Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 29th Apr 18, 2:14 AM
    • 3,633Posts
    • 7,461Thanks
    JCS1
    Depression
    • 29th Apr 18, 2:14 AM
    Depression 29th Apr 18 at 2:14 AM
    Morning,

Have suffered from depression one and off for most of adult life. During the last year, I have been getting worse.

I work full time, and use work as a distraction. But, this seems to cause other issues - NHS (both primary and secondary care), and mental health charities in the area offer very little weekends and evenings so I find myself with little help or support. To further complicate things I work in a neighbouring town (and a different county) so have to factor in travelling time.

Is anyone aware of on-line resources that may help? Or can suggest anything?
Page 1
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 29th Apr 18, 5:34 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 29th Apr 18, 5:34 AM
    • 29th Apr 18, 5:34 AM
    I have had depression over 20 year my advice is to read read and read. A good book is Mind over Mood. Learn and practice CBT
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 29th Apr 18, 6:51 AM
    • 13,179 Posts
    • 41,489 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 29th Apr 18, 6:51 AM
    • 29th Apr 18, 6:51 AM
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5835052
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 29th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    • 3,633 Posts
    • 7,461 Thanks
    JCS1
    • 29th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    • 29th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    CBT doesn't seem to work for me (recent studies show it doesn't with a lot of rumination -which is what I do), and over 20+ years of it I've read a lot.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 29th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 29th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 29th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    Can you access any kind of Employee Assistance Programme though work, or do you have access to anything like Benenden? My workplace offers those and they both have telephone support and other things, I think. It might be a useful starting point.
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 6th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 934 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    JennyP
    • 6th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 6th May 18, 8:29 AM
    3 recommendations:
    See a cognitive hypnotherapist. You can look on the Quest website to find one. It isn't yet available on the NHS but courses of treatment are faster so you'd only pay for about 4 sessions.

See if there's an Action for Happiness course in your local area. It's a brilliant course and you can pay what you can afford.

The book The Mindful Way Through Depression by Mark Williams who's a very respected prof at Oxford. There are videos and other stuff of his online.
    • frosty
    • By frosty 6th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    frosty
    • 6th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 6th May 18, 9:50 PM
    I suffer badly with depression,I started to eat nuts everyday.
    If you soak them over night the body can break them down more easily.
    6 walnut halves ,4 almonds and 4 Brazil nuts.They are said to contain nutrients the brain needs.I do feel better.The other day in the Daily mail there was a story written by a doctor saying depression was caused by inflammation in the body and if you can sort that then things should improve, you might find it online.
    • frosty
    • By frosty 6th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    frosty
    • 6th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 6th May 18, 10:02 PM
    Just found it,the daily mail sell it at about 12 and Amazon do an Ebook at 6 .50 ish.

The inflamed mind by Edward bullmore
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 6th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    JennyP
    • 6th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 6th May 18, 10:34 PM
    I suffer badly with depression,I started to eat nuts everyday.
    If you soak them over night the body can break them down more easily.
    6 walnut halves ,4 almonds and 4 Brazil nuts.They are said to contain nutrients the brain needs.I do feel better.The other day in the Daily mail there was a story written by a doctor saying depression was caused by inflammation in the body and if you can sort that then things should improve, you might find it online.
    Originally posted by frosty
    Turmeric is also supposed to help inflammation.

There's also a lot of writing about at the moment about how our gut bacteria influence our brain. It isn't fully understood yet - and I certainly don't pretend to understand it. But I do love Michael Mosley's Clever Guts book.
    • frosty
    • By frosty 7th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    frosty
    There was a program on tv recently which tested probiotics and a lot can't survive the journey to the gut ,except one which was from Holland and Barrett .I think it was the 20 billion one,sometimes it's in the penny sale.
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 8th May 18, 8:08 AM
    • 934 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    JennyP
    There was a program on tv recently which tested probiotics and a lot can't survive the journey to the gut ,except one which was from Holland and Barrett .I think it was the 20 billion one,sometimes it's in the penny sale.
    Originally posted by frosty
    Think it's better to eat differently to get the right gut bacteria . hard work though!
    • arielsmelody
    • By arielsmelody 8th May 18, 11:22 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    arielsmelody
    You haven't really said what kind of help you are looking for? If your depression is getting worse, surely the best thing is to take some time off work and visit your gp - they will be in a much better position than people on the internet to assess how you are and what they would recommend, whether it's medication or anything else.

Apart from work, is there anything that you have done in the past that seemed to help, that might suggest a possible way forward now?
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 8th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 6,605 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    I cut all forms of yeast and mushrooms out of my diet which helped my depression.
    Now if it starts I can trace it to eating the wrong thing and can 'ride it out' a lot easier as I know it wear off.
    I hope you find what helps you.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,506Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter