Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 30th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 920Posts
    • 213Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Do I need a new PC?
    • 30th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    Do I need a new PC? 30th Apr 18 at 8:30 PM
    Have my PC since 2008, Windows 7 32bit home, MS Office 2010 running VM internet.

Looking at the OS running life and age of PC, should I be thinking about upgrading my PC or let it run for few more years?

Thanks
Page 6
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 9th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    ChuckMountain, thanks.

Ideally I wish to take out HDD and put in SSD (Win7 and all the applications). Throwing away HDD in the bin.

That's why I was asking is SSD 120GB equivalent to HDD 320gb, or do I need more on SSD?

My current drive is HDD 320GB -
    Drive C: 64.4GB free on 288GB
    Drive D: 3GB free on 10GB.

With brands, which is better Kingston, SanDisk or Crucial, and so on?

Thanks for advice on Ram.
    • googler
    • By googler 9th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 9,706 Thanks
    googler
    ChuckMountain, thanks.

Ideally I wish to take out HDD and put in SSD (Win7 and all the applications). Throwing away HDD in the bin.
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    Can I refer you back to reply #12 and #52, and ask why you feel the need to trash a perfectly good HDD?
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 9th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    ChuckMountain, thanks.

That's why I was asking is SSD 120GB equivalent to HDD 320gb, or do I need more on SSD?

My current drive is HDD 320GB -
    Drive C: 64.4GB free on 288GB
    Drive D: 3GB free on 10GB.

With brands, which is better Kingston, SanDisk or Crucial, and so on?

Thanks for advice on Ram.
    Putting aside throwing away the disk for a second.

You have used quite a lot of the available space on the drive. Whilst a fresh install might well give you some space from unused programs if you have a lot of photos, music, documents etc. you still need space for it. You would need to double check this before proceeding.

120GB represents the size of the SSD, that's just a 1/3 of the size of your current hard drive.

Worst case scenario at the moment you have used 223.6GB as reported by Windows would be the equivalent of a 240GB drive so even a new one of that size would be full by your current consumption.

If you were to throw away the disk, the next size up is around 500GB which is around 100 to buy so you cost has gone up again.

Now if you don't throw the drive away you would have 440GB of total space for 25 which will keep you going for longer.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 9th May 18, 7:39 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Thanks,

Could you kindly let me know which SSD drive and Ram 4GB/8GB I could buy from Amazon. I don't shop from eBay.
    I already linked to the SSD and already asked twice about the Service Tag.
    It appears that I'm not one the one to advise you on the upgrade, as for every option I suggest, you look to another.
    I suggest for you to buy via eBay. If you don't wish to purchase via eBay then I can't help you.
    No time to trawl through Amazon looking for the best deal when you already have a perfectly good option. Plus you'll likely end up paying a fair bit more.
    It will be better in that case to look at the 65 PC in post #93 if still available. It's less than six years old and already has an SSD fitted. A lot better overall than your current machine, even with the upgrades.
    Since ChuckMountain seems so keen to interject, I'll leave the floor to him.
    Good luck.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 5,945 Thanks
    esuhl
    The bios file that Everywhere linked to earlier, is a modified bios file hosted on the anonymous file sharing site Mega.

Dell use unique filenames in their bios files that correspond to the version of the bios. New version, new file name.

The latest version of the bios on Dell's website shares the same filename as the mega one, however the file is very much different in binary content. Therefore it has been modified, with the right tools this is not hard.
    Originally posted by ChuckMountain
    That sounds like it could be a pretty major security risk...? I've not come across malicious BIOS modifications before, but I'd be very suspicious about downloading a BIOS update from anyone other than the PC/motherboard manufacturer.

how come a bios update allows a different version of windows to be installed ? Fully legally i might add
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    So... is the BIOS a hacked version from an unauthorised source, or have Dell made a version available that allows a free upgrade to a different OS?

When you say it's "fully legal", does it contravene Microsoft's licensing terms?

I'm just interested in knowing more about how this works.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 9th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    That sounds like it could be a pretty major security risk...? I've not come across malicious BIOS modifications before, but I'd be very suspicious about downloading a BIOS update from anyone other than the PC/motherboard manufacturer.

So... is the BIOS a hacked version from an unauthorised source, or have Dell made a version available that allows a free upgrade to a different OS?

When you say it's "fully legal", does it contravene Microsoft's licensing terms?

I'm just interested in knowing more about how this works.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    If you aren't capable of understanding my reply to you earlier, don't expect anyone else to be able to explain it to you any better. Of course you can choose to swallow ChuckMountain's offerings. Wherein you throw some mud and hope some of it sticks.

Remember that the title of this thread is "Do I need a new PC?". But it seems that hijacking threads is the name of the game around here.
    I took time out to explain it to you. Perhaps you should just read it again if you don't understand or just utilise Google. Better still, take it to PM with ChuckMountain. Then you will really understand how much he really knows and how much is being made up as he goes along.
    Why hijack a thread? Start your own if you want to discuss unrelated matters at length.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 5,945 Thanks
    esuhl
    If you aren't capable of understanding my reply to you earlier, don't expect anyone else to be able to explain it to you any better. Of course you can choose to swallow ChuckMountain's offerings. Wherein you throw some mud and hope some of it sticks.

Remember that the title of this thread is "Do I need a new PC?". But it seems that hijacking threads is the name of the game around here.
    I took time out to explain it to you. Perhaps you should just read it again if you don't understand or just utilise Google. Better still, take it to PM with ChuckMountain. Then you will really understand how much he really knows and how much is being made up as he goes along.
    Why hijack a thread? Start your own if you want to discuss unrelated matters at length.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

What on earth are you on about? (What on earth are you on?!)

All you said was to install a BIOS version from a dodgy source and then borrow someone else's copy of Win7.

Why would I PM ChuckMountain when it appears that he knows as much as I do about whatever you're going on about.

Why keep waffling on about nothing at all, prompting others to ask for clarification when you could just explain yourself properly?

If it's the case that this is a hacked version of the BIOS from a dodgy source, and you can use a particular version of someone else's OEM-supplied installation DVD, then fine. It's up to the OP what they want to do.

Half-explaining something is likely to confuse the OP and any others who are trying to contribute to the point of the thread.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 10th May 18, 1:13 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    RAM has been ordered and seen YouTube videos.

With SSD - will order Samsung 500GB 860 Evo one with Amazon. According to "mrmemory" site it's compatible with Dell 530s. Samsung also have a cloning software, makes it easier "Samsung Data Migration". That I can throw that HDD in the bin!

Will save over 200 from buying a refurbished PC.

I will get back to you guys, if any problems.

Thank you for a lenghly discussion.
    Last edited by tazwhoever; 10-05-2018 at 1:48 AM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th May 18, 4:43 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    What on earth are you on about? (What on earth are you on?!)

All you said was to install a BIOS version from a dodgy source and then borrow someone else's copy of Win7.

Why would I PM ChuckMountain when it appears that he knows as much as I do about whatever you're going on about.

Why keep waffling on about nothing at all, prompting others to ask for clarification when you could just explain yourself properly?

If it's the case that this is a hacked version of the BIOS from a dodgy source, and you can use a particular version of someone else's OEM-supplied installation DVD, then fine. It's up to the OP what they want to do.

Half-explaining something is likely to confuse the OP and any others who are trying to contribute to the point of the thread.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    OP doesn't appear to be as confused as ChuckMountain and yourself.
    In fact none of the people on this thread owning an Inspiron 530 has made any comment nor made an enquiry regarding the BIOS update.
    So your interjections have only served to disrupt the thread.
    Nevertheless the OP has made their choice and I'm sure ChuckMountain and yourself will be on-hand to assist them.
    You can go off and learn more about the subject and I can put you on ignore. A win-win for both.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th May 18, 6:03 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    EveryWhere

With SSD - will order Samsung 500GB 860 Evo one with Amazon. According to "mrmemory" site it's compatible with Dell 530s. Samsung also have a cloning software, makes it easier "Samsung Data Migration". That I can throw that HDD in the bin!

If you are spending around 150, how are you saving over 200? Was the refurb PC you had in mind 350?

Did you mean that instead of spending over 200, you are spending around 150?

I think I understand why you have decided to go that way, as it's easiest for you to simply clone the drive and therefore to not need to worry about needing to back-up data etc.

But overall it's quite a poor decision, both from a money saving and technical perspective.

We still don't know the specification of your machine, as you steadfastly refuse to give it to us.

The likelihood is that you installed Windows 7 32 bit when you upgraded, so you are going to be cloning 32 bit to your new drive and perhaps upgrading to Windows 10 32 bit in due course.
    So not all of your RAM will be addressed. Not a huge issue, but also not best practice.

This is why my advice was for a clean install all along. Less issues with a clean install of the OS, as opposed to an upgrade.
    Unfortunately a couple of posters decided to take the thread off at a tangent, leaving you to make the somewhat odd decision to possibly clone all of the bloatware, old versions and perhaps even malware from the old system. No analysis of this at all.

Better to have a clean boot drive, keep the HDD as secondary storage and then only move over what you need. Better performance overall for 30, not 150.

The 65 refurb machine would easily outperform the machine on which you will have just spent 150. The Central Processing Unit(the engine) far superior. You could argue more than four times as powerful.
    Plus ample space inside to fit your old HDD. 120 GB SSD for your programs and 320 GB HDD for storage. Your claim to have saved over 200 is somewhat...confusing.

You could have purchased the 65 machine and purchased a new Full HD IPS monitor(if you are still using the original monitor) for just a little more than you are currently spending
    https://www.ebuyer.com/796219-acer-et241ybi-23-8-full-hd-ips-hdmi-monitor-um-qe1ee-001

165 in total.

Notwithstanding, it's your money and your choice. "Too many cooks" did for you and this thread. You can take a horse to water and all that...
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 10th May 18, 7:32 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Just had a look at refurbished desktops, are the three dell computers any good for the price? I price seems OK for the more up to date PC. Which is better?

https://maximumcomputers.co.uk/shop/ssd-solid-state-drive-pcs/

Thanks for all your advice so far.
    I was thinking about the Dell 325, until I was advised to upgrade my own PC.

4GB maximum RAM and SDD 500GB.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I was thinking about the Dell 325, until I was advised to upgrade my own PC.

4GB maximum RAM and SDD 500GB.
    Just because you looked at it, didn't mean that it was a good idea or that you should buy it and that as you didn't you "saved 200".

For that sort of money, you can get an "as new" PC from Dell Outlet. No more than twelve months old.
    Why buy a ten year old PC for that kind of money?

You could pick up something newer from Dell Outlet;

or Zoostorm for the same or less;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoostorm-i3-7100-Dual-Core-Desktop-PC-4GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-Win-10-WiFi-DVD-RW-/263496114875
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoostorm-SFF-i5-6400-Quad-Core-Desktop-PC-120GB-HDD-8GB-RAM-DVDRW-No-OS-/263603028723
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoostorm-USFF-i3-6100-Dual-Core-Desktop-PC-8GB-RAM-120GB-SSD-No-O-S-/263492829458
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoostorm-AMD-A8-7650K-Quad-Core-Desktop-PC-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-WiFi-Win-10-/263465659260

Not that I regard them as particularly good value. But on another plane to what you have and will have and all with warranty.

The 65 machine will be much better than what you will create and it's much newer. i really don't know what you are thinking. But if you are happy, it's best we leave it at that.
    You've had the benefit of the best advice and at the end of the day the choice is yours.
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 10th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    Have my PC since 2008, Windows 7 32bit home, MS Office 2010 running VM internet.
    Big clue in the very 1st post Windows 7 32bit Home. Everywhere is the person suggesting an upgrade to Professional hence all the comments started.

The only reason to change tier of OS is from 32 to 64bit to address all 4GB of the new ram rather than 3.5GB under 32bit desktop Windows OS. The OP does not require any of the features of Pro.

I would apply the latest firmware, to be found here and then clean install with one of these;

I'm sure someone will lend you their copy for free.
    Keep it simple. Step by step. BIOS update, install RAM, swap HDD for SSD, install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit using DELL media or equivalent.. Machine up and running.
    is there really a legal free upgrade from vista to 7?
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    You are just over complicating things. It really is that easy.
    Yes.
    Once again, they won't be limited to Windows 7 HP, but you don't appear capable of understanding that, since I've already stated it at least twice.
    Either way, media will be supplied as needed.
    OS will will be fully activated and registered with Microsoft using my upgrade guide, as per the DELL/Microsoft Royalty OEM agreement..
    So why not use the latest bios version on the Dell website, rather than a unknown sourced file on an anonymous file sharing site? Because that bios has been updated to allow Windows 7 installs for a machine that only ever came with Vista ....

So they are going to borrow the media or its going to be supplied, either way they don't have it currently. If they ask Dell for one they will get a Vista reinstallation disc shipped (and charged for the privilege)

So far you had advocated that Vista -> Windows 7 is a free upgrade and that branded machines are free to move between tiers (no explanation of how on that last bit). Given the majority of PCs come from the big manufacturers it would be quite easy then to find the free upgrade route on their websites or MS. Maybe you could share a link or two? Plenty of ones saying how to upgrade all of them at cost ...

Just because you can use a key\exploit\mod call it whatever to piggy back on the back of Dell's agreement does not make it legal to use. Dell and the other manufacturers still need to track which machines are sold with which licences as this dictates how much money MS get and will vary depending on say whether they sell 10 or 10,000 machines that month. If a machine is sold with a given version of Windows that's what is counted and the user is legally entitled to use. Being able to install and activate a different version either because of exploits in the OEM model does not make it legal.

If after reading this the OP wants to do it then as others have said I am not going to stop them but to suggest it to other people that everything is totally legit to "save money" is wrong and therefore a balanced view is needed.

You keep saying you have explained, sorry but you haven't put a link up to a legitimate website of MS or Dell showing this free upgrade path. (not the W10 one) that might provide a bit of credibility and these points you seem so enamoured with.

Btw my comedian mate says you can save tax by investing in these companies, it's totally legit as he says so. Oh wait ....
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 2,850 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Sigh - you seem incapable of doing your own research .. Ill start you off ..

When windows 7 was released , MS agreed that any machines sold with vista installed 6 months prior to this would be eligible for a free upgrade to windows 7.
    The only difference between a machine sold 1 day prior to this, or 1 day after was the BIOS.
    This is a very old (obviously) upgrade path (hence BIOS no longer available for download from Dell) but is still completely valid and legal.

Now stop polluting this thread with you ramblings about things you don't understand

I'm not commenting any further on this as it has nothing to do with the OP's question and you I'm sure are capable of using google
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    As an aside, anyone can check beforehand as to whether a BIOS update has the Windows 7 signature. Some will state it under Fixes/Enhancements. Some won't.

In addition, many laptop, such as from HP and IBM were sold with 'white lists' written to the Motherboard, that locked you in to buying products from them instead of being able to fit whatever you wanted. Of course this also meant that you ended up paying a higher price than anyone else for exactly the same product. Totally legit?

If one uses their Dell media to install Windows 7 to the device and finds that it activates under OEM licencing, should they then deactivate it and purchase a key from Microsoft?

Yeah....if you are an idiot. The software has been legitimately installed.

By CM's reasoning, no one should buy OEM media from a vendor unless it is installed to a PC. Those are the terms of System Builder OEM. So all of those we see for sale are illegal from his perspective, as they get around the rule by selling them with a useless piece of PC hardware.
    Some will just sell the old COA off their machine. Also illegal.
    So the only legal way in his mind's eye, is to buy Windows 7 Retail media......only you cannot, as it has been discontinued.
    So ignore the ridiculous argument about whether activating Windows in exactly the way it is designed to be activated being a bad thing.
    His argument is that you aren't handing over any cash for it therefore it is somehow worse than the 'illegal' selling and reselling of OEM licenced products.
    On the contrary, rather than using a key bought via eBay about which you know nothing and handing over cash to someone who is not legally entitled to sell such product, you are installing and activating a certified clean disc from Dell via the Royalty OEM system. No need to install harmful software.

CM is just being argumentative for the sake of it. Witness his earlier statement of paying US$90 for an upgrade. (I don't remember exactly, as he is on ignore).
    No one will pay that, instead they'll just buy a Windows 10 key for a tenner via eBay. Totally legit?

So no, if you find that your device auto-activates in the way that I have described, don't worry, be happy. It's permanently activated and you will be, device permitting, be able to upgrade to Windows 10.

Of course the vendors and Microsoft don't publish these things. What they are concerned about is business using pirated software and people seeking to make financial gain by distributing their software.

How many take downs of DELL media have you heard about on eBay? None. Even though in the EULA it states that you shouldn't share the media.
    Because it's not an issue. It's only an issue for ChuckMountain.
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 10th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    Sigh - you seem incapable of doing your own research .. Ill start you off ..

When windows 7 was released , MS agreed that any machines sold with vista installed 6 months prior to this would be eligible for a free upgrade to windows 7.
    The only difference between a machine sold 1 day prior to this, or 1 day after was the BIOS.
    This is a very old (obviously) upgrade path (hence BIOS no longer available for download from Dell) but is still completely valid and legal.

Now stop polluting this thread with you ramblings about things you don't understand

I'm not commenting any further on this as it has nothing to do with the OP's question and you I'm sure are capable of using google
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    OP's machine bought 2008, release date Windows 7, RTM July 2009, general release Nov 2009, more than 6 months apart no automatic qualification.

The anonymous shared bios is a modified version of the same release version on the Dell website (11 Mar 2009 within the 6 month window) which is still publicly available. Dell use a number of methods for versioning their bios files if was one of Dell's it would be sequenced differently.

I suggest it is you that needs to do a bit of research on some less mainstream websites. They talk specifically about how to obtain licences from copies floating round on the net and embed them in the bios so they appear as legitimate machines to Windows activation etc. Does not make it legal though ....

Even so the upgrade path is also between comparable tiers i.e. Home to Home Premium or Vista Business to 7 Professional you can't just jump from tier to the other because you feel like it. Something that certainly Everywhere seems to suggest is the case.

Even if the 6 months applied you cannot legitimately move from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional without buying a licence. The same currently applies for Windows 10 upgrade you end up on the same tier....

Taz did you have to buy your upgrade to Windows 7?
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 10th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    @Everywhere one question you haven't answered so far is how for a branded machine you would upgrade from one tier to another.

So for example how would you on a Dell machine running Windows 10 Home upgrade for free to Windows 10 Pro?
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 10th May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    If one uses their Dell media to install Windows 7 to the device and finds that it activates under OEM licencing, should they then deactivate it and purchase a key from Microsoft?

Yeah....if you are an idiot. The software has been legitimately installed.
    If it is their software and it came with and installed on the machine they bought then they are entitled to do so.

But I will refer you to your earlier thread :-

I'm sure someone will lend you their copy for free.
    Either way, media will be supplied as needed.
    That's not their media then is it ....

It might appear legitimate it's not legally licensed though ....

Litmus test - How would a licence auditor at MS be satisfied this OP had legal ownership of the licence for the OS he is running if he had followed your steps?
    Last edited by ChuckMountain; 10-05-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th May 18, 1:44 PM
    • 32,174 Posts
    • 19,329 Thanks
    getmore4less

I wish I could find my notes,

I have a feeling it was the samsung cloning software that had a problem with my HDD which had faults(serious) and was on the way out so yours may be OK.

I got the EVO SSD PC upgrade package that came with the SATA cable and a SATA to USB adaptor to do the clone if no spare SATA inside and a mounting bracket(that does not fit anywhere).
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 32,174 Posts
    • 19,329 Thanks
    getmore4less
    OP doesn't appear to be as confused as ChuckMountain and yourself.
    In fact none of the people on this thread owning an Inspiron 530 has made any comment nor made an enquiry regarding the BIOS update.
    So your interjections have only served to disrupt the thread.
    Nevertheless the OP has made their choice and I'm sure ChuckMountain and yourself will be on-hand to assist them.
    You can go off and learn more about the subject and I can put you on ignore. A win-win for both.
    It was clearly going to be a waste of time asking where this file on a hosting site came from or what it does as anyone with sense would give an explanation of what that first step(update bios) gives you and any problem it will solve if you don't.

Your reply was very off hand when I said I would want to know before installing anything what it does.

Then throwing a wobbly on someone else because they don't use ebay...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

2,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin