Do I need a new PC?

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    Having looked at Dell site today, if I was to buy a new computer next year or so....how do I transfer all my data, files, programmes, etc to the new one? Plus my internet connection which I have with virgin?

Also destroying my current hard drive.

Thanks

Copy your data -- either over the network or by attaching the old drive to the new system. You'll have to reinstall programs manually.

A wired network connection will "just work" if you haven't turned off DCHP on the router. For a wireless connection, you just select the SSID and enter the password.

Just install the old drive in the new system rather than destroying it. Otherwise just make sure you smash the platters.
  • ChuckMountain
    ChuckMountain Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Microsoft used to provide a tool but no they are partnering with somebody that flogs a tool

http://pcmoverfree.azurewebsites.net/

Yes you can copy files across the network as esuhl but that requires you to share folders all of which is relatively easy.

Whilst you may be able to put the hard disk in the new one (assuming there are spaces and spare power) given its 10 years old I would not rely on it too much.

You can free software that will overwrite the hard drive multiple times such as dban.

You have to get to the platters first and so you need the right size torx.

Or you take it out of the PC, stick in the cupboard and recycle the PC. If you find out oops I have forgotten file x, y or z then you still have it to recover.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    I would say it depends, installing and OS from scratch can be very straight forward and run through with no issues. However it can also be a royal pain in the backside and can lead to a lot of hair pulling moments, particularly if this is your first attempt at doing it.

That's not meant to put you off but you can encounter issues with drivers particularly to the point where sometimes without the right drivers you cannot even see the hard drive\SSD to install Windows on so you fall at the first hurdle.

You need to download the appropriate drivers from the website and if you were say planning on moving to Windows 10 make sure that there are drivers that will work with it. (often the Windows 8 ones will still work)

You also have Windows 7 Home so are not licensed for Windows 7 Professional.

I would upgrade the RAM but as you are 32bit OS you will only be able to use 3.5GB of ram so don't buy any more than that unless you upgrade to a 64bit OS.

If however you are happy with your PC, then the old adage if ain't broke don't fix it should be worth considering. Make sure you backup though :)

Honestly don't see the point of this post.
    We are writing about a specific machine. There will be no issues with recognising the SSD before installation.
    If they are fitting an SSD and upgrading RAM then they can install 64 bit in the first instance, so all RAM will be addressed.
    You are wrong about the editions of Windows that can be installed and no need to back up as all data is still on the old HDD.
  • EveryWhere
    esuhl wrote: »
    Have you got a link?

Have already done so. Do you have the same machine?
  • EveryWhere
    Having looked at Dell site today, if I was to buy a new computer next year or so....how do I transfer all my data, files, programmes, etc to the new one? Plus my internet connection which I have with virgin?

Also destroying my current hard drive.

Thanks

Upgrading beyond you?
    The advice will be to buy a machine with an SSD fitted in the first instance, when you get around to purchasing next year.
    Now is a good time to learn to do the very simple maintenance necessary to run the upgrades.
    Once you see the improvement offered by the relatively cheap upgrades, you might not be particularly interested in buying a new PC.

If after that you decide to buy a another PC in a year or two, you'll know how to move the SSD over to the next machine.
    I doubt if many here buy new machines, as they understand the potential of older machines.
    My main PC is from 2010. With the addition of a £25 SSD and a £20 graphics card, it act as a PC and entertainment centre.
  • ChuckMountain
    edited 4 May 2018 at 8:57AM
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Honestly don't see the point of this post.
    We are writing about a specific machine. There will be no issues with recognising the SSD before installation.
    If they are fitting an SSD and upgrading RAM then they can install 64 bit in the first instance, so all RAM will be addressed.
    You are wrong about the editions of Windows that can be installed and no need to back up as all data is still on the old HDD.

You are basically pushing the upgrade route regardless. We don't know about the OP technical\DIY skills and whilst upgrading can be relatively straight forward it can also be more complicated sometimes. It is if it moves into the latter than a first time upgrader can easily become unstuck.

Whether it is an SSD or HDD is generally irrelevant, it is the SATA\IDE Controller that is relevant if Windows does not have the right drivers for it you won't get past step one of the install without further work. OP should be ok in this case but the amount of times I have seen this ...

The only official versions of the hardware drivers go up to Vista, yes you can get some from other sites for newer platforms but its a question of going round hunting for them. Are they from trusted sites etc. If you install a clean OS without them the it can cause symptoms for non functioning hardware (yellow exclamations in device manager) to slow\buggy issues.

Why I am wrong about editions of Windows?? Windows 7 Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate all use different keys so you cannot mix and match as you indicate. You are only licenced for the one that came with the machine. Yes you can install 64 bit but you are advocating installing 7 Pro something he cannot do without buying a further licence key.

Advising not to have backup is reckless. OP should have one anyway in case of HDD failure, Virus\Ransomware\Cryptolocker infecting the machine. Too many people lose all their photos too easily and there is 10 years worth of data on this.

When moving machines the OP might inadvertently install\format\otherwise screw up that disk. Yes this can be recovered but again extra hassle.

Also if the new machine is a laptop or all in one then there is no room for a desktop HDD.

I am all for upgrading machines (this one is going to be dusty) but you have to balance it with the confidence\skill set of the individual. Yes things can be learned\picked up but equally if it goes wrong that is where experience is needed. If the OP does not know about things like device manager then he should take some time and read up on it before deciding. Have a look at some videos on youtube etc.

A bit like plumbing\electrician courses which you can pass in a few months but does not give you the same as real experience in the field.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Having looked at Dell site today, if I was to buy a new computer next year or so....how do I transfer all my data, files, programmes, etc to the new one? Also destroying my current hard drive.

Do. not. destroy. the. current. drive.

If you're buying a new PC, buy one with a solid state primary drive (SSD), take the current hard drive out of the current PC, and install it as a secondary drive in the new PC. This is really simple, and there's YouTube tutorials in abundance to show you how.

All your data will then be accessible with a simple copy/paste internally, so no need for data migration from one to another. No need to destroy a perfectly good drive. If it works, use it.

Data - music, photos, docs, spreadsheets, etc. - leave them where they are, and access them there, or reorganise your folders to suit with copy/cut/paste.

Programmes - if you have an install disc for them, install them fresh on new machine from install disc. If you downloaded them from internet, download latest version fresh onto new machine.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are basically pushing the upgrade route regardless. We don't know about the OP technical\DIY skills and whilst upgrading can be relatively straight forward it can also be more complicated sometimes........

Stop being so disparaging toward the OP, and show some encouragement for them to learn new stuff.
  • ChuckMountain
    edited 4 May 2018 at 10:50AM
    googler wrote: »
    Stop being so disparaging toward the OP, and show some encouragement for them to learn new stuff.

Read my posts and quote them properly in context. :D

As I said I am all for upgrading the PC but the OP needs to go in with his eyes open. We don't know the OPs level of skill and confidence. Everywhere suggests there will be no issues, yet has given incorrect advice on Windows versions. Drivers for this particular machine stop at Vista, though there are newer versions people have found spread out over the web again slightly harder to find and trust the source.

Another has effectively said don't bother as its never straight forward.

I have taken the middle ground, be aware of what you are doing before starting. There are some people I just would not advise them to start this. I am sure we all know people like this. ;)
    We don't know the OP or their skills and confidence, hopefully they could pick this up as it is relatively straight forward.

This reminds me of a class of pupils who were asked to follow instructions to wire a 13 amp plug. Relatively straight forward. This has detailed steps, the correct tools and equipment. Some pupils already knew how to do it and so cracked on. Others followed the instructions and completely it perfectly well. Others struggled a bit and needed the teacher's help. Others ... well lets just say when it said remove 5mm of insulation and they misread it as 5cm and then decided to wrap it round the terminals and mash the plug cover on are fortunately still here to live to tell the tale due to quick intervention of the teacher :beer:

A 10 year old hard drive probability of failure only increases with time, therefore better imo to migrate off it sooner rather than later.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament

Another has effectively said don't bother as its never straight forward.

If that is referencing me, I said I could not be bothered......

I think it is worth doing these upgrades but it can have issue and you should set aside more time than the it just works people suggest.

A basic install and upgrade could be a couple of hours hands on with some waiting time

Then what you need to reinstall all your apps, if going for the latest could be a fair bit of time making sure you have the installs ready, I don't keep track so could be a couple of hours making the download list Of what I want and what I no longer need.

plug in the SSD it will just work, well it needed some fiddling in the Bios and the clone software supplied did not work then there were some other thing that needed changing that I forget, I have notes somewhere.

I know if I am going to go down the new install route I need to set aside at least a couple of days to work through everything that I will want to do. I do have another machine that could do with the SSD treatment so might do that first but it is not used much and does not have a lot installed as it had a clean install before.

I have done(day job) enough of this sort of thing on more than just PC to know things do not always just work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure