Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PR66HT
    • By PR66HT 1st May 18, 7:55 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 8Thanks
    PR66HT
    Rules for overstay?
    • 1st May 18, 7:55 AM
    Rules for overstay? 1st May 18 at 7:55 AM
    PE have sent me a charge.

It's the Airport Inn car park in Manchester.

Charge for 8 hours is 3.

Charge for 4 hours is 2.

I paid 2 when entering.

I came back late so paid the extra 1 to make up the difference.

I was parked 7 hours 58 minutes in total.

Are they correct to ticket me?
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 1st May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    waamo
    • 1st May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 1st May 18, 8:00 AM
    PE have sent me a charge.

It's the Airport Inn car park in Manchester.

Charge for 8 hours is 3.

Charge for 4 hours is 2.

I paid 2 when entering.

I came back late so paid the extra 1 to make up the difference.

I was parked 7 hours 58 minutes in total.

Are they correct to ticket me?
    Originally posted by PR66HT
    It depends what the sign says.

You have found the Newbies thread before. Can I recommend reading it again.
    This space for hire.
    • PR66HT
    • By PR66HT 1st May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PR66HT
    • 1st May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 1st May 18, 8:23 AM
    Ok, will photograph the sign this week.

The sign said 8 hours = 3, I didn't read any more than that.

Will take a look at the newbies thread.

Thanks for the reply.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 1st May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 9,729 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 1st May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1st May 18, 9:14 AM
    Yes they can.

Technically your contract with them was for 4 hours.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 1st May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 1st May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1st May 18, 9:22 AM
    As GD says if there was no time that could be bought for 1 they just pocketed that and registered nothing, you have to buy blocks of 4 or 8 unless the signs gave an option to top up.

The days of cuddly car parking have long since gone, these days you are a target for scams and slight of hand by the greedy money magicians!
    • PR66HT
    • By PR66HT 1st May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PR66HT
    • 1st May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1st May 18, 1:59 PM
    1 buys 2 hours.

My God, are they that callous they'll screw me for 100 on a 1 misunderstanding?

If they're right then it's bad news because I did the same last week so they'll be sending another ticket soon.

Gulp.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 57,301 Posts
    • 70,914 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 1st May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1st May 18, 2:02 PM
    Why 'gulp'? You know how to appeal this (not as driver) and the high win rate at POPLA.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 1st May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 1st May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 1st May 18, 6:16 PM
    "My God, are they that callous they'll screw me for 100 on a 1 misunderstanding?"

Yes!!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 1st May 18, 6:28 PM
    • 18,093 Posts
    • 22,875 Thanks
    Redx
    • 1st May 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1st May 18, 6:28 PM
    yes they will

they did that to BARRY BEAVIS on a free car park a couple of years ago

google it

3 courts , 11 judges , lost every time because the legal arguments went against him and have now caused misery to thousands like you until the government`s new Private Parking Bill becomes LAW later this year or early next year

please read that NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 1st May 18, 8:18 PM
    • 17,560 Posts
    • 27,759 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    In some situations, where you're not necessarily in control of your return within the parking time purchased (like an airport), it's just not worth pushing the envelope to save a quid, because it could cost a hundred times that if you slip up, even through no fault of your own.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • PR66HT
    • By PR66HT 15th May 18, 8:30 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PR66HT
    Just a quick update in fairness to ParkingEye.

Received a response to appeal, charge cancelled.

Sign says nothing about paying up front so I now pay when I leave.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 15th May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 3,262 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    good ... lets see what happens to the second one .........

while you await please watch/ read all about this scam industry (Hansard)

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

Ralph
    • PR66HT
    • By PR66HT 15th May 18, 10:41 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PR66HT
    I'm not saying for one second that they're nice people.

Only that they cancelled this charge, nothing more :-)

No second ticket (yet).
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 15th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Half_way
    They probably took you to be too much trouble to chase, even there time would be better spent chasing the easy pushover types who pay up without to much thought going into it
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,967Posts Today

6,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin