Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobbly
    • By bobbly 27th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 18Thanks
    bobbly
    Retailer removed items from my order but still charged full postage
    • 27th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    Retailer removed items from my order but still charged full postage 27th Apr 18 at 3:52 PM
    So I was thinking of placing an order for a few items with a well known sports clothing company, but I discovered there is a £4.99 charge for delivery, no matter how expensive your order is.

I decided this delivery charge was too expensive to justify buying only a few small items. So I figured I'd make it more worthwhile by purchasing some more items. I paid with PayPal.

But the day after placing the order, the well known sports clothing retailer sent me an email to say they have cancelled some of the items on my order. They then dispatched the order, minus the cancelled items, without seeking my approval.

Although they have refunded me for the cancelled items, they are refusing to refund any proportion of the delivery cost. This doesn't seem fair, as it has increased the per-item postage cost for me, and I wouldn't have placed the order at all if I still had to pay the full £4.99 delivery cost for the fewer items they sent.

It's only a small amount of money, but it's the principle at stake here!

As far as I'm aware, I did not enter into a contract to buy fewer items for the same delivery cost. Does this mean they are in breach of contract? Or have they taken money from me without a contract? It would be interesting to know what a consumer's rights are when something like this happens.

The retailer's last word is: "Our delivery cost is fixed at £4.99 regardless of how many items are on the order, so sadly we can't reimburse any portion of this."

What should I do? Ideally I'd like to avoid having to send everything back.
Page 2
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 1st May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    But this isnít that one time - the parcel was delivered.
    Morals gone out for the day?
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 2nd May 18, 7:09 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    I'm really surprised how many MSE forumites seem to think that the retailer's actions are acceptable here.
    Originally posted by bobbly
    There are lots of dead martyrs. You have to weigh up the risk and reward of taking the fight forward, most of us are just being pragmatic.

Just don't buy from them again as I said in post #2.
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 2nd May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 3,230 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I have recently sent two parcels using Hermes. To obtain a signature on delivery there is an additional charge. I should think SD elected not to pay the extra for a signature, so before you start talking about something being illegal, and suggesting the courier could be up to no good, it might be as well to know if a signature was paid for.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 20,660 Posts
    • 55,523 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The only time I buy from Sports Direct is when I know something will definitely fit me i.e. I've tried the same thing on in store but they haven't got the colour I want.

I understand that delivery is a flat rate £4.99 and factor that in when deciding if what I want to buy is good value or not.
    And I opt for 'click and collect' so I get a £5.00 voucher to spend in store. - vouchers have a long date on them, usually at least a year.
    I either use the vouchers to buy sports socks or pass it on to my sister to buy her lad stuff for school.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 3rd May 18, 7:42 PM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    Sncjw
    You do realise things do sell out before website is updated to reflect stock.
    • bobbly
    • By bobbly 10th May 18, 3:55 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bobbly
    You do realise things do sell out before website is updated to reflect stock.
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    That sounds like their problem, not mine.
    • bobbly
    • By bobbly 10th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bobbly
    So I was only after a relatively small refund out of principle.

But because the retailer never bothered to respond to me, I opened a PayPal dispute for the full £4.99 delivery cost, as that is what I would have to pay to have the rest of the order delivered when it's back in stock.

But they didn't respond to that dispute either, so when I escalated it to a PayPal claim over a week later, I asked for a £10 partial refund to make up for the inconvenience caused by their rubbish customer service too.

... and I just got my £10 back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,584Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin