Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 28th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 7,295Posts
    • 54,885Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!
    • 28th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! 28th Apr 18 at 3:41 PM
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. Stephen Hawking.

MMM says: If you are one of the 99% of people who is forced to live with only a finite amount of money, you should probably give some thought to how that money is spent. You can buy
    things, like cars and mobile phone plans for your kids, or you can buy freedom, in the form of paying off your debts, saving most of what you earn, and soon being able to choose your own work schedule or even retire early.

Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? To get out of debt? Too stay out of debt? To build up savings / an Emergency Fund? FIRE? What is your personal timeline for reaching your goal? If it seems too far away, break it down.

Money: know your income and outgoings. To the penny. Know when every single DD goes out, when the annual payments are required. If you cannot cope with cash in your pocket, only use a card; if, like me, you work better with cash, then use that. Note down EVERY single spend and eliminate the unnecessary ones.

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Last month we were encouraged to take up a new hobby / revive an old one. Such a good thing to do!

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Find your level of activity and crank it up a notch (Iíve recently upped some of my kettlebell exercises from 8K to 12K). Get outside. Play!

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Does following other threads or blogs inspire you? Dedicate some time each week to expanding your reading and finding ideas that you can use Ė and please tell us about them.

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Whether you opt to work more or to spend less in order to achieve your goal, stand firm against the naysayers. Stand strong in your personal quest against consumerism and the futility of always acquiring more.

Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Donít just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful.

The Rules:

We start on May 1st and continue to the very end of the 31st.

19 NSD: you have 12 days to spend, so use them wisely, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term this month. Petrol, medications and emergency travel needs are exempt. As are reduced items if that is all you buy.

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5.

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest.

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries.

Check in every day. Short posts, long posts, ups and downs. Turtles are gregarious and friendly, they look after each other and encourage each other out of their shells.

Who will join me on a quest to fight consumerism and the Ferenghi prerogative of 'acquisition, acquisition, acquisition'? Sign up below for a month of debt-fighting, money saving and general turtle fun.

NST May #1; NSD 14/19 ; Ex 17/20 ; craft 3/30 (66); remove 31 (402)
    2018 Pay off: £1626; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 14
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 14th May 18, 3:58 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    NSD 9/19 for me. Nothing else to report other than how bloomin tired I am now. Wishing away the next 2 weeks of my life until maternity leave starts; to my surprise I am definitely ready for it and when it arrives I shall be very grateful indeed!
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 14th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 2,314 Posts
    • 22,420 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD: 10/19 Was an NSD today.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing. So far doing ok with not doing emotional spending and not spending without thinking.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Read a book. Did wordsearch and mindfulness colouring.
    Move: Did not do today.
    Activation: To get my spending down to a reasonable amount.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this. Not being tempted by emails regarding discounts.
    Donation to charity: Done for the month.
    Grateful for:
    Achieving quite a few things in work.
    Getting a job interview for a permanent job more locally next week.
    Nice weather.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 14-05-2018 at 7:37 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! NSD 18/19
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 14th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 7,295 Posts
    • 54,885 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Good luck with the forthcoming interview kerry woman.

Today I am grateful for a dry day, cheerful pupils, getting some marking done, getting some long-standing to-dos done at work, for keeping the difficult-to-keep-happy chap at work happy and boosting his ego, for a beautiful butterfly lavender plant from the step-kids, for scones and jam and cream, for starting my exam standardisation okay and for having tomorrow to crack on with it.
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 14th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 18,441 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Evening all.
    Very pleasant weekend here. Went for a Parkrun on Saturday, then managed to cajole BF to the gym! spent the afternoon watching vids.
    Yesterday we did a 10k that had been postponed in March due to the weather. I kept with BF til about halfway for support, then I shot off and left him in my dust After lunch I headed into town for some Poke-hunting (3 new pokes, successful trip).

First spends of the month, new dog harness on Saturday, and sun lounger on Sunday. Not too bad,

Money: know your income and outgoings. Spreadsheets updated. I want to buy a few race tickets for later in the year, so I've added them into the upcoming months.

Me time: Look after yourself. Revive an old hobby. Exam practice. Practiced today. Only 20 minutes, but it's better that nothing!

Move: Run, Run, Gym, Walk and walkies today

Activation: What spurs you on to keep on the path? A nice quote today: "Don't give up want you want most, for what you want now"

Arm yourself : Whether you opt to work more or to spend less in order to achieve your goal, stand firm against the naysayers. More surveys. I'm eager to pay mum off, so I'm looking for every penny I can add to the pot.
    Planned spends this month - £20 tattoo deposit.

You. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Today I am grateful we got a lot of work done today, my colleague is on hol for the week from tomorrow, so less for me to do tomorrow.

19 NSD: 11/19 NSDs Achieved. Another NSD.

Minimalism: Day Forteen - 14 items. The last couple of days I've gotten rid of a load of comics and a few other bits & bobs, which completed Days 13,14 and 15.

Check in every day. Here I am
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's - 13/19 / Lose weight 11.2 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £139.93/£1800
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th May 18, 8:58 PM
    • 3,513 Posts
    • 30,069 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Good day today. Bagged a nsd, swallowed a couple of frogs, got through my to-do list at work. And the sun has been shining so I'll take that.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 24,627 Thanks
    mothernerd
    woke on Friday feeling dreadful - all minor things but cumulatively very debiitating. However kept plodding on and the kitchen is looking much better. Done most of the washing up, processed all the recycling, dealt with a nasty black bag and hidden bits everywhere, several loads of washing done and dried outside (spreading things over bushes now, very medieaval) and brought armloads of clothes back upstairs (they were covering the kitchen table, heaped as high as my head on two chairs and there were bits that had fallen to the floor. About 5 bags for life emptied and can see floor space. Also dealt with a large glass jar (little demijohn thing with a tap) which DS3 caught as he was running away from a wasp.

As usual, not done anywhere near as much as I wanted to, but am pleased that I did enough to make a difference, especially when I needed to rest so often. I have untangled, labelled and stock checked about 200 embroidery threads (probably more) and done a little sewing.

Today I have been to mum's and painted the base boards to the fence panels and sorted a bit more of her latest jigsaw. Picked one with 20 pictures of cupcakes mostly with different backgrounds so on Friday I picked out yellow and green pieces for mum to put together and I worked on the borders between each section. Today I've worked on purple, plum and other dark bits and tried to put them in some sort of order - they will go on the table soon but have arranged them in smaller sections for now.

Today I am grateful for being back on my bed resting my nagging back, for getting the painting done (edges and one corner still to finish off), for a lovely tea and getting through 4 days of caffeine cold turkey.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST May #13 SFD 10/19 Food £129.13/£120 Travel £15.20/£15 Ent £22.44/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 14th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 4,243 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

I went to buy two 1st class stamps for the first time in ages from the newsagents this afternoon and got charged 89p per stamp . Thought to myself gosh that's expensive nowadays but have just looked online and it says 67p so looks like I got fleeced!

Anyway that's my rant for today and in other news:
    • 12 NSDs - 6/12
    • Budgets - £250 food and £100 social - £135.07 food and £31.38 social
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one (remembering to include a larger variety of meals) - 3 portions of veggie omelettes, 3 portions of veggie lasagna, 4 portions of butternut squash soup and 5 portions of vegetable curry made. Plan to add risotto, cottage pie and fish cakes to the menu sometime this month too
    • Make an extra £93 through surveys - £60.67 made to date
    • Continue building the full and final fund - £201.27 added to date
    • I'm making up Christmas gift boxes for local disadvantaged children. So far I've done two teenage boys and started on a boy 9-12 months but still more to get for him so I'll continue with that
    • Plans - safari park and dinner/new avengers movie. Will also allow for a visit to soft play and I need to take the little one swimming as we're holidaying in June and he's never been in a pool - safari park cancelled, soft play on the 12th with friend and her daughter turned into a free teddy bear picnic at the park, food and avengers on the 19th and lunch with work colleagues on 23rd (just remembered!)
    • Read as much as possible - 1 book in progress, 3 books finished
    • Finish my final OU essay for this module - 6 weeks of reading to catch up with first, week 1 still in progress!

Kerry Woman good luck with your interview.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2018 #150 - £895.62/£2018
    SPC11 #564
    • misstara
    • By misstara 14th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 19,317 Thanks
    misstara
    First day back at work today and it's been a NSD so now on 6/19
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £804.26 (65.1% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £542.46 (32% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £36/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in May
    Exercise target - 10/16. Groceries target £170.88/£200. NSD target 12/19.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 14th May 18, 11:34 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 25,879 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? My motivation is to cut down on the unnecessary spending and pay for some renovations to this property. In order to do this I think we need to be saving money by doing any jobs we can realistically (!) do ourselves. Woke up at 6.15 with migraine so not a lot done today, cross with myself. Not much done in garden today but did try to do more sorting in house.

Money: know your income and outgoings. All DD bills should have gone out by now and I am going to add up our income, that won't take very long.. so far have done now two grocery shops. Grocery bill so far £57.07. No spends today, we were going out for the afternoon but postponed it till later in the week.

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Sleep ok, eating OK but could be better.

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Not much gardening movement today due to feeling blurgh, although I did get out in the evening when feeling better & planted some stuff.

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Have not done much decluttering but have identified some items to sell to a fellow collector. Just need to find out how to price, which will be tricky as rare items & not available so need to research somehow. Got reply from friend re collectables; need to send her some photos & she has a source that she can consult. Sadly also told me she is very unwell with heart trouble. Photographed stuff to send to friend & actually sent them to her, so process started although I don't expect to hear for a little while. Got top ready to send, but then we decided not to go out till later in the week so DH will post tomorrow..also sold 2 DVDs that I made on this collecting hobby, bit of a surprise there but most welcome.

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Glad we are not bothered about 'keeping up with the Joneses' - have done that a long time ago but really do not care any more. It's how some people validate themselves & that's fine, but not for me. We are now free from paid work commitments but spent many years getting there, wish it had been sooner. Desperate need of decluttering & getting rid of old lifestyle. Am going to do this so will post progress on here to keep me accountable. Got some more things out & ironed & photographed ready. Filled a container with my winter trousers etc.

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don't just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. [B]Gratitudes[/B] For finally getting rid of the migraine; for finally getting tea in the garden with DH; for birdsong; for making unexpected sales; for trifle....

NSD now 8/19

Check ins: 14/31

Not done charity donation yet but will arrange asap. Need to do through euro account. Nope. Not done yet but must do - the charity vets bills etc come to 20,000 euro this month & that has cleaned out their account. Can spare a few euro to help. Will do tomorrow.....

Good luck with the interview [B]Kerry Woman[/B]
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 11,547 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 7 in the bag

Woodchip is indeed evil. Our ceilings are 4 metres high so I managed to strip less than a metre from floor to ceiling after 4 hours solid scraping. Bleugh.

Good luck with plant based. Hope you love it.

Taking DH to dentist at lunchtime (he is a wuss who should keep away from seaside rock if he wants to keep his fillings!!) So will have a look in some charity shops while he is under the dentist.

Sun is shining. Unexpected courgette plant appeared after 2 weeks. Basil seeds all growing. Lettuce looking good, rocket rocketting, tomatoes came up, herbs going mad.

Cl0bcard vouchers ready - all £3 of them!!
    Complained about disappointing coffee pods, vouchers in the post.

Have a few ££s in my purse in shrapnel, for emergencies.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 15th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 27,090 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Sun is shining. Unexpected courgette plant appeared after 2 weeks. Basil seeds all growing. Lettuce looking good, rocket rocketting, tomatoes came up, herbs going mad.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Finally another SFD here too.

My garden seems to come round to growing stuff finally too. The tatties have finally broken through. Two courgettes died because it was too cold recently, one of four is fine and the other one lost both it's first two leaves to the cold but is making a recovery...........there is hope will get sth yet this year

Not much else to report. Run, HM lunch to work and the usual after work.

EDIT: Just phoned Tescimo mobile to cancel my contract which was only £7.50 a month anyway, and go back to PAYG. But got my contract reduced to a fiver a month which is actually better than PAUG for my usage, result.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 15-05-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 15th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,314 Posts
    • 22,420 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    apple muncher and swimminginaseaofdebt - Thank you.
    NSD: 11/19 Was an NSD today.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing. So far doing ok with not doing emotional spending and not spending without thinking.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Read some of a book. Did wordsearch and mindfulness colouring. Also lavender oil in the burner.
    Move: Only walked around the school doing errands.
    Activation: To get my spending down to a reasonable amount.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this. Not being tempted by emails regarding discounts.
    Donation to charity: Done for the month.
    Grateful for:
    Overtime.
    Laughter in the workplace.
    Having a chilled out evening.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour! NSD 18/19
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 7,295 Posts
    • 54,885 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for being able to laugh and not panic in the face of technical shenanigans, for enjoying the day, for minimal shopping, for nearly 20k steps, for dh being home 2 hours earlier than expected, for pink pens, for my KB workout, for time with dd.
    018 sell

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 15th May 18, 9:23 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 24,627 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Another NSD. Got myself ready, renewed library books online, went to mum's. Spent all afternoon disguising a falling apart fence with plastic netting, trellis, fake foliage and flowers, then trained the climbers up the onto it (one quite large but the other two only just starting to grow).

Made food, did a bit more jigsaw, watched Yorkshire Vet, came home and put the bins out.

Today I am grateful for not getting sunburn or excema, for doing more than I thought I would get done (watered the strawberries as well), for being able to renew library books on-line, for not buying anything.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST May #13 SFD 10/19 Food £129.13/£120 Travel £15.20/£15 Ent £22.44/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • misstara
    • By misstara 15th May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 19,317 Thanks
    misstara
    NSDs - another one for me today so now up to 7/19
    Move - very lazy today
    Money - got £22.83 from PA today and paid £2.83 to the debt . Both mine and OH's mobile phones are now out of contract so got another sim only one for me but a new phone for OH as his last one is just hanging on. Managed to save £5 on what we pay now, not much but every little helps!
    Arm yourself - got a few payouts from surveys recently which is motivating me to do more
    You - grateful for line dried washing, sausages, chips and beans for tea, things growing in the garden
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £804.26 (65.1% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £542.46 (32% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £36/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in May
    Exercise target - 10/16. Groceries target £170.88/£200. NSD target 12/19.
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 15th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 4,243 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

NSD #7 for me today.

No other MSE worthy news to report.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2018 #150 - £895.62/£2018
    SPC11 #564
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 15th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    NSD 10/19. Even though I'm strongly disliking the process, I'm grateful for being pregnant and having little one on the way.

Good luck for your interview KerryWoman
    • Puddleglum
    • By Puddleglum 16th May 18, 7:06 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    Puddleglum
    NSD 8/19 here. Got back last night from another 2 day DofE practice. The students were the best group yet that we have taken out and I am truly grateful for that.

Being a bit impatient with the detox diet (definitely do feel better, the post nasal drip has gone) I bought 5 herbs, five diff types of veg and 5 protein sources for this week. Still on budget. Bacon and spinach for breakfast with a cup of mint and lemon tea. Not sure that this way of eating will go global yet though.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

Pay off debts and save 2018. Time to turn my life around (candle moment).
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 16th May 18, 7:12 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 11,547 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 10/19. Even though I'm strongly disliking the process, I'm grateful for being pregnant and having little one on the way.
    Originally posted by LavenderBee

Oh Bless! It is not fun in the hot weather is it? Don't worry, you will get your pelvis back soon.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th May 18, 7:17 AM
    • 7,295 Posts
    • 54,885 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Mothernerd - well done on your coffee cold turkey!
    018 sell

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,469Posts Today

7,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin