Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 28th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 800Posts
    • 983Thanks
    Mnd
    0 WOW
    Sainsbury and Asda to merge
    • 28th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Sainsbury and Asda to merge 28th Apr 18 at 2:00 PM
    It has been reported that talks are underway for these 2 supermarket chains to merge.
    Both brands will be retained

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 01-05-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Page 6
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 39,838 Posts
    • 146,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    What an image! Like Alan Bennett on acid.

People who don't live near a Morrisons might be surprised how good a store it can be. I'm in the Sarf of England where Morrisons are scarce, in fact we only have one locally at all because it occupies a former Safeway, gobbled up in a takeover. It's a welcome addition, and has comfortably displaced overpriced, inadequately staffed Sainsburys as my top-up shop.

The meat is markedly superior to Sainsbury's or Tesco's, closer to Waitrose in quality, but cheaper than any of the others and, if not quite as well priced overall as Asda, it shows Sainsbury's a clean pair of heels. It has quite an acceptable cafe, too.

Hope for a Morrisons. It would be better than either Asda or Sainsbury's. Or even AsBobs.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    No Morrisons near me, so I was surprised when visiting another town in the county to find that it wasn't half bad!

Another quite good one was Budgens, but the only one I knew of was rather a long way on the other side of town, and now it's gone. They did have some nice things, and reasonably priced.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 4th May 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 2,426 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    I don't think we have a load of twee forum users, from memory I think the reason for the nicknames for supermarkets was something to do with stopping the supermarkets picking up miss price bargains etc found by forum users through the search function. Think there used to be a thread for such bargains.

I like Morrisons as well, but none near me.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 39,838 Posts
    • 146,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I don't think we have a load of twee forum users, from memory I think the reason for the nicknames for supermarkets was something to do with stopping the supermarkets picking up miss price bargains etc found by forum users through the search function. Think there used to be a thread for such bargains.

I like Morrisons as well, but none near me.
    Originally posted by MysteryMe
    I just find it easier to type Sainsbobs than Sainsbury's , for some reason

But yes, I know some posters think they shouldn't put the full store name as it's gratuitous advertising or something.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th May 18, 1:24 PM
    • 6,110 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Surprised ASDA has never been rebranded Walmart yet. Suppose it might happen after the Sainsburys merger.
    • MoneySavingNovice
    • By MoneySavingNovice 16th May 18, 11:09 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    MoneySavingNovice
    Surprised ASDA has never been rebranded Walmart yet. Suppose it might happen after the Sainsburys merger.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    In effect Walmart is selling Asda to Sainsburys so why would Walmart want its name on a shop its doesn't own?

• LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 6,110 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    LeeUK
    In effect Walmart is selling Asda to Sainsburys so why would Walmart want its name on a shop its doesn't own?
    Originally posted by MoneySavingNovice
    Walmart will take a 42% stake in the new combined company so why not!
    • alanq
    • By alanq 16th May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 2,663 Thanks
    alanq
    Walmart will take a 42% stake in the new combined company so why not!
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    If it didn't feel the need when it owned 100% why would it now with 42%?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th May 18, 11:42 AM
    • 6,110 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    LeeUK
    If it didn't feel the need when it owned 100% why would it now with 42%?
    Originally posted by alanq
    They are already halfway there by putting the Walmart sun behind the Asda sign.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,654Posts Today

9,315Users online

Martin's Twitter