Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewthomas2008
    • By andrewthomas2008 24th Apr 18, 2:18 AM
    • 163Posts
    • 25Thanks
    andrewthomas2008
    Question about harassment
    • 24th Apr 18, 2:18 AM
    Question about harassment 24th Apr 18 at 2:18 AM
    Hi all,

My girlfriend has reported her ex boyfriend to the Police for unwanted contact, the ex boyfriend has agreed not to contact her again but he has stated in the past that he will tell her brother that she drinks and has casual sex, as she is a Muslim she does not want her relative to know the truth.

If her ex boyfriend mentions anything to her brother in regards to what she does in her private life, can her ex boyfriend be prosecuted for mentioning that she drinks and has casual sex.

Will it be deemed as an malicious act to cause distress?

Any answers on whether she could get her ex arrested and will win in a court case if it goes that far.

Any help, will be much appreciated.

Thank you
Page 6
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Aug 18, 2:14 PM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 9,262 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Weird how these posts coincide with school holidays.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Yes, funny how there's been nothing since May half term, and then today...
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    • 6,670 Posts
    • 14,461 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Sorry but I'm not trolling but he told her he'd do it in the past, just wondering if that was an offence, linked to harassment
    Originally posted by andrewthomas2008
    And why didnt the previous reams of replies saying 'don't be ridiculous, a photo isnt illegal' make you realise that no, of course not.

Honestly Im glad he has done it (in cloud cuckoo land). It serves your girlfriend right for lying to her family AND thinking she can get someone in trouble for calling her out on her lies.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Aug 18, 2:28 PM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 9,262 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Honestly Im glad he has done it (in cloud cuckoo land). It serves your girlfriend right for lying to her family AND thinking she can get someone in trouble for calling her out on her lies.
    To be fair, girls and women from strictly traditional families have sometimes found themselves in very real danger if their families found out they have broken the so called rules.

I don't believe this is real, but I also don't think it would 'serve them right' if somebody outed the actions of a woman in that situation to their family and put them at risk of harm.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    • 6,670 Posts
    • 14,461 Thanks
    marliepanda
    To be fair, girls and women from strictly traditional families have sometimes found themselves in very real danger if their families found out they have broken the so called rules.

I don't believe this is real, but I also don't think it would 'serve them right' if somebody outed the actions of a woman in that situation to their family and put them at risk of harm.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Did you miss the bit where the girlfriend lied to the police and said her ex assaulted her in an attempt to get him in trouble?

I stand by my point.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 4,900 Thanks
    Comms69
    Did you miss the bit where the girlfriend lied to the police and said her ex assaulted her in an attempt to get him in trouble?

I stand by my point.
    Some people will throw everyone else under the train to save their 'reputation'
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Aug 18, 2:38 PM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 9,262 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

I stand by my point.
    I did miss it, but I still stand by my point too.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 4,900 Thanks
    Comms69

Aside from the fact one is a crime and one isn't?...
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    • 6,670 Posts
    • 14,461 Thanks
    marliepanda

Im pretty sure if she was worried her family would perform a 'honour killing' she wouldnt be antagonizing the man by trying to get him in trouble with the police.

Anyway her brother knows and Im assuming she is still breathing, so lets not get too wrapped up in 'what if her family kills her' when clearly this is not the worry here.

Also its all made up.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 9,262 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Aside from the fact one is a crime and one isn't?...
    Originally posted by Comms69
    You're in a very argumentative mood today.

Something doesn't have to be a crime to be wrong. We all know about honour killings. Deliberately putting somebody at risk of that is wrong.

So are false accusations of assault, obviously. The one has no bearing on the other.
    • andrewthomas2008
    • By andrewthomas2008 6th Aug 18, 2:58 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    andrewthomas2008

Something doesn't have to be a crime to be wrong. We all know about honour killings. Deliberately putting somebody at risk of that is wrong.

So are false accusations of assault, obviously. The one has no bearing on the other.
    I didn't mention, honour killings, I don't think that is an issue. It's more about her not wanting her family to know, rather than fear of violence.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 2:59 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 4,900 Thanks
    Comms69

Sorry

Looong weekend.

I agree, with you in principle.

For example I would say it's wrong for a family to restrict the actions of it's adult children in terms of their own life decisions.

I guess it just depends on where you draw the line. I don't think that anyone has the right to silence someone because of the actions a third party might take.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,122Posts Today

9,207Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin