Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amatino
    • By amatino 25th Apr 18, 8:18 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 1Thanks
    amatino
    Statutory Declaration Wedding in Italy
    • 25th Apr 18, 8:18 AM
    Statutory Declaration Wedding in Italy 25th Apr 18 at 8:18 AM
    My daughter is getting married in Italy and will need to have a Statutory declaration signed by a Solicitor or Public Notary. Does anyone know if their prices are usually the same? And if someone has been through this process and can recommend someone within the Croydon/South London area?Thank you
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 25th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 6,895 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 25th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 25th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    It depends what she needs. A Statutory Declaration is simply a statement which is declared formally in front of a solicitor. If she knows what needs to be in the statement she can draw it up herself (her travel agent or whoever is arranging the wedding may well have a pro-forma) and then the cost of declaring it in front of a solicitor will be £5 + £2 per attachment if she needs to attach anything like a copy of her birth certificate to it.

If she wants a solicitor to draw up the document it will be more expensive as they will need to open a file, do ID checks and send client care details etc as well as actually drafting the document.

Wither way, she may then need to get the document translated into Italian and the translation may need to be signed off as a true translation, too.
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 25th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 25th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 25th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    My husband and I were married in Italy almost 3 years ago and we competed all of the admin ourselves.

Here's a link to the Statutory Declaration your daughter will need to complete and have notarised by a solicitor:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/153753/bilingual-statutory-declaration.pdf

This document is bilingual so doesn't need to be translated.

The document is contained in this very useful UK government guide to marrying outside of the UK, simply select "Italy" as the country in which the marriage is to take place, tick a few boxes and you'll have all the information you need. I found it extremely helpful and easy to follow.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad
    • JRO88
    • By JRO88 7th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JRO88
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    Hi there
    I get married in Italy at the end of August. Placitasgirl did you go to a standard solicitor or did you see a notary? The price differs hugely and we’ve been getting conflicted information about whether a standard solicitor signature and stamp will be recognised by Italian authorities.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 7th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    Congratulations on your wedding, and thanks for your message.

Your Statutory Declaration only needs to be notarised, so no need for a solicitor and the extra charges.

We happened to have a Notary in the building where our office is and he was Italian so we used him and also paid a £5 fee. We were married by the Mayor of Tivoli, and our documents were clearly all fine and accepted!

This paragraph from the UK Government website link to marrying in Italy confirms that you'll be fine using a notary;

You!!!8217;ll need to provide more information in a !!!8216;statutory declaration!!!8217;. You need to sign it in front of a solicitor or public notary in the UK. They!!!8217;ll charge you a fee.

Here's a link to the website in case you haven't come across it; it's really clear, current and easy to follow:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/italy/uk/opposite_sex

Feel free to ask anything other questions; happy to help if I can.

Once again congratulations and best wishes for your wedding.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

1,411Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin