Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluenose1
    • By bluenose1 25th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,997Posts
    • 3,205Thanks
    bluenose1
    Anyone thinking of retiring abroad or long winter holidays abroad?
    • 25th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    Anyone thinking of retiring abroad or long winter holidays abroad? 25th Apr 18 at 7:53 PM
    After a lovely holiday in Portugal recently was surprised at how cheap things were over there. One of my friends knows someone who has sold up and retired to inland Portugal and say prices of houses and cost of living much cheaper than UK.
    I can certainly see the advantages of being in a sunny climate but not sure I could upsticks and live permanently abroad. Plus not sure of effects of Brexit.
    Though certainly holidays for a month or two over winter appeal, not necessarily to only Portugal.
    Was looking on the jet2holidays site and prices for a one bedroom apartment for in excess of 28 nights start from approx £650 each.
    Anyone else do this or considering it as part of their retirement strategy?
    Would certainly save on the winter heating bills.
    Money SPENDING Expert

Page 3
    • atush
    • By atush 7th May 18, 4:20 PM
    • 17,179 Posts
    • 10,741 Thanks
    atush
    My dog sitter had two homes, one in Spain and one here. They spent 6 months in each. Spain over the winter, back here for 6 months in the summer to catch up with friends and family, and do some dog boarding for their doggy fix. Seemed to work ok for them.
    Originally posted by elsien
    We will do this, only to Florida as i am american and have a small house there.

My only real problem will be health insurance.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 7th May 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    We will do this, only to Florida as i am american and have a small house there.

My only real problem will be health insurance.
    Originally posted by atush
    If you are a US citizen you will qualify for Medicare when you reach 65. If you don't have 40 quarters of Medicare tax payments you'll pay an increased premium.
    Last edited by bostonerimus; 07-05-2018 at 5:08 PM.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • ggmf
    • By ggmf 7th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    ggmf
    Found this http://www.laterlife.com/ in the Travel section there are articles and ideas for long stay holidays.
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 7th May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    Definitely on our radar for 5 years time. We have decided against buying and will probably take 2-3 month rentals. We are quite laid back about holidays now. We normally start off at a base in France and see what the weather is like. Sometimes we!!!8217;ll drive to Spain, other times just other parts of France. Problem will be the cats unless I get someone in to house sit for 6 months at a time!
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 7th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    We've been caravanning in France / Spain for 3 weeks in September / October for the last 3 years with our dog. We've spoken to a lot of people who are motorhoming for the winter, living between the UK and Spain or living full-time in Spain.

My view is it has a limited lifespan. I've met lots of people who have motorhomed for 6-7-8 years, but very few who have done it over 10. Last year I met a couple who had homes in both Spain and England and a motorhome and they had been travelling for 18 years, but that is an exception.

We took a long crossing to Bilbao last year and heard several couples saying they were fed-up of the journey and were thinking about selling up in Spain.

We've looked at property in the South of France at the Med, but it gets quite cold in the winter. If we hit retirement in good health we'll probably get a motorhome and tour most of the winter but are resigned to the idea it wont work long-term.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 7th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 9,513 Posts
    • 14,641 Thanks
    worried jim
    I'm selling up at 55 here in Brighton, moving back to Leicester and swapping my two bed flat for a three bed detached house and a two bed apartment in Turkey. That's me out the rat race then. Glad I started pension saving at 20. Might get a Porsche too.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 15,285 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    No, we have no intention of upping sticks and moving abroad for winters. We have 2 young granddaughters and help with childcare and I personally don't actually mind the winter here in the UK. Mind you it is normally fairl mild down here in the south west. Sometimes we have had lovely sunny days in February and November and it is nice to do some touristy spots without the tourists we get in the summer.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • atush
    • By atush 8th May 18, 11:27 PM
    • 17,179 Posts
    • 10,741 Thanks
    atush
    If you are a US citizen you will qualify for Medicare when you reach 65. If you don't have 40 quarters of Medicare tax payments you'll pay an increased premium.
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    I dont have 40 quarters, and the increased premium is eyewatering.

I'll visit the doctor, stock up on prescriptions, and get any tests done before I go each year I guess.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 9th May 18, 12:02 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    I dont have 40 quarters, and the increased premium is eyewatering.

I'll visit the doctor, stock up on prescriptions, and get any tests done before I go each year I guess.
    .....it's not much if you compare it to what you'd have to pay outside of Medicare. The premium will go up by 10% for each year you don't activate it too. So I would make sure you have some travel insurance to cover emergencies and repatriation to the UK......you don't want to be consuming US healthcare without insurance.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • ShonaB
    • By ShonaB 9th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ShonaB
    We're moving to Ireland next month easy cheap quick flights home and wonderful place to live - just need to work out best money and healthcare options. Still pretty welcoming for UK folks for the time being.

oh and easy to stick the dogs in the car for return trips, too
    Last edited by ShonaB; 09-05-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added thought
    • parcival
    • By parcival 9th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    parcival
    We had 4 weeks in Spain from the middle of Feb to the middle of March. We play golf and rented an apartment on a golf complex near Almeria.

The weather was good - very little rain and a lot of sunshine. The coldest day was 14 degrees but it was shorts weather generally. It got cold at night but we had effective heating.

We were self catering and found prices to be a bit cheaper than the UK.

We had a cheap flight with Easyjet and rented a car which was also cheap (9 euro's a day)

Will be doing same next winter but for 8 weeks but might drive down through France.
    • bluenose1
    • By bluenose1 9th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    bluenose1
    We had 4 weeks in Spain from the middle of Feb to the middle of March. We play golf and rented an apartment on a golf complex near Almeria.
    The weather was good - very little rain and a lot of sunshine. The coldest day was 14 degrees but it was shorts weather generally. It got cold at night but we had effective heating.
    We were self catering and found prices to be a bit cheaper than the UK.We had a cheap flight with Easyjet and rented a car which was also cheap (9 euro's a day)
    Will be doing same next winter but for 8 weeks but might drive down through France.
    Originally posted by parcival
    I can see us having progressively longer holidays if we like an area.
    The thought of shorts and Tshirt over winter months appeals. My oh would love the golf, but I can't think of anything worse. Saying that quite happy to go for walks and do my own thing while he is playing.
    I want to travel extensively when I retire including the UK in spring/ autumn. There are so many parts of the UK we have never visited.
    Though not sure how much we will have to budget for all the holidays I would like to go on.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th May 18, 12:41 AM
    • 16,645 Posts
    • 109,854 Thanks
    gallygirl

We were self catering and found prices to be a bit cheaper than the UK.
    Originally posted by parcival
    I live in Almeria .

We live here permanently and love it - but I tell people we're here permanently for now, you never know what will change in the future. We rented out our UK house so still have a foot in the property market, I wouldn't go back to that house but at least we have the equivalent value to go elsewhere. There are people out here who would like to move back to UK but just can't afford it.

The climate is wonderful in the winter - this year has not been as good as usual (and we're still getting high, cold winds some afternoons) - but yes, 14 degrees is the normal daytime low and it is usually a lot higher. I'd advise anyone looking for a rental to look for a modern property with central heating (or air con that can run hot as long as you're not paying the bills!). The properties are built for summer, our 30+ year old house is cold in winter and we use a combination of a pellet burner and oil filled radiators. Today is the first day I've felt too warm in the house, just with heating from the sun. In the winter I wore gloves twice .

Summer is brutal though where we are, it's strange to hear the locals talk about 'bad summers' meaning it's above 40 degrees for weeks, as opposed to UK bad summers! That's when we explore the north of Spain and have a few weeks in the UK.

Food is cheaper than the UK, but not a lot really, apart from seasonal stuff. We're getting strawberries at €1.80 a kg at the moment, asparagus at £3.50kg and watermelons are just coming through and will soon be around €2 each for a massive one. But you can't get fruit and veg not grown locally anywhere near as cheap as the UK and supermarket offers are generally 10% off, not 2 4 1 etc.

Eating out is where you win - we had a 3 course menu del dia for €10 a few days ago, complete with a large salad, extra starter, virtually limitless beer/wine and a coffee afterwards. It's a bit rough and ready for us so we'll pay €13 for 3 courses with no drink or coffee, but lovely food. Alcohol is v cheap (€1.80 to €2.50 for a glass of wine) so yes, you have to be careful, it would be easy to sit and toast your good fortune all day . Where we are we get a free tapas in many of the bars as well.

We pay around €80 a month for electricity, averaged out over the year, €10 a month for pellets and €10 a month for gas for hot water. Water bills are about €15 a month, the council tax equivalent and bin charge is less than €50 a month.

Healthwise, at present you can use your EHIC cards for emergencies and the health service is excellent. Obviously that will/may go with Brexit. As we're below pension age we have to pay to join the health service - €60 a month each, cheaper than private schemes and more local coverage.

Many people flit between the UK and Spain - we prefer to be based here (though may change our minds when we see our tax bill ).

It's a fabulous life .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 15th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    Rich2808
    We're moving to Ireland next month easy cheap quick flights home and wonderful place to live - just need to work out best money and healthcare options. Still pretty welcoming for UK folks for the time being.

oh and easy to stick the dogs in the car for return trips, too
    Originally posted by ShonaB
    Legally UK citizens have the same rights and entitlements as Irish citizens when residing permanently in the Republic - although they cannot vote in constitutional referendums or for the President. They are entitled to full access to the Irish healthcare system - albeit there are modest charges in Ireland to visit a GP, hospital stays (for bed and board) and to visit A&E which apply to locals unless you are on a low income and qualify for a medical card.

If you are over 66 this also means you qualify for free public transport (trains nationwide, Dublin tram and bus) travel across the Republic. You need to get a public services card first though.

I don't see that changing at all - because there are far more retired Irish in the UK than the other way round.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/rights_of_residence_in_ireland/residence_rules_UK_citizens.html
    Last edited by Rich2808; 15-05-2018 at 8:37 PM.
    • atush
    • By atush 15th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 17,179 Posts
    • 10,741 Thanks
    atush
    My oh would love the golf, but I can't think of anything worse. Saying that quite happy to go for walks and do my own thing while he is playing.
    You know the famous saying? Golf is a good walk ruined?
    • MK62
    • By MK62 16th May 18, 8:08 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    MK62
    You know the famous saying? Golf is a good walk ruined?

Only if you're not playing well....
    • swindiff
    • By swindiff 17th May 18, 2:36 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    swindiff
    Those that are away from their UK home for extended periods, do you take out special home insurance? Most policies don't cover you if you are away for an extended period of time.
    • atush
    • By atush 17th May 18, 5:45 PM
    • 17,179 Posts
    • 10,741 Thanks
    atush
    havent looked into it yet, but we do have 3 boys and could maybe get one to live in it a few days a week.

We'll see.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 17th May 18, 7:39 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    RADDERS
    Those that are away from their UK home for extended periods, do you take out special home insurance? Most policies don't cover you if you are away for an extended period of time.
    Originally posted by swindiff
    We are insured with the and camping and Caravanning club, up to 180 days at anyone time.
    • scobie
    • By scobie 18th May 18, 4:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    scobie
    I've already got my retirement home bought in Hua Hin, Thailand. My plan is to spend three months there, three months in the UK and just go back and forth as and when I want.

One thing Brits need to be mindful of, though, is those relying on the UK state pension need to be careful that their payments increase each year in their country of choice. It's a big issue. The range of countries where it stays the same as when you first qualify defies reason. In Thailand it remains the same; in the Philippines it increases. Go figure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,877Posts Today

7,754Users online

Martin's Twitter