Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChloeBella
    • By ChloeBella 26th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 3Thanks
    ChloeBella
    Private health Insurance - help!
    • 26th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    Private health Insurance - help! 26th Apr 18 at 1:19 PM
    Hi

I am new here so apologies if I have posted in the wrong area!

I have had a private healthcare insurance policy through my employer which I have 65.02 deducted from my wages each month for the past 3 years, this is for full family cover.

Luckily I have never had to use it....until now, I tried to make a claim for my daughter 2 days ago, however when i spoke to Aviva they advised I was not on their system, neither was any of my family members, they held no details for me at all. it turns out that my company had not passed my details over to them, for the entire 3 years I had been paying for it!

After speaking to my employer, they admitted there had been an almighty "balls up" and added me swiftly to the policy so I could continue with the claim - however, I think I am quite rightly entitled to a full refund for the previous 3 years, so I asked them for one..............

The response I got was that they were really sorry for their mistake but as I hadn't used the cover and they had rectified the issue within 24 hours I am not owed a refund!

I don't agree and wondered if I had a case to take this further and claim back the money I have been paying for 3 years, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 26th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 26th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 26th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    If you'd needed it at any point in the last few years, surely you'd have done what you did on this occasion - rung them up and sorted it within 24 hours? You would have been insured. I don't agree that you're entitled to anything other than an apology.
    • ChloeBella
    • By ChloeBella 26th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ChloeBella
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    So if I took out gym membership for 2 years, paid every month like clockwork, but didn't go for a workout until a year later to be told, no sorry you're not a member here, you wouldn't expect a refund for the last 12 months???
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 36,346 Posts
    • 20,595 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    It's a moot point - you aren't out of pocket (as you agreed to the premium being deducted), however your employer is in pocket! (How many of your colleagues have they pulled this stunt on???)

Depends on how much you want to rock the boat over this on how you proceed.

If you have a union see if they will fight your cause!
    • Jox
    • By Jox 26th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 2,786 Thanks
    Jox
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    So where has the 65 gone every month, to the medical insurance or the employer has just been paying you 65 less than your contracted salary?

This doesn't seem fair. If it can be proven that the medical insurance hasn't been paid for 3 years for you then it would be the decent thing for the employer to pay you the salary you had deducted.

Maybe ask Acas for advice?

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

I have medical insurance at work and have dental and optical included and use this every year and if I want to make a medical claim then I have to get a referral from my GP. The medical insurance send me a certificate every year with my details.
    Last edited by Jox; 26-04-2018 at 2:53 PM.
    • ChloeBella
    • By ChloeBella 27th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ChloeBella
    • 27th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    • 27th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    I had a further phone call from the HR director yesterday, I asked if my name was on the list they sent over to Aviva, she said it wasn't, so i asked if they had been paying Aviva for me? She said no they hadn't, so my obvious question was "Where has my money been going then" and her answer??? Well that will be sitting in *insert company name here* bank account!!

Well, that has just made me even more determined to get my money back, they haven't paid Aviva a bean for me, they are a multi million pound company who posted huge profits last year and expect me to roll over and accept an apology while my money sits in their account gaining interest? I don't think so!
    • Jox
    • By Jox 27th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 2,786 Thanks
    Jox
    • 27th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 27th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    It could be around 2000 so worth seeing if they will be decent and pay this to you.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 27th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    • 36,346 Posts
    • 20,595 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 27th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    • 27th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    If your employer can simply add employees on to the policy after they want to make a claim wonder how many of your colleagues and their families aren't on Aviva's system as well???
    • Cazzaswfc
    • By Cazzaswfc 28th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    Cazzaswfc
    • 28th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 28th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    Just to clarify, when they added you to the plan did they backdate your cover?

If so technically you are not at a detriment financially as you should now be able to continue with your claim. In addition, by backdating cover this may have covered terms (some plans exclude pre existing conditions) if they added you "now" your daughter could have been declined on a moratorium basis?

I agree it's shoddy practice but potentially it could be a mistake that has been rectified and your money from deductions will possibly be now paid to the insurance company?

If your cover is for now, ignore all the above, ...you may also have been taxed on the health insurance too (you don't say if this is full of only part funded) I would be wanting a refund from my company!
    Last edited by Cazzaswfc; 28-04-2018 at 5:14 PM.
    MFW 2017 No 41 835.79/1000
    Mortgage at December 2015. 55003.41
    Mortgage at December 2016. 51173.04
    Current MF date November 2034
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 28th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Zorillo
    I don't understand why you think you're entitled to your money back. It's an administrative mistake, is all. If you'd needed the cover the mistake would've been rectified immediately (as it was). You have had the benefit of the insurance you paid for because you were unaware of the issue, and the cover was provided when you needed it.

You'd have had every right to make a fuss if your daughter's claim had been refused, but it wasn't.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 28th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 4,663 Posts
    • 2,913 Thanks
    csgohan4
    OP what costs have you incurred? You still would be covered albeit an admin mistake, if you need to use earlier

Compensation culture
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • ChloeBella
    • By ChloeBella 8th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ChloeBella
    An update................

I have been asked why I think I am entitled to my money back, well!! My company has been receiving money from me for healthcare, for a policy that did not exist, they have not paid any money to Aviva to cover me and my family, therefore this money is sitting in my companies bank!!

My employer has now also agreed, they will be paying it all back to me, and rightly so too - 2,400 is a lot of money to just "allow" to go missing or gain interest in a bank account of a company who have recorded multi million pound profits this year.

So thanks to all the supporters, for those who think I am just after a quick buck, pfft, it's my money, you must be rolling in it to be prepared to just write it off!!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th May 18, 3:38 PM
    • 36,346 Posts
    • 20,595 Thanks
    Quentin
    Good news

Don't forget to get your colleagues to check with Aviva they have them on the list (as #8)
    • Weighty1
    • By Weighty1 8th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Weighty1
    So thanks to all the supporters, for those who think I am just after a quick buck, pfft, it's my money, you must be rolling in it to be prepared to just write it off!!
    Originally posted by ChloeBella
    Whilst you're getting your money back this could put you in a position that, in effect, you've never had cover in place so your daughters condition, seeing as it would have happened before the cover is now started, would be classed as a pre-existing condition. Have you checked whether this is the case? If it is the case, what's a better outcome, your daughter being covered or you getting the money back?
    • ChloeBella
    • By ChloeBella 9th May 18, 8:59 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ChloeBella
    There is now an investigation taking place, so any colleagues in the same position will also get a refund.

They have started my cover from May 1st, our healthcare covers pre-existing conditions, so my daughter is fully covered, my daughters care is more important than money but thanks for checking
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,751Users online

Martin's Twitter