Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 25th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 659Posts
    • 1,199Thanks
    LexieLou
    When you owe more than your annual net salary
    • 25th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    When you owe more than your annual net salary 25th Apr 18 at 4:10 PM
    Today I cried, so many, many times. The fabulous lady at Step Change, the lovely man at Step Change, the lovely man at Halifax, Barclaycard, Aqua, I cried because they were all so kind. So fabulously lovely and I never expected them to be nice

I cried because it will take me 6yrs and 3 months to clear my debt on a DMP. I will be 48 and 11 months old when I am finally debt free. By that date I will have spent 30 years in debt. I have sacrificed so much due to the debt I owed...I've given up the chance to have more kids, to fall in love, to buy a house...If only I had been brave enough to go on a DMP 10 years ago I might have had a chance to have all of the above now.

So I intend to feel sorry for myself all night, to cry a bit more. Then tomorrow I will get up, put on my fabulous face and kick the world into touch.

I have no-one to blame for this but myself. Its all my doing. I earn a really good salary and if I wasn't in so much debt I could afford nice clothes, a new car (paid for) and a home. Thats what makes this all the more heartbreaking.

I owe the grand sum of 38k and some loose change. Thats slightly more than my net annual salary.

I have 7.50 in my sealed pot.

I intend to join the 1% challenge, now that there is a plan of attack for the debt

I need to build up an emergency fund - which I think will be the 1% challenge

I will also bore you all with my diary.

Day 1 is nearly done xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

1410...3% club (42.30 paid)
Page 9
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 30th Mar 19, 5:16 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    I'm back....
    Hey,

I'm back. I disappeared as my mum died and life just got mental.

I checked my DMP balance today for the first time since I started it 5 months ago and I'm kinda pleased how much I've paid off

I do get paid OT in my new job, but I'm squirrelling this away for a rainy day as my car is on its absolute last legs

I've also realised that I am living beyond my budget, but this is due to my new job and also my OT and also the fact I've not got as much as expense as before, and therefore more disposable income. So tonight I checked the budget again and have put money away, and am not necessarily going to over pay the DMP, but rather save a bit more and remember what my budget is

Its a glorious evening here so I'm away to walk the dog and enjoy the semi spring weather..

Talk soon

LL xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Mar 19, 5:46 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,288 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear about your mum.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 31st Mar 19, 10:21 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    pidge04
    I am so very sorry to read about your Mum.
    O/D 1000/700
    CC 5400/2950
    LOAN 10000/3692
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 31st Mar 19, 10:39 PM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 47,850 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Sorry to read your news but good to see you are back. Yep things do go a bit mental when life throws you a curve ball.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 1st Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 5,935 Posts
    • 23,583 Thanks
    abba1772
    so sorry for your loss Lexielou xx
    NEXT TARGET BARCLAYCARD WAS Jan 19 4299 NOW 0
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 6479.39
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 2nd Apr 19, 9:53 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Thank you all, its nice of you to send me your regards

nothing to report,

just checking in to say hi

Ll xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 7th Apr 19, 5:43 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Lay in bed this morning working out how I can afford to upgrade to a slightly less of a banger of a car than the one I have....which is on its absolute last wheels and I genuinely say a prayer each morning I get into it that it goes.

I also lay in bed trying to work out if my debt is better self managed or managed through SC...I can't be bothered with all the companies contacting me, but at the same time there are some debts I would like to blitz and reduce the number of debts...make sense?

Did my 1% chart - scribbled in 2 boxes cos I threw 28.20 at my credit union...which if I can do that every week plus the 65 I already aim at that account I can have my Credit union paid off by the end of the year...which to be honest is me being lazy..so that's defo a plan to whip into action.

Nowt else to report - this month is going to be tight...but sure...

Night

Ll xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 8th Apr 19, 8:25 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Dog walked, bought a chippy on the way home (barf), Kitchen and hall floor swept and mopped, car hoovered...shattered!

Found out today that I'll be getting OT pro rata for my weeks holiday - have to say it was a collective sigh of relief. So thats OT @ approx 700 for the month, which is about 150 more than I thought I would get. Inching closer to getting money to upgrade from a teenage banger to a tweenie banger...

Anyway, off to do half an hours work and then bed

Night

LL xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 9th Apr 19, 10:00 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    did an hours freelance work tonight...that's going back into the EF fund that I dipped into for my new glasses...

shattered...fed up working, but also very grateful that I have work...

Night LL
    xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 10th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    still shattered, still doing top up work, still doing OT, still grateful that I have work....but its hard to paddle all these canoes at once.....

Still here...alot of 'Stills' tonight

Night LL xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 12th Apr 19, 7:43 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 5,539 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Hi lexie, you have been through a lot in the last year, sorry to read about your mum but glad to read about your new job.

Keep on plugging away, perhaps try to forget all the different loans, just pay what you are paying through sc, it's all running in the background and will take the time it takes. Concentrate on building up your EF as that is what will save you in future when life happens, a bit in the bank can make these events much easier to cope with.

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 14th Apr 19, 6:48 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Hi

I was working yesterday, a bit of OT which is good. Need to build back up my EF fund after my new glasses, plus I still need to keep reminding myself I need money for when my car decides its time to stop working - permanently.

Won 3.40 on the euros, used it to buy 2 flumps, 1 pack of tic tac and a lucky dip for last nights lotto....low and behold won a lucky dip. Lets hope there is good fortune coming my way.

The dog has finally decided to sit down and stop annoying me, I can't be bothered to do much today...I'm the size of a house and I've no motivation to do anything about it.

I've studying to do - lots of it and I can't be motivated to do any of it...

Paid another 1% towards my Credit union...I'm a bit skint this month, so I need to keep whatever spare coinage I have until the end of the month and then I can add more to it.

Thats all from me

Night LL xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• pidge04
    • By pidge04 14th Apr 19, 9:42 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    pidge04
    Flumps are good! Are they cheap??
    O/D 1000/700
    CC 5400/2950
    LOAN 10000/3692
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 15th Apr 19, 9:18 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    I found out today that I'm most likely moving sites at work. Just me....no-one else in my office. It's as if I'm being put in the naughty corner for not doing my job, because there is too much for me to do. I have been asking for help since Mid Jan and I kept getting temps with limited rights and its all just been a mess. And I cried...I'm so cross. I ready my contract again and they can move me around as they please, so I haven't got a leg to stand on and I'll be isolated from my team. And I'm sad and mad about it. Mad because I think I'm being put out to pasture, because I can't do my job and sad because I will miss all my colleagues and gradually be isolated from everyone.

The site I am moving too has a reputation of literally being like the wild west.

Until tomorrow

Night LL xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 19, 9:38 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,288 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to read this,
    Hopefully it wont be a bad as you think.
    Keep plodding.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 16th Apr 19, 4:39 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    pidge04
    Oh no ... really sorry to read this. Can completely understand why you are cross. What’s anyone doing to get you more support to do the job?
    O/D 1000/700
    CC 5400/2950
    LOAN 10000/3692
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Sorry to hear about this, especially when. you've been making such strides in the DMP world...can you ask for a temporary move, basically play the game and then ask for a review? Explain that you think it may adversely affect the work? and so want to review in a few months? I don't think its unreasonable...

Hope things get easier soon

Brizzle x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [ 31% Feb 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal 71/750 April Goals: AFDs 19/25 Decluttering 14/60; LSDs 2/10; NSDs x/10 Exercise in April RT 30k 4/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 16th Apr 19, 9:36 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    LexieLou
    So I am getting moved, that stupid boss of mine asked how I knew...he told me last night on the phone he was 'decentralising'...does he think all women are stupid..clearly judging us by his own standards. I will type the story as I want it for reference, but not tonight. I am too tired.

I've no desk to move too....they had planned to put me on the corner of a board room table, in a shared office...eh no. utter joke. I spend the day literally in tears. One of my male colleagues actually didn't know what to do, poor man stood staring at me in disbelief.

I cried to my friend, the girl who started the same day as me (she's adorable) the man who heads up health and safety (very funny and wise man) and the man we have as an outside contractor ( stood in our massive stationary store - the size of an office) crying to him. Cried the whole way home from work, and then all evening. Found a video of my family and my mums voice is on it, so I cried some more. I'm so tired and at times like this I hate being alone. I would love someone to give me a hug and tell me its all going to be OK.

I want to type all tonight that happened, but i'm wrecked and my head and eyes are sore...the roof of my mouth is sore from swallowing snot and crying...

I think I'll go to bed and feel really sorry for myself and pray that tomorrow my mum sends me a lottery win so I can stop being sad.

Night LL xx
    EF #2 1000 EF #1 600

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 19, 9:48 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,288 Thanks
    beanielou
    So sorry that this has made you sad.
    Sometimes a good cry is good for the soul.

***Keep plodding***
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 17th Apr 19, 12:41 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    pidge04
    So sorry - what a rubbish day for you. Sending lots of best wishes your way x
    O/D 1000/700
    CC 5400/2950
    LOAN 10000/3692
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,234Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin