Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 25th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    • 528Posts
    • 634Thanks
    LexieLou
    When you owe more than your annual net salary
    • 25th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    When you owe more than your annual net salary 25th Apr 18 at 5:10 PM
    Today I cried, so many, many times. The fabulous lady at Step Change, the lovely man at Step Change, the lovely man at Halifax, Barclaycard, Aqua, I cried because they were all so kind. So fabulously lovely and I never expected them to be nice

I cried because it will take me 6yrs and 3 months to clear my debt on a DMP. I will be 48 and 11 months old when I am finally debt free. By that date I will have spent 30 years in debt. I have sacrificed so much due to the debt I owed...I've given up the chance to have more kids, to fall in love, to buy a house...If only I had been brave enough to go on a DMP 10 years ago I might have had a chance to have all of the above now.

So I intend to feel sorry for myself all night, to cry a bit more. Then tomorrow I will get up, put on my fabulous face and kick the world into touch.

I have no-one to blame for this but myself. Its all my doing. I earn a really good salary and if I wasn't in so much debt I could afford nice clothes, a new car (paid for) and a home. Thats what makes this all the more heartbreaking.

I owe the grand sum of 38k and some loose change. Thats slightly more than my net annual salary.

I have 7.50 in my sealed pot.

I intend to join the 1% challenge, now that there is a plan of attack for the debt

I need to build up an emergency fund - which I think will be the 1% challenge

I will also bore you all with my diary.

Day 1 is nearly done xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    7.54 in sealed pot 10.05.18
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
Page 3
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 7th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Spends today: 3.02
    Steps done: 11,000
    Snooker watched: all day
    Items on ebay: 0....but I have a box beside me waiting to be photographed and listed
    Housework done: Kitchen floor mopped (table moved, chairs moved, chairs hoovered, mopped under) basically an industrial clean
    Loads of washing done: 3

So no items ebay'd...but lots of other positives

I'm going away in a few weeks (booked and paid for LONG before I decided DMP route, when I was still being an ostrich) and made the mistake of trying some of last years clothes on.....Oh no...like, I can't even get them zipped up. I refuse to spend money on more clothes, I can't justify buying clothes I don't need and I also refuse to buy a size 14...so its time to diet.

I still have my slimming world books from a million years ago...weighing scales are sooooo expensive and I don't want to buy anything thats not an essential, so I'll just gauge my weight loss by the rolls of fat when I sit down...ha ha

But all joking aside, its ridiculous that I eat so much junk and also drink so much fizzy pop...I think if I cut those two crimes out of my diet and also do 10-15 mins exercise (the body bearing exercises) I think I can shift a good bit of weight

Found 4p in the kitchen when I was tidying up...so thats goes into the sealed pot.

Hope you're all well.

Good night

LL xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 7th May 18, 11:21 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    pidge04
    I do not know why it always takes me so long to get stuff onto eBay! It is good you have got a box together. That is half the problem with me. I put some bits on eBay today - got into a roll with it all which was helpful. Someone told me once to make sure your auctions run through a Sunday night because that is the busiest night of the week apparently for eBay traffic.
    CC1 2400/1595 CC2 3000/2489 LOAN 13,000/5916
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 7th May 18, 11:57 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Someone told me once to make sure your auctions run through a Sunday night because that is the busiest night of the week apparently for eBay traffic.
    Originally posted by pidge04
    Yes...heard that too, think it was on here I heard it. Between 7pm-9pm. So unless you want to pay for auto listing (where they list your items at a certain time), you have to give up a certain day between 7pm - 9pm to list.

I like to run my auctions for 5 days. So Tuesday night it is for me...

But being all MSE now, I'm also only going to do a Post office run twice a week. So bearing that in mind, and that I have a fair bit of stuff (tat) that I want rid off, I think If i just list 2 items a night I'll be doing well.
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 8th May 18, 6:36 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    pidge04
    That is a good idea - listing 2 items per day.
    I think that would be more realistic for me and I might be able to achieve that!
    Thanks LL. Have a good day.
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 8th May 18, 11:34 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Spends today: 10.02
    Steps: 5,500
    Fresh bedlinen on the bed - done

Nothing else to report,

Still nothing ebay'd

Long day...super tired, my eczema is back because I'm super stressed

Night

LL xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 9th May 18, 1:22 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    pidge04
    So sorry you are feeling stressed LL
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 10:57 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you feel less stressed soon.
    Take care.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 9th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Thanks Beanielou and Pidge04

So tired...really long journey home from work, 2.5 hours to be precise, couple of really bad accidents

Ordinarily I'd have gone for a chippy or into M&S for something as I didn't get home until 8.20pm, but my new MSE way, I went to the shop, bought a pint of milk and came home and made a fresh dinner...

But I was too tired to eat it...so here I am at 9.50pm, in bed and writing here

Nothing ebayed, but I have some stuff done for etsy,

Spend today 2.28

Steps: 3,200

Dire effort on all fronts

Talk tmmw xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 9:58 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Dont be so hard on yourself LexieLou
    That was a dire commute home.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th May 18, 8:30 AM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,403 Thanks
    another casualty
    Wishing you all the best on your journey . I found on my journey of escape, that the dmp was the easiest thing out of all the stressful stuff to manage. The only thing I forgot to do there , was to have an emergency fund . Sounds like you are doing very well lexielou Wish I found mse earlier than I did . Wishing you all a good day
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 9:35 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good day LexieLOu

***Keep plodding***
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 10th May 18, 9:46 AM
    • 493 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Storm89
    Hey I just found your diary. I felt so sad for you reading the first post. I'm totally rooting for you over the next 6 years.
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 10th May 18, 8:50 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Thanks everyone....I was soooo tired last night...

Went to the shop on the way home and spent 2.54...and really enjoyed what I bought. Granted I shouldn't have, mainly because I'm supposed to be watching the amount of junk I eat...as I need to loose weight, and being stressed makes me put it on.

I've opened a new current a/c, which I'm pleased about. I had two, one of which I have had to stop using as its with one of the banks I owe money too, which is unfortunate as I actually really liked them as a bank. But thats life

I've also got an app to open another basic current account, thats the A/C I want to use to squirrel away my money for dentist and optician. I do actually wear glasses, and I religiously go to the dentist, as much as I hate the place, I want to keep my own teeth as long as possible

So the reason for telling you all that story was up until a few weeks ago, when I got paid I used to put my money into separate accounts and it was really good as I was so organised, but since I was advised to stop banking with the crowd I owe money too, that habit has gone by the way side

I called the bank I like to bank with (the one I owe lots of money too) they were lovely, really lovely, so I cried again (it is getting ridiculous that i cry so much). I desperately want to keep my current a/c with them, but I don't know of that will be possible during the next 6+ years. Anyway, one more lender to call and that is them all called.

I still need to get my ebay rear into gear, but now that I've spoken to the bank I might get the motivation I need.

Thanks for popping by and accompanying me on this journey, I'm really glad of the travel company (I'm crying again!)

Night

LL xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 9:02 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Be proud
    Its ok to cry, its good for the soul.

***Keep plodding***
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 12th May 18, 12:13 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    quick update,
    Spends today 8.33
    Steps : 4,508

Car insurance quote came in....need to lie down a recover, an increase of 70 on last year and for what? Hate car insurance, you cannot judge if you are getting a good deal or not. Wish it was like buying tins of beans...all lined up on the shelf and you can clearly see what you are buying.

Off to the land of nod

Night all

LL xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th May 18, 10:25 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good day

***Keep plodding***
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 12th May 18, 11:58 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    17,000 steps!!! Go me!!!

2p to the sealed pot
    20 into the 2nd EF

Off to sleep

Night all

LL xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 13th May 18, 8:04 AM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 7,399 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Just wanted to say hello and good luck. You are making great progress and those emergency funds are inching up. When you have some head space do EBay/Etsy etc those dribs and drabs coming in make such a difference.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 28th April 16,500.
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 15th May 18, 11:50 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    Just wanted to say hello and good luck. You are making great progress and those emergency funds are inching up. When you have some head space do EBay/Etsy etc those dribs and drabs coming in make such a difference.
    Originally posted by tootallulah
    Thank you...thats so nice and kind of you to say...I'm a long way off head space at the min xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
    • LexieLou
    • By LexieLou 15th May 18, 11:57 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    LexieLou
    NSD yesterday

No idea what the steps were yesterday

6,300 steps today
    Spent money - 2.00

Off to bed as I'm up super early, didn't want to not write as I haven't updated my diary for the last few days

LL xx
    38,557 its so bad.....
    EF #2 70
    EF #1 still in progress
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin