Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shell2712
    • By shell2712 1st May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    shell2712
    Charging Orders From Late Husband
    • 1st May 18, 11:28 AM
    Charging Orders From Late Husband 1st May 18 at 11:28 AM
    Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

5 years ago my husband passed away after an unexpected and short illness.

I am now considering selling our home to move into another property and have found out that there are some charges against the property.
    The first charge is from Progressive Finance and is in the amount of 27,000 !! On going through my husbands paperwork i found out that this was a loan taken from Welcome Finance many years ago in the original amount of 10,000. On the paperwork there are two signatures - one is my husbands the other one is in my married name (we were not married at this point).
    We were joint owners of the property although it is no in my sole name since his death.
    The other charges are from 2 debts in his personal name where a CCJ was issued and subsequently moved on to a charging order. These happened after his death.

Can anyone advise what i can do. The first one swallows up a considerable amount of money from the equity and doesn't seem fair. I didn't agree to it or sign anything at the time.

Also, when he took the loan out he was working full time and had a full illness cover on it, presume it was PPI. He never claimed on it.

I dont particularly want to contact welcome finance as they have never written to me before or since his death. We have literally had no contact from them. Ever. He had not made a payment towards this since at least 2006/ 2007. I'm worrid if i contact the mto dispute it it will open a can of worms and i can't afford to pay back 27,000 either in full or on a monthly basis !!

I'm really confused on what to do

S
Page 2
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 3rd May 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    Candyapple
    The first charge is from Progressive Finance and is in the amount of 27,000 !! On going through my husbands paperwork i found out that this was a loan taken from Welcome Finance many years ago in the original amount of 10,000. On the paperwork there are two signatures - one is my husbands the other one is in my married name (we were not married at this point).
    Originally posted by shell2712
    So your husband took out a joint loan and forged your signature.

You need to check all 3 of your credit files to see if the debt shows up and/or if there are any other debts he took out in your name that you don't know about.

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: www.noddle.co.uk

He took the loan out and never made a payment. They never wrote to him about it or anything...strange wouldn't you say??
    Originally posted by shell2712
    How do you know they never wrote to him? Clearly he hid the fact that he fraudulently applied for a joint loan from you, hiding a few letters is easy in comparison.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • shell2712
    • By shell2712 9th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shell2712
    I mean they have never written to him since he has died. Also, i handled all the post and never noticed any letters from them.

Non of this is on my credit file and never has been i have always checked it regularly via credit expert as have a monthy subscription.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 17,811 Thanks
    zx81
    Credit Expert only shows you one of your files.

You need to check all three.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

8,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin