Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 23rd Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Land owner changed since PCN of 4 months ago
    • 23rd Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    Land owner changed since PCN of 4 months ago 23rd Apr 18 at 8:00 PM
    Hi I was visiting and spending a lot of money in Poundstretcher Wymondham Norfolk and had no idea of any limits, just didnt see a sign (apparently it was for 90 mins) This is the only shop there and no other reason to use this car park. There is always only about 4 or 5 cars there as I go late at night just before they close

I apparently went 15 mins over this, I had 2 trolleys to steer full of Christmas presents, electricals foods toys furnishings pet goods homewares etc, I travelled 15 miles for their closing down sale

It was their last few days of trading. I had no idea of any parking charge until DRP sent me a 160 charge. The store has since been knocked down and a new LIDL built on the landI I suspect the land owner may be the same, but don't really know!

I visited the shop about 4 times in December as everything was half price and I bought up big! All the staff knew me, they even help me load the car as I have lots of heavy bulky items. Theyre very friendly and would always help me in any way and we chat for ages! Had I known at the time or someone had warned me of time limits I'd have asked them for an exemption or something! I can't contact anyone there now as the store doesnt exist any more!

Very unfair as I was a very genuine customer, my only fault it was dark and never saw the signs and bought so much I was in there over 90 mins

DRP 's threat letter was barely readable, had to really struggle to see the operators name on top right carbon type tiny printing (who are Smart Parking) as the letter was virtually unreadable and the times in and out were printed so finely they couldnt be read either

I still parked on private land I guess, but as Smart supposedly wrote to me at the same address DRP did and I never received it, I had no idea of what I had done until some 3 months later with the usual court threats etc!

I have ignored DRP as advised in sticky notes but appealed online to Smart (as when you call to speak to an operater they cut you off every time instead of transferring you) so only way was to view the ticket online - still not very clear as so dark at night!

Finally a reply by letter to correct address 3 weeks later. They are upholding the charge as I went 15 mins over and have taken all my points into consideration, but still want the money. Although they have referred back to the initial offer of reduced fine if paid in so many days. No apology for never informing me by letter(s) that I'd even received a PCN in time to give me time to pay a reduced fine, just the Debt collectors letter. as I said before. I guess them reducing it was them acknowledging that I was right they had ommitted sending one?

I probably will pay as they say they'll escalate it again to debt if I don't. They do refer to POPLA but say if my case fails I'll then be over the date allowed for the unknown discount and have to pay full amount..

Interestingly they dont quote any figures to pay, just an address or phone number to pay by, so I've no idea what this reduced fine is as they never send me an initial letter in the first place! There were one or two spelling mistakes in their letter too, but guess that's just me being pedantic!

Do I appeal to POPLA and risk becoming one of the unlucky cases who lose? And the worst thing that annoys me is I can't visit the store as it has been knocked down since December so no one there anymore to help or advise! I am gutted that the new land owners forced them to close by buying the land off whoever owned it for years, I got so many supplies in there and was my favourite and much used place to shop for so many things.

I drove over there the other week to look for signs, but as it was all being dug out and the car park was now a heap of mud, I have no idea if there were signs or not! I could see however a small white camera quite high up in middle of car park!

The shop didnt want to close down they were forced out a while ago because LIDL bought the land and they all lost their jobs! This was in the local press about 2 years ago when I lived in the area! The papers said LIDL had taken over the land. So they had fair warning. I guess although it is now being dug up, that the signs I never knew were there from 4 months ago were legal at the time!

I have had so many unfair PCNS over the last few years and have always managed to get out of them by writing direct or the store has offered to sort it out for me. Can I just say that ALDI are wonderful, they just take the letter and plug it into their internal system and you hear no more. LIDL on the other hand are not so nice, they forced my No 1 discount store out of business!

Advice from the experts on here. Do I now pay SMART even though DRP have hopefully backed off? and what is the amount I'm supposed to pay anyway?, I'm guessing 60 as that seems pretty standard. But how unprofessional to ask me to pay in a few days and nowhere in their paperwork does it state an amount!

Sorry I'm so long winded. I didn't intend to be, but I'm close to giving up on the battle. No one wants the shock of what they assume is a 160 fine and threats of court action out of the blue!

Do I write to Poundstretcher HQ as theres no longer any in this area. I'm sure its all too late and Smart say this is my last chance to deal with them! Cowboys for sure, but still legal, I blame the land owners.

In leaving,this page, do the parking company or the landowners get all this money they accrue off innocent shoppers? Be interested to know Thanks all in advance, this is a wonderful resource and without it I'd have probably panicked even more. I'm sure its saved lots of people money who would have just paid up! Kind regards Julia
    Last edited by Silversurreal; 23-04-2018 at 8:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st May 18, 2:07 PM
    • 57,334 Posts
    • 70,935 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I don't understand what you are talking about, sorry.

It was never 160, that's an inflated, made up sum. What grace period?

Have you got a POPLA code and when does it run out?

If you have no POPLA code and the first letter was from DRP, you need to email the BPA to complain that YET AGAIN (allegedly, by several forum accounts) Smart appear to be 'forgetting' the Notice to Keeper and going straight to DRPlus letters.

Smart Parking PCNs are so very easy to beat as registered keeper. Have you actually told DRPlus who was driving, hope not.

You'll know the BPA Complaints email addy, from the NEWBIES thread post #5.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 1st May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    The third thread in NEWBIES Thats the thread from "coupon mad" I take it?

SECOND STAGE APPEAL - POPLA OR IAS
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    KeithP
    The third thread in NEWBIES Thats the thread from "coupon mad" I take it?

SECOND STAGE APPEAL - POPLA OR IAS
    Originally posted by Silversurreal
    Yes, that's the one.

Although C-M suggests you look at post #5 on that thread for the BPA complaints email address.
    Last edited by KeithP; 01-05-2018 at 2:14 PM.
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 1st May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    I didnt contact DRP at all once I realised my beef was with SMART. I did write an online first contact to SMART however admitting it was me shopping, BUT never to DRP! Do I just apply to POPLA and leave it at KEEPER, they're all such idiots, they'll never refer back to an original online plea on Smarts website will they? (especially as SMART ommitted to ever send a PCN) I can hope they won't I suppose as it seems if I keep quiet about that fact I stupidly gave out I'll stand more chance. But I reiterate it shouldnt matter, I was spending my hard earned cash on Xmas presents!
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 1st May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Thanks Keith and Coupon Mad :-)
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st May 18, 2:19 PM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    KeithP
    What you think shouldn't matter is not relevant.

What does matter is - have you got a PoPLA code or not? Yes or no?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 57,334 Posts
    • 70,935 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Have.you.got.a.POPLA.code?
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 1st May 18, 4:08 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Popla code
    Yes I most certainly have! I take it its 33 days from date of letter from Smart. I mean NOT SO SMART because by law they have to tell us about the get out thing with POPLA in their demand letter but I'm guessing Mr or Mrs average who is not well informed think it sounds too much trouble and they dont stand a chance! I dont even know if I do, but gonna try :-) wish me luck!
    Last edited by Silversurreal; 01-05-2018 at 4:11 PM. Reason: misspelt
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 10th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Hi there which "reason" for unreasonable charge do I use for my POPLA appeal please? There isn't one saying "they are thieving unscrupulous cowboys" lol, They sure make it difficult for the majority! Most just have unfair PCNs when shopping, thanks!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 35,561 Posts
    • 19,764 Thanks
    Quentin
    #3 in the FAQ covers POPLA appeals with near templates to use!
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 10th May 18, 1:36 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Yes I've copied your template with all I need to do just going to add my personal touch, but on the first page at POPLA it says

https://www.popla.co.uk/appeal#/StartAppeal/Index

I take it I state "OTHER GROUNDS FOR APPEAL" before I start ?
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 10th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    I have read and read newbies and all the FAQs and cannot find a template specifically for POPLA and I still do not know if my reason is on Popla site is OTHER GROUNDS ? I assume so ????? help please!
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 10th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Other grounds for appeal

<<<Appeals based solely on the following grounds for appeal are less likely to be successful>>>

Is this where I go?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    KeithP
    Don't worry about that yet.

Please concentrate now on writing your PoPLA appeal.

When you are ready, you would be wise to post it here for appraisal.
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 10th May 18, 3:45 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Thank you I will do. Then hopefully I'll know where to insert it. It's definitely wise to write it out first for your perusal, will be done today and fingers crossed. The big negative in all this is that there is no store there anymore for this car park as it was closing down before Christmas, so just a heap of mud right now! Although a positive I suppose that the signs have been taken down or revamped now for the newly opening business/s. Probably still the same L O most likely! I so wish I'd known about a 90 min limit at the time I'd definitely have asked staff for help, but now no store, no staff! Cheers Keith P
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 10th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    PLEASE some one is this basically what I copy in just adjusting details to suit my case???
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    KeithP
    Wait a minute...

On 1st May we were talking about a PoPLA appeal deadline date of 3rd May.

Some discussion ensued, which seemed to conclude that you had a few more days than that.

Please can you confirm the date of the appeal rejection letter from Smart?

I suspect that by now you are too late for a PoPLA appeal, but please confirm that date.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th May 18, 11:23 PM
    • 57,334 Posts
    • 70,935 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Other grounds for appeal

<<<Appeals based solely on the following grounds for appeal are less likely to be successful>>>
    Originally posted by Silversurreal
    Yawn, they lie.

I've copied your template
    Can't have. There is NO POPLA template. You appear to have not actually READ the sticky.

If your draft appeal is less than half a dozen pages long when copied into a word document, then you have the wrong thing and simply need to read the THIRD post of the NEWBIES thread and use the standard POPLA appeal points that make sense for your case.

• Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 12th May 18, 12:48 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Oh I've read the newbies again and again believe me, and read the ridiculously long thing! Well scanned it, who'd read all that word for word as you say that they wont read it either, just say "oh no not another one" I get confused just looking at it;-)

The appeal failure was probably about 2 weeks ago, the grace period was until the 5th May, I was told this doesn't affect when appeal to POPLA as long as within 28 days. I'm on the case!

Cheers
    • Silversurreal
    • By Silversurreal 12th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silversurreal
    Apparantly built without PP
    Came across this when searching for land owner. store images and proof it was closing down sale hence busy time in December.

The store wasn't ever supposed to be there without the correct planning permission! I knew all the staff well and they all knew 2 years ago they would be forced to move out.

Got pics of car park from google images cant see signs . On the dark night I visited on closing down week I never saw any signage. And now the car park is all dug out awaiting rebuilding for LIDL the staff told me this 2 years ago that they were forcing them out. Still don't know who LO are, but will keep trying. This the only store on this particular plot of land, the only shop, middle of nowhere off a dual carriageway. Why else would a person park there, as the keeper did for 105 mins! (15 mins over)

Please read excerpt below from 2013 when store opened without planning permission

Wymondham store that opened without correct planning permission is to meet with council bosses this week to lodge an application nearly four months after it started trading.

Poundstretcher opened in the former Focus DIY store in Gateway 11 business park last September. But the store did not have permission to sell small goods which are sold in shops in the town centre.
    South Norfolk council wrote to Poundstretcher on September 12 and gave it the opportunity to apply for permission, but it did not respond to the letter and opened its doors on September 27.
    A High Court judgement relating to a similar case has strengthened the council!!!8217;s position regarding the breach and now the store had said it intends to meet with the council and apply for planning permission.
    South Norfolk Council spokesman, Jonathan Pyle, said: !!!8220;In 2007, the unit was granted planning permission with a condition prohibiting the sale of certain goods.
    !!!8220;The owners of the site have challenged this condition arguing that it no longer applied because of a subsequent permission that was granted for alterations to the unit.!!!8221;
    When Poundstretcher moved into the site a similar case was being considered in the Court of Appeal which would clarify the legal issue arising in both this and several other similar cases around the country.
    Mr Pyle added: !!!8220;The council!!!8217;s enforcement officer informed Poundstretcher of the planning condition and they told us that they were aware of the court case and if the judgement meant that they were in breach of the condition they would then make a planning application.
    !!!8220;The Court of Appeal has now determined the case and the judgement favours the council!!!8217;s position. We are still waiting for the written judgement but we will be contacting Poundstretcher again, urging them to make a planning application.!!!8221;
    A spokesman for the store said: !!!8220;We are hoping to set up a meeting with the council in the next few days, after which we will apply for planning permission.!!!8221;

Will this revelation make any difference to my POPLA appeal ?

Sorry copied some weird character template/macro /corrupted text - unable to edit My POPLA appeal will not be like this!
    Last edited by Silversurreal; 12-05-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,236Posts Today

7,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin