face this when thy joined?
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 11th May 18, 7:55 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    youngretired
    When I opened mine back in September 2016 I had 2 DD paid out and the £800 paid in and they gave me the Reward in October, so I don't think the fee matters when the account is recently opened as there is no way for you to pay the fee in the previous month. Though this might have all changed by now as it was nearly 2 years ago.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 11th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    This is still something I'm looking in to... as explained in a post yesterday.

If that interpretation of the T&C's is correct then it means having to set up Blue Rewards before the end of May in order to be charged a fee in June and for the June direct debits to generate a reward payment in July.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    yep that's how I read it too. I think it evens out as it says elsewhere in the t & c that if you leave Blue Rewards the £3 fee for the month you leave is refunded.

So say you join in May and leave in September: You start off £3 down on 2 June, then £8 up on 2 July (£14 reward for June dds less the second £3 fee), then £19 up on 2 August (for July dds and third £3 fee), then £30 up on 2 September (for August dds and fourth £3 fee), finally £33 up when you leave sometime in September and the fourth £3 fee is refunded - which is what it should be as you have been a member and paid dds for 3 complete months (June, July, August)
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 11th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    I should have known better!
    My experience with the Double Blue rewards application ..... I know it's not brief, but hope it helps someone on here!

As a brand new customer to Barclays I tried to apply online for the double rewards switch offer on the 4th May. All went well up to the point of the application being accepted and a sort code and account number being issued and confirmed by email. It took me through to the SWITCH NOW button ..... and then it failed with an error code. Bah!

I phoned the help line who told me to wait for the on-line passcode to arrive by post and everything would be sorted out then. OK! I’ll wait!

Tue/Wed, Debit card arrived, pin arrived and yesterday the on-line passcode arrived, so I access the account. As expected, the account showed £0 balance and no transactions ..... so where was the switch button? Nowhere to be seen! Back on the phone to the helpline.

Well, that was an experience I wouldn’t wish on any of you! I was given the run-around for nearly an hour with absolutely no useful information about how to do the switch being forthcoming. In fact I was given some obviously very bad information. I was first told to switch on Blue rewards first as I was on-line and able to do it, then informed that as an existing customer I would be unable to switch or have access to the Double Rewards! All completely wrong.

When I inquired whether I would be charged £3 for rewards in June that I could not fulfil the conditions for, as I had no way of switching ... the answer was ..... Yes! At that point (and for sometime before!) the conversation was going around in circles and my free phone call was approaching the one hour limit, I politely informed the operator that I was going to end the call and make a complaint tomorrow.

Ok ... on to today .... well I must have got the Good Cop to yesterday’s Bad Cop! He politely listened to me relate the tale so far .... said he had had several similar calls and would like to make me an offer of a simple solution to the problem. OK by me!

He said, if he arranged to have £7 x 12 = £84 paid upfront into my account plus an extra £3 refund in advance for the June fee ..... all done today, would I accept just signing back in to normal single rewards? Before I could say Yes! ... he then offered me an extra £25 for the inconvenience of the experience, no prompting needed! Sounded good to me .... except, I realised we were no nearer a solution to the switch. He put me on hold for 2 minutes and came back to say, unfortunately, the only way forward was a Branch Visit.

I was a little disappointed and cheekily said that they were making me work hard for my £25 compensation for nearly 2 hours total on the phone and now a Branch Visit! We came to an agreement that £40 would be a more suitable figure! The appointment was booked and £127 appeared in my account 5 minutes later.

After a disappointing start, a fair result I think! Not looking forward to the Branch Visit though ..... just seems like another potential hurdle to fall at!

Bet someone suggests I take the money and run
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 11th May 18, 10:42 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 38,780 Thanks
    Katiehound
    well, this thread hasn't (yet) reached Natwest/Clydesdale proportion! Hopefully it won't come to that!!!

Switch letter arrived- but date will have to be later since I can not go into branch until a week later than first agreed.
    It already seems 3 days later than first stated.

However DD for Barclaycard confirmed.
    Online passcode arrived
    Went to bank machine & changed debit card number
    Logged onto online banking
    Fed the account from Natwest. Planning to juggle money to and fro to make the £800 feed this month
    If I don't get the blue rewards this month I will have some reason to question it!
    I only applied on May 7th so I reckon that is very reasonable compared with some past experiences.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2280 cc+.2205mm (£2.20.5) + RK £5.21= £30.25.5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

6,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin