Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 1st May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 374Posts
    • 179Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year
    • 1st May 18, 4:02 PM
    MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year 1st May 18 at 4:02 PM
    Barclays is doubling its Blue Rewards scheme incentives for new and existing customers who switch an account to it - meaning they can earn at least £132 in the first 12 months...
    Read the full story:
    'Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 4
    • mummyof5
    • By mummyof5 7th May 18, 11:30 AM
    • 345 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    mummyof5
    I applied yesterday and was accepted straight away for an account,but as I did it on my phone I didn't get a chance to record my account number and sort code.

I then went to switch and it said I had timed out !

I spoke to someone on chat who assured me I would still be eligible for double rewards as long as I switched in branch.

He made me an appointment for today despite me twice querying any branch actually being open on a bank holiday and Barclays sent me a confirmation text with the appointment time and date.

I turned up and of course the branch was closed !

Rang Barclays who apologised and rebooked the appointment for me. He couldn't however confirm if I would still be eligible for the double bonus as I was switching in branch.

I am switching a long term account from Lloyds that I've never had a problem with,so am having a few doubts I am doing the right thing.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th May 18, 2:27 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,192 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I'm now thinking that I will attempt a switch from NatWest!
    Have realised that I could apply for a Barclays CC and assuming I'm accepted, set that up as one of the DDs to earn a reward

A quick look on their website suggests that by using the CC they would pay out £1 pm- no minimum spend mentioned. I assume that could therefore be quite a small amount-. In which case £7 for the DD & £1 for the spend. Can't be bad

oh and we even have a branch in town!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6416cc+3045mm (£3.04.5) + RK £8.03
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 7th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    18cc
    I plan to apply for an account and switch and then hopefully the direct debits will go across and then on the 1st of June I will turn on blue rewards
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,192 Thanks
    Katiehound
    very impressed.
    Signed up last night for account , switch & Cc.
    E-mails by return and a telephone message this morning reminding me to take docs into local branch in the next few days.
    So sort code, a/c number/ barclaycard no. all given

Rather different from the Yorks & NatWest experience......

Looks like I am going to be short of one DD this month so not the max profit. Switch due to go thro May 18th

Moral of story: have DDs up and running (and paid out once ) before switch. Nevermind, I wasn't expecting a deal to come along quite so quickly.........
    So, my switch from my second H Reward account has earned a good bit more than £3 pm!!
    (and today spent all but last remaining £3 on my M&S gift card from that switch. 2 x dine in for two for £18- a free £18 at that, including 2 bottles of wine
    Many thanks

• Over62
    • By Over62 8th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Over62
    Identity
    My problem is with identity documents. The last screen that appears when switching shows that a driving licence, either paper or photo, is acceptable but the email sent to take to the branch with the documents only states photo. I phoned the Switch team who said that as long as the current address is shown on the paper licence, it was fine. I took my documents to the branch on Friday and they were accepted with no problem.

When my husband took his documents today, they would not accept the paper driving licence. I phoned the Switch team again, who now say it is at branch discretion. Right hand ... left hand.

We do everything online so we have no original bank statements, credit card statements, utility or council tax bills etc. It is presumably possible to get one of these, probably at a cost, but not within the 5 days specified, and frankly, I strongly object to having to do it. Other banks are able to confirm your identity electronically, so why not Barclays?

Furthermore, the policy is ageist. Only those old enough to drive before 1998 may still have paper licences.

Not sure that the hassle is worth the incentives.

• youngretired
    • By youngretired 8th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    youngretired
    Does your husband not have a passport that he can take as ID and you say you do everything by online, but council tax bills for each year are sent out in the post (this is what we always use as everything else is paperless).

Other banks might ID you electronically but some do ask for ID to be shown in branch also, as my husband has been asked to take into Nationwide and Santander before when being added onto an account. Also Natwest asked for ID to be sent electronically to them when they recently launched their incentive earlier this year.
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 8th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Ashen
    I do find it slightly odd that, since it is possible to open a new account online completely fine with Barclays without physical identification (unless things have changed), presumably it's just if you open and request a switch that they suddenly need to see ID for some reason.

Also, being an existing customer, they didn't ask me for any ID when I went in branch to do the switch.
    Last edited by Ashen; 08-05-2018 at 6:44 PM.
    • tg99
    • By tg99 8th May 18, 7:09 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    tg99
    Went in branch to switch an account to my existing Barclays, straightforward enough - just over 10 minutes, with my appointment itself delayed by about 10 minutes extra waiting.

No selling, asked me about income, expenditure on various things - no ID required (mentioning that as the online literature is somewhat unclear for existing account switches).

Yes.
    Originally posted by Ashen
    Were the questions on income / expenditure / various effectively as if you were applying for a new account, I.e. a detailed run through of job status and monthly / annual salary, other income, mortgage payments, other outgoings etc?
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 8th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Ashen
    Were the questions on income / expenditure / various effectively as if you were applying for a new account, I.e. a detailed run through of job status and monthly / annual salary, other income, mortgage payments, other outgoings etc?
    Originally posted by tg99
    Yes - was put to me as them updating the details they currently had for me.
    • Over62
    • By Over62 9th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Over62
    Does your husband not have a passport that he can take as ID and you say you do everything by online, but council tax bills for each year are sent out in the post (this is what we always use as everything else is paperless).

Other banks might ID you electronically but some do ask for ID to be shown in branch also, as my husband has been asked to take into Nationwide and Santander before when being added onto an account. Also Natwest asked for ID to be sent electronically to them when they recently launched their incentive earlier this year.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    Yes, the passport is being used to verify identity and that is fine. It is the verification of our address that is the problem. Our council tax bills are also sent out electronically so that is not an option.

We also have Natwest accounts and sent ID electronically with no problem. Our Nationwide and Santander accounts are long standing but I don't remember ever having to prove our address.

My complaint is that there is no consistent policy. My documents were accepted without question and one working day later, my OH's documents were rejected. I was told by the Switching Team that my documents were OK and one working day later, the Team say that it is up to individual branches whether or not they accept them.

Not sure that we want accounts with Barclays if this is the way they operate.
    • ronbell101
    • By ronbell101 9th May 18, 4:26 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ronbell101
    Can some one please point me in the right direction online to apply for a switch ?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th May 18, 7:07 PM
    • 8,848 Posts
    • 24,215 Thanks
    EachPenny
    A quick reminder for anyone intending to switch a NatWest account to Barclays making the switch request in branch.

NatWest debit cards don't have your account number on them - the Barclays system needs the account number in addition to the sort code and 16 digit card number.

So don't forget to take something which shows your account number to your appointment - don't rely on the debit card being enough.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 9th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,192 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Barclays debit card arrived today- I only applied for the account on Monday evening.
    Can't cope with such efficiency!! It's an alien concept.......
    Many thanks

• Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 9th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,192 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Can some one please point me in the right direction online to apply for a switch ?
    Originally posted by ronbell101
    I clicked on the MSE article- quoted at the top of this thread, then clicked on a link well down that page and it took me straight there. HTH
    Many thanks

• Markyboy112
    • By Markyboy112 10th May 18, 4:12 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Markyboy112
    This does not work if you are already signed up for blue rewards, customer service confirmed this.
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 10th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Ashen
    This does not work if you are already signed up for blue rewards, customer service confirmed this.
    Originally posted by Markyboy112
    In which case a complaint would be going in from me if it doesn't work, as the terms indicate it should, and no problem was indicated when I switched in branch and mentioned the offer.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 10th May 18, 5:23 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,192 Thanks
    Katiehound
    PIN arrived today. Speedy.

too good to last...!!

However, went into my local branch with required docs today. They say I need to see a 'something' manager (can't remember the term) and make an appointment. Earliest appointment is next Thursday!!
    Phoned the switch team who say that anyone in branch can check the docs and update my profile. But " each branch may operate differently!"
    Oh dear- left hand, right hand syndrome (think NatWest!)
    Good news they have managed to move switch date by a week so I don't have to start all over again!
    Many thanks

• EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 8,848 Posts
    • 24,215 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Something the T&C's are not clear about is when the '12 months' of double rewards period actually starts. The best I've been able to get out of Barclays is that it starts in the calendar month when the application/request for Blue Rewards is processed and activated on the account.

However, the Rewards T&C's state:-
    As long as you do these two things [pay in £800, pay the £3 fee] in the previous calendar month, we’ll add any regular product loyalty rewards (including any direct debit loyalty reward) or enhanced cashback to your Rewards Wallet on the 2nd working day of each month.
    and
    Your monthly fee will be taken from your nominated account on the 2nd working day of each month. The first monthly fee will be taken in the month after you join Barclays Blue Rewards.
    Therefore if you get Blue Rewards in May your first fee is due on the second working day of June and the first reward payment will be made on the second working day of July.

That means you will be into your third month of membership before the first payment is made. Nobody at Barclays I've spoken to can confirm whether you are then eligible for a further 11 double payments, or only 9.

Has anyone asked a similar question and managed to get a sensible response?

The relevance of the question is that if you won't be able to get two DD's set up and taken from the Barclays account in May then you will miss a month's worth of reward if the 12 months starts with May. However, the T&C's suggest there is no reward payable in that first month regardless of whatever else you do, unless you already had Blue Rewards active and paid the monthly fee on the second working day of May.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 10th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 4,626 Posts
    • 39,192 Thanks
    Katiehound
    oh dear it is getting complicated!
    I've got one DD going out end of May, hopefully there will be x 2 in June, and certainly x2 in July.

Maybe the year of double Blue Rewards will be the subject of a complaint when the 'year' finishes and it doesn't equate with 12 months of double rewards!

All one can do is sit tight and hopefully jump through all the hoops- correctly!!
    Many thanks

• Milarky
    • By Milarky 10th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 6,280 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    Milarky
    Well I fell foul of the Experian generated question
    Q1 in Jan this year .... (fine, got that)
    Q2 in July of last year... (yep, that one's easy)
    Q3 in June 2009.... (?@!)

I answered the 'none of the above' for Q3 b/c I never 'switched cable provider' as such, merely switched a landline from BT to TalkTalk and that form of question threw me off balance.

But now I'm locked out of the online application b/c Experian had to trawl ancient history for enough questions (and probably miscategorised it) to ask so I must 'book an appointment' to take in I.D. I can't just go to a bank brach and have it copied
    .....under construction....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,792Posts Today

7,663Users online

Martin's Twitter