Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Matster123
    • By Matster123 30th Apr 18, 7:38 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Matster123
    Universal credit
    • 30th Apr 18, 7:38 PM
    Universal credit 30th Apr 18 at 7:38 PM
    Hi all i am new to the forums

I applied for universal credit in march and have had my first assessment but have found my first pay is 0 due to being paid my final wage from my employer i have used thsy to pay all my bills and more so im in credit for another month.

I have spoken to the helpline many times to find im not eligible for a advance or any payment what so ever which means i will not be paid till june 1st i was old the advance i will not get as i missed the eligibility period to which i was not told or made aware of.

I have been made penniless till june i have not been sleeping and worrying every day i am looking for work and have had work trials and interviews but have been told any advances or payments i will not get and have to wait till my next payment date.

Can anyone help or give me advice?

Thank you
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 30th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    huckster
    • 30th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 30th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    Unfortunately, new claim advances are only available up to 3 days before the end of the first assessment period.

You could leave it a week or two and check if a budgeting advance is available to assist with costs of finding work e.g transport to interviews, also used to help with urgent needs to buy white goods e.g cooker, fridge.

Some local councils offer a variety of short term solutions to help with essentials.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • Matster123
    • By Matster123 30th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Matster123
    • 30th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 30th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    I have spoken to my local authority and they told me because i live with parents i am im not eligible for anything and universal credit have told me no advances are available to me what so ever

I am currently hoping and praying i get this job i had a trial for last week
    • huckster
    • By huckster 1st May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    huckster
    • 1st May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 1st May 18, 12:03 AM
    Try UC in a week or so, to see if a budgeting advance is then available.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 1st May 18, 11:49 AM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 1st May 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1st May 18, 11:49 AM
    UC doesnt pay rents on HMO's either
    Dont worry, be happy
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 1st May 18, 1:38 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 2,922 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 1st May 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1st May 18, 1:38 PM
    Try UC in a week or so, to see if a budgeting advance is then available.
    Originally posted by huckster
    As the OP only started claiming UC in March, you need to be claiming UC for 6 months to qualify for a budgeting advance.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/on-universal-credit/budgeting-advance/
    • PEN007
    • By PEN007 4th May 18, 12:26 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PEN007
    • 4th May 18, 12:26 AM
    • 4th May 18, 12:26 AM
    You could try and see if your would be eligible for a loan - be warned - they will take the first repayment back in the next month - leaving you with less! until paid.
    • Wilma1969
    • By Wilma1969 9th May 18, 2:15 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wilma1969
    • 9th May 18, 2:15 AM
    • 9th May 18, 2:15 AM
    Hi I'm claiming uc for the 1st time my assessment period is 6th April to the 5th may but my paydays from my work are always on the 7th will my wages always be looked at from the month before? As this month I've got nothing I'm really baffled so.eine tried to explain it to me but it's not sinking in!
    • huckster
    • By huckster 9th May 18, 6:16 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    huckster
    • 9th May 18, 6:16 AM
    • 9th May 18, 6:16 AM
    Yes UC will receive employment earnings information from HMRC and if the earnings taken into account are more than the UC elements, then you will receive nil payment.

If your employment earnings are going to be the same each month, it might be a waste of time being on UC. You should phone the UC helpline to discuss your situation.
    • Wilma1969
    • By Wilma1969 9th May 18, 6:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wilma1969
    Uc
    No there not the same each month just baffled me why my March pay was used that was all! Which runs from the 1st to the last day of the month n paid in arrears
    • w06
    • By w06 9th May 18, 6:57 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    w06
    Hi I'm claiming uc for the 1st time my assessment period is 6th April to the 5th may but my paydays from my work are always on the 7th will my wages always be looked at from the month before? As this month I've got nothing I'm really baffled so.eine tried to explain it to me but it's not sinking in!
    Originally posted by Wilma1969
    Each month the amount that you're paid in wages during the assessment period is used to determine how much Universal Credit you're entitled to.

For you between the 6th of the month and 5th of the next month is your assessment period

You're paid wages on the 7th for the previous month

Each month your previous month's wages will arrive during the current month's assessment period,
    affecting the subsequent UC payment. For example what you earned in March is paid in April and affects UC for May's payment.
    Last edited by w06; 09-05-2018 at 6:59 AM. Reason: clarity
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,580Posts Today

8,697Users online

Martin's Twitter