Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 25th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    • 58Posts
    • 150Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Trying to avoid a near life experience
    • 25th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    Trying to avoid a near life experience 25th Apr 18 at 11:35 AM
    Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker on the forums for a few years and considered joining many times. Just over 18 months into our mortgage free quest I've decided to join to keep me accountable.

A little bit about myself.....I live in the North of England with my SO and fur baby, we are 27 and 28 years old respectively! We bought our first home together in September 2016 with a mortgage of 134k at 3.29%. We carried out a lot of basic home improvements in the first year however we are still finding bits we want to change. I am an avid saver and often find myself with too many 'pots' I want to save into which holds me back from paying more off the mortgage.

We have a reasonably 'healthy' monthly income but spend far too much on food and I apparently have an obsession for buying gym wear

My main motivation to clear the mortgage early is to provide us with financial freedom and allow us to have more disposable income in the future! However, I am in a constant flux between living in the moment and saving for the future....trying to find a balance....hence the title of my thread 'Trying to avoid a near life experience'.

Mortgage currently stands at:

Mortgage Sept 2016 - 134000 April 2018 - 127239.39

Target 1: Pay off first 10k capital = 124k - December 2018
    Target 2: 75% LTV = 112.5k - Summer 2021
    Lets do this!
    Last edited by NorthernPeach; 03-06-2018 at 3:16 PM.
Page 2
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 25th May 18, 8:56 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Just totted up the monthly grocery shop, I'm working pay day to pay day, we have spent 377 .....there's only 2 of us and a very hungry fluff cat! This does include a meal out and a bulk meat order (accounts for 100) but even so........what do we even buy!

Must attempt to eat from cupboards/stock!
    OP's 2018 = 507.82 / 1000 Emergency fund = 569.83 / 1000 New (to me) Car Fund = 51%
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 26th May 18, 9:59 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    I've survived the first of my 2 12hr shifts this weekend, I'm shattered! Long hours make me want to binge when I get home as I just don't have the energy to cook. Cue a supermarket trip, so I still didn't manage to have a NSD. Looking forward to taking make up off and vegetating in front of the sofa!
    OP's 2018 = 507.82 / 1000 Emergency fund = 569.83 / 1000 New (to me) Car Fund = 51%
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 30th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    A quick TT to the emergency fund this morning of 3.11 since the last DD has come out for the month.
    After the weeks of glorious sunshine the weather has taken a turn this afternoon, hoping it clears up for tomorrow. Today is technically 'Friday' for me and we are having new carpet fitted tomorrow, was hoping to keep out of the way in the garden.

In planting news, I've planted some green bean and sweet pepper seeds and treated myself to some gardening gloves (the nettles definitely got the better of me the other day).

Soon will be time for the monthly mortgage payment, anyone else get excited to see the balance drop? I got far too carried away on the OP calculator the other day and wanted to up the regular OP by 300. I came to my senses though, need to work on the savings balance before we can dedicate that much a month to OPs
    Last edited by NorthernPeach; 31-05-2018 at 1:11 PM.
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 31st May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    May in numbers
    A quick signature update, we managed to pay off a total of 390 in capital this month just about outweighing the interest added . Mortgage currently stands at 126,849.

Feel like we are making very little impact atm but at least we are matching or exceeding the interest added each month......some progress is better than none!
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 1st Jun 18, 8:04 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    The 1st of June is almost complete and despite my towel - less sprint post shower incident this morning the day has turned out pretty OK. I managed to tick off the majority of my to do list and I've not spent a penny

Interest added to the mortgage this morning and is 2 less than the previous month, nice to see a little movement. I've cashed out my current account rewards this morning and sent an email to PA as my survey account is 'on hold', no wonder I never saw any studies...

June NSD challenge 1/15
    1% challenge No 65
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 1st Jun 18, 8:46 PM
    • 6,534 Posts
    • 45,458 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi northern peach, just wanted to wish you a belated best of luck with the new dairy
    MFW 21

• NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 2nd Jun 18, 10:05 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    If I haven't personally spent money today but the OH has does that count as a no spend day.... I'm taking it!

June NSD 2/15
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 3rd Jun 18, 11:21 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    What a better time than a Sunday evening to set myself some goals for the week, I need some motivation after being a slob all day (I did read lots of MFW diaries though, you are all very inspirational)

This weeks goals:
    * Get my butt to the gym x3
    * Prep my lunch to take to work x5
    * Change the brake light bulb in my car
    * Pay for the living room carpet
    * Pester OH to move phone contract to joint account for extra cashback

Today was not a NSD, succumbed to a snack run to the shop

After coming to terms with our massive grocery expenditures I've decided we need to get some control. After the bills come out of the joint account we will have approx 130 left. I'm hoping this can cover our food for the month, we have plenty of food in the freezer but the majority of the spends come from a lack of organisation or convenience.

130/27 days = Approx 4.80 a day for 2 adults and a kitty

Surely that's do able...
    1% challenge No 65
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 4th Jun 18, 10:26 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Tropically
    Oh well done, I think you are doing such a good job. 4.80 for food per day should be enough, especially if you have some food in the freezer to eat. It's definitely hard to be organised about food.
    Mortgage started at 318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: 7000/7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - 297,808
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 5th Jun 18, 7:22 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Oh well done, I think you are doing such a good job. 4.80 for food per day should be enough, especially if you have some food in the freezer to eat. It's definitely hard to be organised about food.
    Originally posted by Tropically
    Oh thank you Tropically, it's so easy to get disheartened when you see how much other people manage to OP each month, mine seem tiny in comparison but I'm not in this position where I can chuck it all at the mortgage atm.

Yes lots of food in the freezer, it's so easy to ditch the meal plan when it's been a hard day at work....
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 5th Jun 18, 10:36 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Monthly mortgage payment came out today + regular OP

Spent a total of 5 on top up shop food over the past 2 days, within budget so far

I have managed to sort out all my survey accounts now, hopefully start to earn some bits and bobs through those which can be used to overpay. I earnt 15 from the N*stle cereal club but unfortunately amazon vouchers.....probably will be utilised well for gift purchases etc

After the dreary wet weekend the sun is back today , hope everyone's week is going well so far!
    1% challenge No 65
    • labradorlove
    • By labradorlove 7th Jun 18, 10:44 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    labradorlove
    Hi NorthernPeach

I'm in a similar boat to you and it is disheartening reading how much people are able to OP compared to yourself but don't let it put you off! Every penny counts and we're all working towards the same goal!

Looking forward to following your diary and cheering you along

When we food shop we go to more than one place to get the best deals and usually end up visiting 2/3 different supermarkets but it works out cheaper. We went from spending 200 a month to 140 max and that includes the weekly top up shopping for fruit/veg/milk/bread/pack up stuff. Ald! is a god send!!

Good luck and keep going
    Mortgage left: 117,093
    Car savings: 2,500/600
    OP Target 2019: 2,400/0
    MBNA Card: 3,352/1352 to clear

• NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 7th Jun 18, 10:05 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Hi NorthernPeach

I'm in a similar boat to you and it is disheartening reading how much people are able to OP compared to yourself but don't let it put you off! Every penny counts and we're all working towards the same goal!

Looking forward to following your diary and cheering you along
    Originally posted by labradorlove
    Thanks for popping by labradorlove, its good to know I'm not necessarily just rambling to myself and great to find people in a similar situation I find the big OP'ers inspiring but just frustrating for myself as I feel I cant commit fully to that life right now!

Definitely just need to think every little counts and even if we do have a low OP month the balance is still reducing anyway with the standard payment.

We also shop around for larger shopping trips and don't spend too much at that point, it is definitely the unorganisation or pizza temptation where we fall down and results in an expensive quick nip where you end up coming out with all the goodies. I used to be a massive A*di fan too but have swapped to lidl in recent times...I find their fruit and veg lasts a lot longer!

Will make sure to stop by your diary.....Happy Friday (Almost)!
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 14th Jun 18, 9:26 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Woke up to Storm Hector after a very vivid dream about being part of the suits cast (if only I had their salary). On a late start today but I really need to not just sit on my laptop all morning (like yesterday ).

I have a mental list of chores to do and really need to work on my progression portfolio for work - it's long overdue!! And maybe I'll get a pay rise eventually??

OH and I are going to give a bit of matched betting a go during the world cup in hopes to boost our income and I've been working away at surveys whilst watching TV in the evening - quite surprised how much I've earn't so quickly. Not sure at what point I'll cash out yet, it's nice to see the balance growing!
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 21st Jun 18, 11:42 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    It feels like ages since I've posted but it's actually only been a week. I've had a lot on my mind over the past few weeks, we are experiencing some job uncertainty atm and it's made me realise how little back up funds we have for times like this. For the time being I think I'll be changing tack and working on building up the emergency fund / survival, we will be fine but its easy to get used to having 2 wages each month.

I've been working on trying to up my surveying for some extra pennies and hoping for some overtime at work soon to soften the blow.

OH parents up at the weekend which makes the budgeting harder as we tend to go out to eat etc but I've done my best to plan out the other meals until payday. I have gone over the 130 grocery budget I set myself for the month but considering last month came in at an eye-watering 400 I think something close to 200 is a massive improvement.
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 6th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Kitty has developed a limp in her hind leg we are hoping its an infected bite (she's a little fighter and surrounded by tom cats) but she looks very sad hopping around on 3 legs! Hoping it's not a fracture and wishing i'd taken out pet insurance.....
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 16th Jul 18, 10:08 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Kitty Update
    Kitty is now well recovered but didn't appreciate staying inside for a week, she did have a puncture wound so she must have had a scrap with one of the other cats. A 200 vet bill and a shaved cat leg later ......
    1% challenge No 65
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 16th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 2,072 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Kitty is now well recovered but didn't appreciate staying inside for a week, she did have a puncture wound so she must have had a scrap with one of the other cats. A 200 vet bill and a shaved cat leg later ......
    Originally posted by NorthernPeach
    Poor Kitty!

We don't have pet insurance for our two fluff balls but we put 40 a month into an account for Cat-related emergencies. So far we've only had one emergency cat appointment (pulled tail injury!) but we were able to cover it from our normal accounts without any problem but it's good to know it's there and it's slowly building up in the background. May be worth a thought?
    2018 MFW #20 - OP 4229.44:/ 3000 141%.

Mortgage Oct '16 170.995 LTV 90% end Nov 2041
    Dec 18 152,838 LTV 74.5%
    Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40
    Referral codes= Prolific- 8JXN5BVG shopmium- ACEAHKFA Shoppix- 57VB13QH
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 16th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Poor Kitty!

We don't have pet insurance for our two fluff balls but we put 40 a month into an account for Cat-related emergencies. So far we've only had one emergency cat appointment (pulled tail injury!) but we were able to cover it from our normal accounts without any problem but it's good to know it's there and it's slowly building up in the background. May be worth a thought?
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    Yes I was meaning to do the same ever since we adopted her but somehow never got round to it! Think I'll be aiming to put 20 a month away now in case of anymore mishaps *touch wood*. Bless, they do get up to no good sometimes but we love them all the same
    1% challenge No 65
    • NorthernPeach
    • By NorthernPeach 12th Aug 18, 9:17 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NorthernPeach
    Mini Milestone
    Wow it's been a whole month since I posted last, there has been a big change for us over the last month with a change in job for my OH and a significantly reduced salary but we will get by.

As a result I have changed tack for the time being to work on building up a resilience / emergency fund however I was just having a little look on my mortgage spreadsheet this evening and realised we were only 13 and a couple of pence away from making a total of 1000 in OP's. I couldn't resist and sent it across to the mortgage......anyone else hit any mini milestones recently?
    1% challenge No 65
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

850Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter