Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 28th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 7,690Posts
    • 58,020Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!
    • 28th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! 28th Apr 18 at 3:41 PM
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. Stephen Hawking.

MMM says: If you are one of the 99% of people who is forced to live with only a finite amount of money, you should probably give some thought to how that money is spent. You can buy
    things, like cars and mobile phone plans for your kids, or you can buy freedom, in the form of paying off your debts, saving most of what you earn, and soon being able to choose your own work schedule or even retire early.

Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? To get out of debt? Too stay out of debt? To build up savings / an Emergency Fund? FIRE? What is your personal timeline for reaching your goal? If it seems too far away, break it down.

Money: know your income and outgoings. To the penny. Know when every single DD goes out, when the annual payments are required. If you cannot cope with cash in your pocket, only use a card; if, like me, you work better with cash, then use that. Note down EVERY single spend and eliminate the unnecessary ones.

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Last month we were encouraged to take up a new hobby / revive an old one. Such a good thing to do!

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Find your level of activity and crank it up a notch (Iíve recently upped some of my kettlebell exercises from 8K to 12K). Get outside. Play!

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Does following other threads or blogs inspire you? Dedicate some time each week to expanding your reading and finding ideas that you can use Ė and please tell us about them.

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Whether you opt to work more or to spend less in order to achieve your goal, stand firm against the naysayers. Stand strong in your personal quest against consumerism and the futility of always acquiring more.

Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Donít just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful.

The Rules:

We start on May 1st and continue to the very end of the 31st.

19 NSD: you have 12 days to spend, so use them wisely, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term this month. Petrol, medications and emergency travel needs are exempt. As are reduced items if that is all you buy.

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5.

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest.

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries.

Check in every day. Short posts, long posts, ups and downs. Turtles are gregarious and friendly, they look after each other and encourage each other out of their shells.

Who will join me on a quest to fight consumerism and the Ferenghi prerogative of 'acquisition, acquisition, acquisition'? Sign up below for a month of debt-fighting, money saving and general turtle fun.

NST September Sunshine #4; NSD 8/21; Ex 8/21 ; craft 7 (121); remove 32 (621)
    2018 Pay off: £3437; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW 1/10

Mortgage £19,614 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 16
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 17th May 18, 9:05 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    • 12 NSDs - 8/12
    • Budgets - £250 food and £100 social - £135.07 food and £40.58 social
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one (remembering to include a larger variety of meals) - 3 portions of veggie omelettes, 3 portions of veggie lasagna, 4 portions of butternut squash soup and 5 portions of vegetable curry made. Plan to add risotto, cottage pie and fish cakes to the menu sometime this month too
    • Make an extra £93 through surveys - £62.08 made to date
    • Continue building the full and final fund - £201.27 added to date
    • I'm making up Christmas gift boxes for local disadvantaged children. So far I've done two teenage boys and started on a boy 9-12 months but still more to get for him so I'll continue with that - purchased a lift the flap book for £2.79
    • Plans - safari park and dinner/new avengers movie. Will also allow for a visit to soft play and I need to take the little one swimming as we're holidaying in June and he's never been in a pool - safari park cancelled, soft play on the 12th with friend and her daughter turned into a free teddy bear picnic at the park, food and avengers on the 19th and lunch with work colleagues on 23rd (just remembered!)
    • Read as much as possible - 4 books finished
    • Finish my final OU essay for this module - 6 weeks of reading to catch up with first, week 1 still in progress!
    Debt 1 - £182.93/£2538
    SPC11 #564
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Quick check in from me tonight as I have been playing with my new present. My mam has very kindly bought me a new tv It's huge and smart and clear and it took me 4 hours to put the stand together to rest it on, but it is amazing!

Chemistry exam was challenging. Not feeling too good about it but it's over and done with now.
    Sunshine September #12 NSD 11 1 debt vs 100 days £262.01/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 17th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 26,118 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Only had a couple of hours sleep, think I missed my 'window' for getting to sleep - was ready to drop off, then something disturbed me and then I was unable to get to sleep.

Had the brilliant idea of going for a walk at 6am as it was light but still cool and shady. I am out of condition - took me nearly twice as long as it should and then had to sit down twice. One of the local drunks sat down beside me and started a conversation. He's a drunk but also a gentleman - he usually wears a hat (a proper one not a beanie or a cap) and he always takes his hat off and greets me politely (does the full Walter Raleigh flourish sometimes). He also berates the other drunks if they are blocking the pathway and tells them to stand aside to 'let the lady pass'.

Had my bath, did some sorting (buttons again, amongst other things), took a taxi to therapy but walked back, had pulled hm chilli from the freezer yesterday. More work on the kitchen this afternoon, clean pots away, scrubbed the pans that had burnt on stuff, took down the Christmas tree (yes you read that right) and brought all the decorations upstairs (yet another thing that has to fit in my room somewhere). Swept most of the floor (still some stuff to move) and contemplated the diy bits I want to do in the kitchen (made a start in January and then got sick and ran ot of steam). Also considering what needs doing in the yard to return it to order.

Bought a few healthy food bits and went back out just before closing time to buy ibruprofen and antiseptic cream.

Today I am grateful for starting to feel better and rgain a bit of control over my life. Feeling good, peaceful and tiny tendrils of hope are emerging. Will soon be bouncing.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Sep #14 SFD 3 /15 Food £148.30/£200 Travel 99.80/£15 Ent/diy £15/£30 Ext wedding stuff
    No Debt No mortgage
    • Debtfreewannabme
    • By Debtfreewannabme 17th May 18, 11:11 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    Debtfreewannabme
    Helloo, checking in after a rough few weeks. Things are finally picking up. Things are on track with our finances. We are still debt free, emergency fund still on situ and this month marks the 1st month we are officially boosting the house fund. We have the fun task of finding time and energy to open a life time isa! Not looking forward to that. Really hope you are all well and that the month has been going to plan xx
    I am now debt free - 20/03/18. Whatever your situation - just.keep.going!
    EF £1000/£1000 goal
    CHILDCARE Savings goal £600/£600
    EF 3 month goal £3,500/£3,500
    HOUSE DEPOSIT £0/£20,000
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 17th May 18, 11:37 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 27,128 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? My motivation is to cut down on the unnecessary spending and pay for some renovations to this property. In order to do this I think we need to be saving money by doing any jobs we can realistically (!) do ourselves. I found the key to the padlock - yaay! What I should say is that I was not sleeping well, then suddenly thought where it *might* be. Cue for me to get up in the pitch dark & fiddle about in the bathroom till I found my painting trousers, sure enough the key was in the pocket...could have left it but knew I wouldn't sleep unless I had checked. And then, mobile rang at 4.50 am.. DD an emergency services worker on night shift...yes it was a mistake, received a text just after saying sorry....but I was awake again...Ah well it wasn't bad news but felt a bit tired today. Did an hour in the garden because I knew we were off out, more progress which is good.

Money: know your income and outgoings. All DD bills should have gone out by now and I am going to add up our income, that won't take very long.. so far have done now two grocery shops. Grocery bill so far £57.07. More grocery shopping yesterday, Lidl, CS, & then M&S so spendy day. Need to add up receipts. Big spendy day as bought a gift for DH birthday/Christmas which obvs is later in the year, but I will have it tomorrow. Then YS shopping in a couple of MnS all good, lots of nice foods very cheap., although very pricy to start with of course.

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Sleep not great, eating - is Nandos classed as eating well?....thought not. Could be better. Enjoy being outside this morning so that's a bonus.

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Got out into garden for an hour, then time spent walking round the shops - that's exercise right? Although did take the lift in Lakeland after having been up to the second floor, first floor, ground floor - only to discover the item I wanted was on the second floor of course.....

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Have not done much decluttering but have identified some items to sell to a fellow collector. Just need to find out how to price, which will be tricky as rare items & not available so need to research somehow. Got reply from friend re collectables; need to send her some photos & she has a source that she can consult. Sadly also told me she is very unwell with heart trouble. Photographed stuff to send to friend & actually sent them to her, so process started although I don't expect to hear for a little while. Took more photos, will post to try & get more sales. Lady received DVDs & says that she showed one film at the weekend, which she says will increase my DVD sales. Well she was true to her word, I got back tonight to an order for 4 DVDs to Germany - not sure I even have 4 of the right format etc left. DH currently downstairs fiddling with his equipment trying to copy/make more of them.... Good man.

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Glad we are not bothered about 'keeping up with the Joneses' - have done that a long time ago but really do not care any more. It's how some people validate themselves & that's fine, but not for me. We are now free from paid work commitments but spent many years getting there, wish it had been sooner. Desperate need of decluttering & getting rid of old lifestyle. Am going to do this so will post progress on here to keep me accountable. Only progress on this today is that I bought some jumbo storage bags to get the bedding into, let's see if they work now.

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don't just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Gratitudes For a nice day & meal out & fine but not hot weather, for getting some good food YS, for a DH who will try & do the technical stuff, as he is hopelessly impractical, for Betty's fondant fancies, for putting gorgeous vintage embroidered sheets on the bed - we rag all this kind of stuff at the CS -

NSD still 8/19

Check ins: 15/31

Finally done charity donation through euro account. Ten euro to the doggies...of West Cork
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 18th May 18, 7:11 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 14,539 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 9 achieved.

Today is.. (wait for it!.....) more wallpaper stripping. Same room, different wall, and hamster cage cleaning (whoop!!).

Was listening to car radio taking kids to school and Chris E was giving his usual trite nonsense ' inspirational thought of the day' stuff with some American bloke, when they said - make one room in your house beautiful - and I thought yes, that is what I am doingr. and then reminded myself I have only been living here for 24 months. only 2 years. When I think what I have actually achieved in that time I am impressed. I know lots of people who have been in their house for over 10 years and it is still a mess. I am getting somewhere (honest!)
    Just need to keep the impetus up, and remember next week is the last week of school before half term ( 3 day weekend next weekend Turtles!!)

Not that it makes any difference to me.
    I have just not really enjoyed May very much this year.
    I am putting it down to woodchip poisoning
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999June 105,999.99July 105,300.00
    Aug £103,999.99
    September £102,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 18th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Good Morning everyone,
    Today is going to be an NSD. It helps I have no money to spend now until Monday. lol
    #545- SPC September No Spend 4/15
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 18th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    I'm still on NSD 10/19...

This week I went out for a planned lunch with work, ordered the cheapest thing on the menu and tap water whilst everyone else had drinks and main meals; bill comes "let's just split it evenly" everyone says. Great. I spent half my personal budget for the whole month on a bowl of chips and tap water. I have got a baby to save for...

Yesterday, 50p in a card for someone at work, it was all I had left.

Today, food shop, and the fuel light has just come on in my car. a) I've got no diesel budget left and b) I'm feeling too exhausted to go out for fuel after work, but don't want to spend 4 days in a row.

Budgets:
    Groceries - 197.46/200 - will go over this
    Personal - 11.50/23.45
    Diesel - 30/30 - this will probably change later, money allocated to personal savings will have to be used
    NSDs - 10/19

Picking up a bag of second hand baby clothes tomorrow, hoping there is sufficient newborn stuff in there as there isn't going to be anything leftover from usual spends for any; and I got in trouble with midwife for being almost-at-term without suitable clothing.

Between circumstances conspiring against me and having awful back pains, Braxton hicks and painful baby movements - I am in a real grump!
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 18th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 14,539 Thanks
    f0xh0les

Picking up a bag of second hand baby clothes tomorrow, hoping there is sufficient newborn stuff in there as there isn't going to be anything leftover from usual spends for any; and I got in trouble with midwife for being almost-at-term without suitable clothing.
    Originally posted by LavenderBee
    ????????

She did what???? The cheeky mare!

The last time I looked, most major supermarkets had a baby section and were open every day. And new dads are so proud to go out and hunt their new baby an outfit that they chose for themselves, and basically apart from the odd baby snuggle there is !!!!!! all for them to do anyway (if you were planning to b/f) apart from make the tea.
    You will be drowning in baby stuff, it appears from nowhere!
    Or put out a call on freecycle - no need for it to cost you anything. Pass it on when you are done, they grow out of stuff in 4 weeks anyway.

DS2 who the midwive swore blind was only going to be 6lb odd made an appearance at 10lb 1 and went straight into 3-6 months clothes. He was practically an elephant. So when they get better at guessing at what size your baby is, then you go to them for fashion advice. - Sorry, after having to deal with midwives 4 times, I learnt to nod and smile.........

At nearly full term, in this heat, you should be lying in a paddling pool in the garden with people waving osterich feather fans over you and passing you mocktails whilst giving you a foot rub.

You are doing great. Growing humans is not for the faint hearted.
    Go You!

Rotten about the bill splitting - make sure you email work to let them know the sex of the new arrival when they arrive - you might make the money back when you return their gifts.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999June 105,999.99July 105,300.00
    Aug £103,999.99
    September £102,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 18th May 18, 2:19 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 27,788 Thanks
    thriftylass
    This week I went out for a planned lunch with work, ordered the cheapest thing on the menu and tap water whilst everyone else had drinks and main meals; bill comes "let's just split it evenly" everyone says. Great. I spent half my personal budget for the whole month on a bowl of chips and tap water. I have got a baby to save for...

..... and I got in trouble with midwife for being almost-at-term without suitable clothing.

Originally posted by LavenderBee
    Firstly, you're lunch friends/colleagues should've maybe noticed and not put you under that pressure. Plus, I now just say, no, I pay for my own because.....Thank you very much. Done it with friends and work a like.

re: the clothes. I almost thought she meant you and thought what's the problem I never wore maternity clothes . But in regards to the baby clothes I agree with f0xh0les, you can't be sure what size it'll be. We just had one or two suits for taking the baby home. Just as well as both of ours were meant to be small too and were huge in the end. All you need is a pack of plain romper suits for a fiver from Tesco if you can't get second hand.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 18-05-2018 at 2:21 PM.
    NST Sept
    SFD 4/20 spends ?!?!?/460
    Exercise 3/20
    Debt - all 0% 1200 to go from 5290
    DFD 11/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 102117 (09/18) OP 0
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 18th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 23,924 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD: 13/19 Was a NSD today.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing. So far doing ok.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Did wordsearch and mindfulness colouring. Lavender oil in the burner. Watched 2 episodes of Murder She Wrote. Had a relaxing bath.
    Move: Walked from school to bus stop after work and around the school doing errands.
    Activation: To get my spending down to a reasonable amount.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this.
    Donation to charity: Done for the month.
    Grateful for:
    It being Friday.
    Dealing with quite a bit in work.
    Having a chilled evening.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST September: Sunshine Challenge NSD 16/20
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 18th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 7,690 Posts
    • 58,020 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful that the birds never have a bad day and stop singing, for a friend lending us some camping bits, for dh being much less grumpy than recently, for sunshine, for dd enjoying her trip to the Oval, for a not-previously-seen Father Brown episode, for finding some grey wool for my minions goggles, for doing my kettlebell workout.

Mortgage £19,614 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • misstara
    • By misstara 18th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 2,876 Posts
    • 20,333 Thanks
    misstara
    NSD yesterday which takes me to 8/19 . Really need to get some more NSDs as bank balance is looking a bit sad.

Spent £12.10 on food today but got quite a few ys bits that have gone in the freezer. Also got some lettuce seeds which I'll plant over the weekend.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £570.94 (75.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £406.58 (49% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 9/60
    Emergency fund - £77.04/£1000. Car fund - £240/£1000.
    Mini Targets in September
    Exercise target - 2/16. Groceries target £74.23/£200. NSD target 6/20.
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 18th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

NSD #9 for me today.

Finally finished the 1st week of reading (out of 6!) I needed to do for my final OU essay.

Paid the discounted money to PRA Group to settle one of my credit card debts, that's my debt gone from £18,047.10 down to £14,403.05 . Will keep an eye out to make sure my credit report is updated soon.
    Last edited by swimminginaseaofdebt; 18-05-2018 at 9:57 PM.
    Debt 1 - £182.93/£2538
    SPC11 #564
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 18th May 18, 9:52 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 2,158 Thanks
    bizzie
    After a couple of spendy days, now at NSDs #10/19.
    Planning to make do with what's in the freezer/fridge/cupboards until Monday. There is plenty.
    DD has a charity cake sale next week at school, so fully stocked with ingredients for baking over the next couple of days.

Have put on paper my progress/thoughts against "MAY", I find it easier with a pen and paper but may(!) upload my scribblings to create a permanent record of where I am at.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Groceries 282.84/300.00 Personal Spend /100.00
    NST September #22 NSD 12/15 @20/09/18
    Goals for 2018: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 18th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 26,118 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Take everything midwives say with a pinch of salt. With DS1 they shouted at me because I had put on weight (after spending Christmas at mum's) then spent the remainder of my pregnancy meithering about me not putting any more weight on. No-one apart from the ambulance man believed I was in labour the first two times until just before the birth. DS3 was a planned home birth, which really spooked them. They used every excuse they could think of as to why it couldn't happen and on the day the one who had been most vehemently against it, really wanted to be there.

Woke feeling creaky but all livable with. I am taking it to mean that I did just the right amount of work yesterday, slightly pushing myself but not so much that I can't move tomorrow.

Spent today on fizzy water, sandwich fillings, fruit and an impulse buy of a bunch of roses for mum - cream with deep pink fringes. Taxi was expected to be 1/2 hour plus, so sat on a handy yellow bench which said grit salt.

The baby twins were visiting mum. They are just entering the 'fear of strangers' stage and as they haven't visited for a while, we qualify. I had more success than mum, waited for them to make their mind up and come to me.

After they had gone I undid mum's 'winterization' of the hose pipe - bubble wrap, plastic bags, bin bags, all finished off with a roll of duct tape, such fun. Watered the raised bed I put together and watered in another block of coir compost (40l one).

Taped the posts and painted two - end of that paint can. Then unwrapped the rose bush, collected the masking tape and scissors, locked the shed, shut the french windows, opened them again to bring in mum's walker, shut and locked them. We completed the cupcake jigsaw, new one to start next week.

Home now but everything hurts. Will see how mobile I am tomorrow.

Today I am grateful for a great taxi firm, lilacs in bloom, being able to use the hose instead of ferrying buckets of water back and forth, mum making a lovely 'leftover' tea, DS2 having left a meal for me (someone has been teaching him to cook healthily - he spent most of his university years sharing with 5 other lads so mainly fry ups).
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Sep #14 SFD 3 /15 Food £148.30/£200 Travel 99.80/£15 Ent/diy £15/£30 Ext wedding stuff
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 18th May 18, 11:53 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 27,128 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? My motivation is to cut down on the unnecessary spending and pay for some renovations to this property. In order to do this I think we need to be saving money by doing any jobs we can realistically (!) do ourselves. Small amount done in garden today; mainly rescuing BBQ which has been outside all winter (though under a tarp) & has in consequence suffered somewhat. Painted the wooden bits at the side & DH cleaned all the inside bits so is passable for now, the wheels however have broken off so it's mainly staying where it is for now. Also used one of the jumbo storage bags, worked a treat so will get on with that.

Money: know your income and outgoings. All DD bills should have gone out by now and I am going to add up our income, that won't take very long.. so far have done now two grocery shops. Grocery bill so far £57.07. No spending today, hooray..

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Sleep good, eating - pretty good today, did include BBQ food but all healthy -ish. Enjoyed being outside this evening & enclosed garden getting prettier.

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Only a small amount of work in garden today - oh but I forgot, did cut the grass - quite a workout that is.

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Have not done much decluttering but have identified some items to sell to a fellow collector. Just need to find out how to price, which will be tricky as rare items & not available so need to research somehow. Got reply from friend re collectables; need to send her some photos & she has a source that she can consult. Sadly also told me she is very unwell with heart trouble. Photographed stuff to send to friend & actually sent them to her, so process started although I don't expect to hear for a little while. Took more photos, will post to try & get more sales. Lady received DVDs & says that she showed one film at the weekend, which she says will increase my DVD sales. Went on to PayPal to find loads of DVD orders - can fulfil all UK ones - just - but will need to have some US format made as orders from there too now...yikes..

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Glad we are not bothered about 'keeping up with the Joneses' - have done that a long time ago but really do not care any more. It's how some people validate themselves & that's fine, but not for me. We are now free from paid work commitments but spent many years getting there, wish it had been sooner. Desperate need of decluttering & getting rid of old lifestyle. Am going to do this so will post progress on here to keep me accountable. Got all teddy bear bedding into storage bag, huge amount of space saved there & will definitely do more, even DH was impressed. And they are guaranteed for 5 years as well.

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don't just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Gratitudes first BBQ of the season chez Sashanut; lots of orders for dvds boosting my PayPal; DHs gift arriving & looks great, have to hide now for months - and remember where; huge scented white lilac tree in enclosed garden..; nice email from dog rescue thanking me for donation, they have 60 dogs & are full to capacity so every little helps...

NSDs now 9/19

Check ins: 17/31

Finally done charity donation through euro account. Ten euro to the doggies...of West Cork
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 19th May 18, 7:55 AM
    • 7,690 Posts
    • 58,020 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Congratulations swimminginaseaofdebt on paying off that debt. Well done you!

• greent
    • By greent 19th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 7,341 Posts
    • 74,449 Thanks
    greent
    Days 16 thru 18
    Awol again re: DS3's virus and my busy-ness at work. Combination of OH taking time to work from home and my mum looking after him and me swapping a shift around - we got there! Easier after this week if he or DS2 are ill during exams as DD (20) is back from uni today so she will be around to look after them (she's very sensible and her brothers love her to pieces) Not that I expect any more bugs! DS3 ended up with the whole week off. He should be ok for school again on Mon (which is his bday) but will probably be tired - he has a chesty cough and the one eye is still irritated.

Motivation: have short/ medium/ long term goals. Paid £10 to my CC yesterday from rounded up small sale to Mus1cMagpie and £5 to BTL mtge
    Money: All DDs gone so all money left is ours... and there is basically none left now until the CB arrives (28th?)!
    Move: mixed results with a poorly DS3 and invigilating exams in small rooms so no need to move much
    Activation: What spurs you on? - Not feeling it so much this month - probably a combination of DS3's bug, work and hayfever. Have succumbed to too many takeaways this week - haven't slept properly as DS3 has been in our bed all week
    Arm yourself :small amount of decluttering to MMagp1e resulted in small pymt to CC. However, failed on spending and spent several times on takeaways
    Appreciate what you have. Be grateful.
    * sunny weather
    * DS2's school rugby shirt turning up after going missing a month ago (a replacement would cost just over £30!)
    * the granite in the kitchen finally getting sorted - we can begin to move on now!

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5. - monthly DD to WWT. 2 bags of items donated to shoebox appeal - new bag started Huge bag of stuff donated to CS (some new in packaging). Also donated some random foreign coins (ie: not euros or dollars) to school collection - they raise money from them

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest. - done Few small extra payments made since. Also took remaining balance from OH's switching c/ac (unused for several months) and paid to CC (just over £65) OP to mtge of £220.

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, - sort of - have written in work days, day when collecting DD from uni, DS3's, my mum's, my sister's, my aunt's and bestie's husband's bdays... Am not going to plan food, though).

Check in every day. oops -am checking in sporadically....

NSDs - 5/19 - don't think we've managed another one since...

Collecting DD from uni today, so spend on the bridge toll. OH also out tonight with old school friend, so beer money needed...... (I'm on taxi duty)
    Last edited by greent; 19-05-2018 at 8:25 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £6100/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £655.15/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 19th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 36,916 Thanks
    dolly84
    swimminginaseaofdebt - well done on your debt busting progress.

lavenderbee - there is nothing fun about the latter stages of pregnancy, when baby arrives your body does repair itself pretty quickly though.

mothernerd - productive as ever.

Plan for today is to be at mums this morning and try to clean the huge amount of blood out of the carpet for the third time and to be there whilst the key safe guy comes, also need to get some keys cut for her house and visit her in hospital today too. Need to get DD some shorts for summer if we can today and call at the library to collect a book and return another.

Cycled yesterday so if I don't get chance to exercise today that's fine.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,471Users online

Martin's Twitter