Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Green2014
    • By Green2014 30th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Green2014
    Informal chat with manager handled badly, advice please
    • 30th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    Informal chat with manager handled badly, advice please 30th Apr 18 at 12:55 PM
    Hi

Ill try to keep this short without the details

On Friday I handed in my notice to the new head chef as I had felt comments he had made were sexist and I was excluded from the group.

I told the head chef I was leaving because my heart isn't it so I lied. I gave two weeks written notice.

I was advise by other staff to tell the manager the truth so I did. I text her asking to meet and she agreed.

We sat down and I told her, she thought I had got it wrong because she said she is a good judge of character. I walked away then a few mins later I was called back to be told the same thing. I asked her not to tell him because It would make my last two weeks notice hard and she told me to remain professional and not get involved with gossip.

No less then 15 mins later she is telling the head chef in front of people loud enough for people walking past to tell me. I panicked and left the building. Two staff members caught me crying that day. I was told after I left they were all speaking even louder about it and everyone heard.

I have emailed the owner explaining what his girlfriend (manager) did and why I walked out like I did. He replied saying I am sorry you feel this way, I can not give a comprehensive reply right now but I will get back to you asap.

Could anybody give me a heads up on where I may stand legally as I am unable to work my notice because of this

I am due tips from last week today and my knifes are still at work. I have asked a staff member to collect them. If I am not given the tips is that fair?

Many thanks
Page 2
    • Mr Noodles
    • By Mr Noodles 11th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Mr Noodles
    I think the key takeaway here is that you would have been better off with the support of a union. Please join one now in order to protect yourself in the future.

You could perhaps bluff, write them a polite letter saying that you've spoken to your trade union representative, who has advised you you have a good chance of claiming constructive dismissal, and that under the circumstances you think it would be reasonable for them to pay you even though you feel unable to work out your notice period.

There is nothing that puts the fear of God into an employer more than the phrase "trade union rep". I imagine they would rather just pay you two weeks' wages rather than have to pay a lawyer to advise them on this, or call your bluff.

If you haven't been working there long, you could just erase the whole thing from your CV and pretend it never happened.
    • aife
    • By aife 11th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    aife

There is nothing that puts the fear of God into an employer more than the phrase "trade union rep". I imagine they would rather just pay you two weeks' wages rather than have to pay a lawyer to advise them on this, or call your bluff.

If you haven't been working there long, you could just erase the whole thing from your CV and pretend it never happened.
    Originally posted by Mr Noodles
    I'm afraid the days that was true are gone. With very few exceptions , i.e. the tube workers , where people have been prepared to take action , the union movement is sadly quite weak . even in areas such as the NHS , where people seem to have the impression it's strong , the union often functions more as a kind of support service , representing people at hearings etc. , rather than an organizing body
    I agree everyone should join a union but it's not an instant panacea , especially in areas like the catering sector where a lot of work places aren't unionised. People need to not just join but encourage their colleagues to join as well.
    apart from that , it's unlikely any union will help someone with a case that started before they joined
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 12th May 18, 11:50 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    You seem to be creating unecessary hassle for yourself.

Why request a grievance meeting if you are leaving? What would it achieve?

If you can go back and work your shifts then you can get your tips, if not then start your new just in a couple of weeks.

And please learn from this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,156Posts Today

8,418Users online

Martin's Twitter