Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sann420
    • By sann420 30th Apr 18, 11:56 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 67Thanks
    sann420
    employer wants proof of time off?
    • 30th Apr 18, 11:56 PM
    employer wants proof of time off? 30th Apr 18 at 11:56 PM
    Hi All,

I have recently joined an Investment bank in the IT department.

At the end of 2016 I left my then employer and was jobless for about 10 months. During this time I did travelling etc but never claimed any benefits. Then I joined another company for a couple of months where things didn't work out and I got a job with my current employer.

Now my current employer has done all the criminal checks etc + employment refs + education checks and they have all come through fine.

But now they want me to be accountable for the 10 months that I did not work. Since I did not claim any job seeker allowance during this time my employer wants me to go to HMRC and get a employment history certificate and submit it to them.

My question is: Are they within their rights to ask for this ? and what is the point of this? I have asked them repeatedly why they need to know what I was doing during my time off and they just keep saying its for compliance reasons.

With the current environment of data leaks etc I do not feel comfortable giving them this info without a solid reason. Am I within my rights to question this request specially given that their verification department operates out of a non EU country and all my personal info will be dispersed all over the world for no good reason.

I do not have anything to hide but its a matter of principle. I try to give out my personal info only on a well needed basis and they have not given me a valid reason apart from internal compliance.

I have checked this website https://www.gov.uk/employers-checks-job-applicants and it does not mention any sort of request by employer to show employment history from HMRC etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Page 2
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 1st May 18, 6:32 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    usefulmale
    The other alternative that I don't think has been mentioned is that gaps in employment, without job seekers being claimed, can suggest time serving a prison sentence.
    Originally posted by BooJewels
    The only trouble there is

Now my current employer has done all the criminal checks etc + employment refs + education checks and they have all come through fine.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 1st May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
    Originally posted by sann420
    Have you asked the Employer why? Sounds like they've allowed you to start and are now demanding this. It could be anything to needing to check that perhaps your references haven't got confused - easily done I have to keep reminding my current manager as keeps saying it was later in the month I started which is worrying if ever shall be asked for a reference they openly admit a poor memory but I can easily foresee the ramifications.

If someone demanded you white wash completely your career history in order to get a job in your chosen field - would you do it?

Anyhow I once had to explain to someone in the Care profession, why I'd had a DBS check when working in IT handling employee data, they just didn't get why! so they say there is nowt as weird as folk.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 1st May 18, 8:50 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    BooJewels
    The only trouble there is
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    Thanks, I glanced back but missed that, although my comment was more general, I wasn't suggesting that was the case with the OP. It's an issue my husband has had with applicants - granted, of a different calibre than we're discussing here. They probably wouldn't get as far as full vetting where there were gaps, they couldn't or wouldn't explain at interview, as the application process requires them to have a 5 year fully checkable history. Not that many pay any attention to the specific requirements in job adverts
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 1st May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    General Grant

Anyhow I once had to explain to someone in the Care profession, why I'd had a DBS check when working in IT handling employee data, they just didn't get why! so they say there is nowt as weird as folk.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    What sort of DBS check? Was the role in a care setting?
    • sann420
    • By sann420 2nd May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    sann420
    Okay so I did this post to basically ask what my data protection rights are as a citizen of the UK.... and all I got was:

1) You are lucky to have a job. Nobody has ever had a job like ever so you better bow down and do what your employer tells you to do or die.

2) You are trying to hide some thing therefore you are a criminal of the highest order.

This forum used to be helpful back in the day.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 2nd May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Okay so I did this post to basically ask what my data protection rights are as a citizen of the UK.... and all I got was:

1) You are lucky to have a job. Nobody has ever had a job like ever so you better bow down and do what your employer tells you to do or die.

2) You are trying to hide some thing therefore you are a criminal of the highest order.

The responses are helpful if you bother to read them properly.

Or are you flouncing because people have not told you what you want to hear?
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 2nd May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 2,851 Posts
    • 2,824 Thanks
    steampowered
    This is actually a standard request for regulated city organisations like banks and law firms.

For any gap of more than a few weeks in your employment history, they will ask for proof of what you were doing.

It is standard procedure for their background checks. If you don't comply you will fail the checks.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 2nd May 18, 7:53 PM
    • 3,823 Posts
    • 10,360 Thanks
    LilElvis

But you didn't ask that, you asked this:

My question is: Are they within their rights to ask for this ? and what is the point of this? I have asked them repeatedly why they need to know what I was doing during my time off and they just keep saying its for compliance reasons.
    You asked your employer and they've answered you. It's fairly obvious that they want to ensure that their employees haven't hidden any part of their employment history which might make them unsuitable, e.g. failing to disclose an employment where they have been subject to disciplinary action. Given that you work in IT for a bank this sounds very prudent on their part. As for the integrity of your personal data, I'm sure you can ask them for a copy of their policy to put your mind at rest.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 2nd May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Les79
    I think it was only really me who said anything like that tbh...

And to be honest I said that you were lucky being in a position where you could live without working, referring to your past post about making a 150k profit on a property.

Many people in the country have to work to make a living. Many people will therefore be happy to provide this sort of information, and it seems even more strange given that you've already posted half of it on a public forum, Ali!

It does appear that you may be hiding something. Or not appreciating the fact that many people have to provide this sort of information to get jobs.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 2nd May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I think your question was answered several times. If you wanted genuinely helpful responses a thread along the lines of I missed two months employment off my CV and now it looks like my new employer is going to find out. Whats the best way to handle it? might have been a better bet.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 2nd May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 5,316 Posts
    • 8,730 Thanks
    Gavin83

Stop throwing your toys out of the pram. That isn't what you asked at all and the vast majority of people have been helpful on this thread. This isn't a data protection issue anyway, they haven't leaked any data.

If you want the job then give them the info they want. If you don't want the job then don't. It really is that simple.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 3rd May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Dox
    Their compliance checks will certainly require them to obtain the information they've requested, so either come into the real world and provide it, or you won't get the job. Why the big deal if you've been completely honest?

You need to be aware that many a job applicant has been 'travelling', 'homemaking', 'taking a sabbatical'...when they've been doing nothing of the sort.
    Originally posted by Dox
    You obviously missed the answer to your question when I posted it the first time, so here it is again for ease of reference.
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 3rd May 18, 4:56 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Diamandis
    Why bother to ask questions if you're going to reject the answers? It's nothing to do with data protection rights.
    • helmie
    • By helmie 8th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helmie
    If you choose to go into a highly regulated industry, you essentially have to waive some of your rights to privacy. It would be the same if you tried to get security clearance - choose to go into that line of work and expect to get your finances and relationships probed more than if you decide to work for a greengrocer.

You don't have to give the information up and can ask about policies and protections, but if you cannot meet in the middle then they can ask you to leave. Even after a couple of years they can still ask you to leave - if unfairly they might have to compensate - but they can still get rid of you.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 8th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 5,076 Thanks
    robatwork
    I wish you luck in growing the thicker skin you will need to survive in the grown up world.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 8th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    John-K
    I had to prove in great detail what I had been doing when I took the last banking job. Tickets, confirmation emails, and even photographs showing the places that I had been.

As others have patiently explained, firms need to know that you have not omitted a job where you were subject to disciplinary procedures.

For someone who has done no wrong, you seem to be digging your heels in over a very simple and minor request. If you are worried about your privacy then Finance is possibly not for you. Everything I do is recorded, scrutinised, and questioned. I am videoed, my calls are recorded, my emails are read, and I have to report even casual unexpected meetings with brokers or staff from other banks.

We are paying the price for the crimes of others. Maybe it is an overreaction, but that is how the regulations now work.

We have even lost our right to silence if arrested for financial crimes.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 17,504 Posts
    • 9,321 Thanks
    ACG
    You are working for a bank.
    Their files for their employees needs to be watertight.

Who is to say you did not have another job that you were sacked from which you decided to leave off the application form?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Casey1709
    • By Casey1709 9th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Casey1709
    Maybe he s worried the 2 months he spent in a Bolivian prison wont show up on his DBS.
    • aife
    • By aife 10th May 18, 12:51 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    aife
    reading the OP I'm not sure he did actually tell the employer about the job that didn't work out
    i get why employers would ask questions about gaps in history - what I don't understand is why they didn't do this BEFORE they took the OP on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,062Users online

Martin's Twitter