Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tedster201
    • By Tedster201 24th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Tedster201
    Parking Eye Tower Rd Newquay
    • 24th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    Parking Eye Tower Rd Newquay 24th Apr 18 at 12:06 PM
    Hi guys,
    I'm literally totally new to any kind of forum so HUGE apologies if I do this wrong. I've had a letter from Hyundai Finance who we lease our family car from saying they were charging me 15 admin fee for a parking charge at this car park in Newquay. We did park here on 24th March (a month ago!) but definitely paid for a ticket which we don't now have as a month later our car has been cleaned out. We can't remember how long we were there for and how much we paid but we do know that we were waiting for our holiday appt to be ready at 4pm so naturally would have covered ourselves til that time (we are not stupid)
    Here's the thing.....Parking Eye haven't written to us yet, all I have is the letter from Hyundai. So a month later....with no contact from Parking Eye where do I stand? I can't ring them....they don't talk, just take the money! I'm feeling robbed! I hope you can help
    Thanks in advance (please be aware I'm so new to this so I'd appreciate a bit of hand holding ;-)
Page 2
    • Tedster201
    • By Tedster201 31st May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Tedster201
    Thanks for your help Coupon Mad (and all other contributors) , I knew there would be things that needed a tweak, I think I'm good to go. I'll let you know what happens next.
    • Tedster201
    • By Tedster201 31st May 18, 10:15 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Tedster201
    All changes made, ready to go I think. I've added lots of photos of their rubbish, high up overcrowded signs too which my friend took this week.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 31st May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 10,008 Posts
    • 9,837 Thanks
    The Deep
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Tedster201
    • By Tedster201 21st Jun 18, 8:04 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Tedster201
    POPLA Appeal next stage
    Hi again,
    Today I received the next stage to my POPLA appeal which is all of the evidence against me from ParkingEye. Its 48 pages long. I'm sure you will know the sort of thing they have submitted: lots of photos of their signage, locations of signs, tariffs, copies of correspondence, etc
    I have 7 days to submit comments. One of the things worrying me is that they are banging on about the fact that no-one tapped in our reg number on the machine. Because I know the driver on the day did pay, this is annoying to say the least. The driver does not recall typing in the reg at all. If they needed to they would have had to return to the car to check it first. Also their signage is in close up, not aty all from the drivers point of view (which I submitted clearly showing the lack of clarity from the drivers position.
    My main argument so far is that I was not the driver and they didn't submit the required lease documents to me with the NTK. May I please have some advice on what to do next? I have one chance, it seems
    Thanks in advance
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Jun 18, 8:47 PM
    • 19,469 Posts
    • 30,765 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    You must go through their evidence and dispute anything that's incorrect, dubious or that you disagree with. Anything you don't comment on might be considered 'accepted' by the POPLA assessor.

On a similar front, anything that PE have failed to dispute/answer from your appeal, you should be pointing that out to POPLA and insist they take it that PE accept your position on the specific issue.

Don't go admitting anything about whether or not the driver entered the VRM - steer well clear of that, because POPLA will find in favour of PE going on previous unfavourable decisions.

Don't forget, you cannot introduce new evidence, so concentrate your efforts on dismantling the PE evidence.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 21-06-2018 at 9:07 PM.
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Tedster201
    • By Tedster201 21st Jun 18, 8:58 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Tedster201
    Thank you, Umkomaas...good advice...... so far I've spotted their statement:

''You have stated that you do not believe that the Parking Charge amount is a pre-estimation of loss, or that it is extravagant, unfair or unreasonable. In this regard, ParkingEye relies upon the Supreme Court decision in the matter of ParkingEye v. Beavis [2015] UKSC 67, which was found in ParkingEye!!!8217;s favour and concerned the value of our Parking Charges. ''

In my POPLA evidence I didn't mention anything of the sort..or in my original letter to ParkingEye....so it looks like this is a paragraph cut and pasted from someone else's documents. They haven't commented on their lack of attachments regarding the fact I'm a Hirer, not reg keeper. I'll look for further holes in their story over a cuppa. To be continued.....(any further words of wisdom or encouragement welcome)
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Jun 18, 9:04 PM
    • 19,469 Posts
    • 30,765 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    In my POPLA evidence I didn't mention anything of the sort..or in my original letter to ParkingEye....so it looks like this is a paragraph cut and pasted from someone else's documents. They haven't commented on their lack of attachments regarding the fact I'm a Hirer, not reg keeper. I'll look for further holes in their story over a cuppa. To be continued.....(any further words of wisdom or encouragement welcome)
    Yep, get to work on that one - big time!
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 21st Jun 18, 9:40 PM
    • 9,271 Posts
    • 9,505 Thanks
    KeithP
    Tedster, as you've spotted their evidence is all cut n' paste stuff, look closely at the pictures.
    We have even seen tariff boards from car parks over 100 miles away from the alleged incident.

Look closely at everything.
    • Tedster201
    • By Tedster201 13th Jul 18, 4:03 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Tedster201
    Well I got my POPLA decision back last night...I win! Thanks so much for everyone's advice....Edna's template, stern but useful words from Coupon Mad, everyone else's help and encouragement, tweaks in my drafts. In the end the Assessor gave it me on the fact that I wasn't the Driver & also the fact that ParkingEye didn't send copies of the required supporting documents for my hired vehicle with their NTK. She therefore wasn't bothered about any other evidence, it was enough. Happy Friday to me! Keep up the good fight!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Jul 18, 4:08 PM
    • 19,469 Posts
    • 30,765 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Great stuff.

POPLA assessor spot on with assessment - increasingly not something you can be sure with them these days.

Glass or two tonight?
    • Tedster201
    • By Tedster201 13th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Tedster201
    Indeed! Just poured myself a cold one ! I'm a happy lass
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jul 18, 11:12 PM
    • 61,622 Posts
    • 74,527 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Well I got my POPLA decision back last night...I win! Thanks so much for everyone's advice....Edna's template, stern but useful words from Coupon Mad, everyone else's help and encouragement, tweaks in my drafts. In the end the Assessor gave it me on the fact that I wasn't the Driver & also the fact that ParkingEye didn't send copies of the required supporting documents for my hired vehicle with their NTK. She therefore wasn't bothered about any other evidence, it was enough. Happy Friday to me! Keep up the good fight!
    Originally posted by Tedster201
    Great news!

A hirer is in such a strong position v any PPC scammer, as they never serve the paperwork required for a POFA Notice to Hirer. None of them get it right!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,271Posts Today

7,775Users online

Martin's Twitter