Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 23rd Apr 18, 6:30 AM
    • 6,833Posts
    • 40,011Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 23rd April?
    • 23rd Apr 18, 6:30 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 23rd April? 23rd Apr 18 at 6:30 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 4
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 29th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 14,600 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all today is about getting ahead for the week whilst getting some relaxing time in too so I will be:

Batch cooking;
    Enchiladas
    Cauli and brocolli bake
    Quiche
    Boleganse sauce

Iíll also make;
    Bake sourdough loaf
    Stuff for todayís roast dinner
    Some kind of biscuit/cake

One load of washing on the line another in the machine
    Get ready for school, check homework is done
    DH and I to the gym
    Quick tidy round
    Try and order some shoes
    Text friend see if she is around later for a catch up
    Plant a few seeds
    Work out what I need to fill 3 hanging baskets.

Right, off to research shoes. Have a good day folks. Hope work isnít too bad determined
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 29th Apr 18, 10:51 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Morning all!
    Small things this week:
    Make tiny rounding down payments to all accounts
    Tidy garden
    Plant some chilli seeds
    Cook sourdough loaf
    Do some exercise every day even if it's just walking the length of a few extra bus stops
    Do more fleabay listings
    LBM: Jan 2017. Total owed: 45493.21 (37800.21 on CCs) Now: 34056.18 (28922.41 on CCs) Paid: 25.1% EF: £700/£1000
    Credit in use: 67% DFD: July 2021
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 29th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 11,703 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hey folks

I am the person of shame over the last two weeks. Food spending (both in and out of the house) has been very out of control due to tiredness and disinclination. OH also not really helping out so didn't see why I should be batch cooking while he was watching films!
    We need to munch through some stuff in the freezer (lots of frozen veg) and make some room, then I might make up for homemade ready meals for the next time that the "no cooking" feels strike.

However, today is a new day. It's also the day before payday so I will be reconciling my month end and setting next month's budget.

On the plus side, I've nearly finished OH's second sock. So currently a sock is taking me 3 good days of knitting. Hopefully I'll get faster. I'd like to be able to knit one sock a week but not spend my entire time knitting!

Today's mission:
    • B/D from stores
    • Picked up reduced stuff from Boots for lunch
    • Charge phone in work
    • Budget sheet
    • Charge phone in work
    • Water plants in greenhouse
    • See if I can finish the sock!
    • No alcohol (still doing well)
    • Early night cos I am zzzzzzzzzzzz
    not much doing

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 29-04-2018 at 1:11 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • little pink purse
    • By little pink purse 29th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    little pink purse
    Afternoon every one

sorry I've missed a few days

today's list
    washing on and out
    try and use up stuff from the freezer
    check banking payday on Thursday

better go

that's a great total one step at a time

have fun lppxxx
    nsd may /10
    feb fuel and food budget £350.00

debt total highest £66k now £65k
    FIRST DEBT TO BLAST £2142.95 /
    • redpantsandjam
    • By redpantsandjam 29th Apr 18, 1:13 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    redpantsandjam
    *Today's a NSD
    *Lunch was homemade chips - it's amazing how much further money goes when you make chips yourself as opposed to buying them - and fish fingers for the kiddo, cheese and onion bakes for me.
    *I've worked out I've got enough food in the freezer to last us the rest of the week. Only need to get bread, milk, and snacks tomorrow with the top up shop.
    *Drawing up a spending and savings tracker in my bullet journal. I'm setting budgets and spending the next month sticking to them as closely as possible.
    *Laundry done, ready for tomorrow.
    DFW: £5,975 to go
    • E11ie
    • By E11ie 29th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    E11ie
    Hi

My first attempt at this so here goes...

Home made soup for lunch, and enough left over for lunches at work tomorrow.
    Washing all done and air drying.
    Going to the gym straight after this so shower there and fill up water bottle.
    Answered 2 surveys on swagbucks.
    Asked Vodafone to credit us a cancellation fee for our broadband when we move next month, as unable to take it to the new property (there's been a few issues) ..... they said yes(!!!!) but will see what actually happens.
    Cooking a roast for dinner and left overs will go towards next weeks lunches.
    Finally totalled up my list of debt rather than just tracking it in a spreadsheet (ugh)
    Completed a budget for May

Hmmmmm suddenly I feel that I've been much more productive than I realised!

:-)
    Total debts £5432/£5596 all currently on 0% interest
    Make £2018 in 2018 = £321
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 29th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 11,703 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Welcome E11ie and redpantsandjam (love your username!)

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 29th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 26,239 Thanks
    allydowd
    *Made contingency birthday plans for a wet weather option.
    Originally posted by foxgloves

Free all you can eat cake.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 29th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 7,451 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Done most of my list plus
    Cooked meatballs and made a tomato & veggie sauce to go with them, this then is a really quick reheat meal tomorrow night when ds2 has a friend over as I am planning on doing gutters, facias and soffits on a rental house tomorrow with my dad.
    Brought all washing in as it was dry, hung straight away most of it, there were just two teeshirts that needed ironing plus I had 5 of dh's work shirts and a couple of pairs of his work trousers that I'd washed last week in the ironing pile so I've got them all done whilst watching a programme on catchup.
    From my annoying things list I had a shelf support in a kitchen cupboard that I thought was missing but it was being held up by the items in the bottom of the cupboard so its been on my list for a while, it turned out the support wasn't missing it was just pushed in too far, so a quick jank out with they plyers and its sorted! It took all of a 3 minutes which included me straightening up the cupboard afterwards!
    Messaged my sis to see if I could borrow a couple of gym tops from her, they're actually ones I gave her last year but unfortunately I've gained 1 1/2st back that I'd lost and so my tops are feeling/looking too tight Must get back to eating better as I know that will help my low moods. Its a vicious circle of eat rubbish/feel rubbish at the minute. only I can sort this I know
    Tried the old vinegar on the patio door that has water marks on but it didn't seem to make much difference to be honest.

Thats about it for today I think.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 29th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 11,703 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Must get back to eating better as I know that will help my low moods. Its a vicious circle of eat rubbish/feel rubbish at the minute. only I can sort this I know
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Do you follow Girls Gone Strong on Facebook? They have some really good articles about addressing emotional eating (there was one today that really resonated with me). I've been addressing my emotional eating and alcohol consumption over the past 6 months... it's been slow but steady progress.

Another thing that really helped me was reading "The chimp paradox". When I get worked up and feel like having wine to de-stress, I like to imagine that my inner chimp needs a cuddle - so I cuddle it, tell it that we'll go home and have tea and a sit in the garden/lie down/read for half an hour, and then if it still wants a glass of wine, it can have one - but we have to walk to the shop to get it.
    It works really well because I switch the focus to self care, which is what the chimp actually wants. But it's important not to tell your chimp that he/she can't have the thing. Chimps are strong and they fight back at can't!

I hope all that made sense?? My chimp is def a boy. He is called Mr Chimpy-pants

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 29th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,999 Posts
    • 39,423 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    I gave in to my chimp this evening and had a glass of wine
    My chimp was quite insistent after the week s/he has had!

Went to a flea market this morning to look for bits to sell on for my business, as we often do on Sunday mornings. Bought a couple of bits, plus bacon and toothpaste Also bought a big bag of mixed [STRIKE]rubbish[STRIKE] costume jewellery, mainly for GD to play with as she does love my 'preciouses', though I rarely buy jewellery. The more outrageous the necklace, the more she loves it Was £5, but there are a few bits in there I can sell to recoup that, and doesn't seem much for hours of fun - my preciouses are far better than any toy you could buy, I may add .

Spent the rest of the morning untangling said necklaces and picking out anything sharp, such as ear rings or brooches, though most of these had lost their pins

OH did bacon sandwiches for lunch
    Made pastry this afternoon and topped off the pie filling I made yesterday, also made a quiche shell and 17 mince pies

Chopped up and froze a couple of small swedes from the market

It is absolutely freezing here today, almost as if we have gone back to winter so winter clothes and boots are back out, heating has been back on and now the wood stove is alight. Surely it will warm up soon?
    NSDs for May: 2 / 19

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 29th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 4,005 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Welcome E11ie and redpantsandjam this really is a great thread with a lovely,friendly bunch who def help keep me on the straight and narrow
    1LL I hope the ankle has settled down and doing better for u.

Well at one point today I thought it would turn into a pj day.
    Was up really early but just couldn't get motivated.

The lack of cat food meant that I def needed to get sorted so went shopping and only bought the things I needed-must update Spends book and do the last of my month ends
    Came home and got stuck into some housework.
    Got quite a few bits done but not as much as I wanted so will hopefully get more done tomorrow. Frustratingly I have a meeting slap bang at lunchtime tomorrow and phone calls to make so hopefully I will be able to plod on after meeting
    Meals from freezer, it is crammed full with slow cooker meals so will tuck into those and hopefully it will be a minimal spends week.
    Can't believe that this time last year missing kitty now home was missing. She still won't leave DD room but go in everyday for a chat with her. She hates me messing about in DD room and moving things about. She is very possessive of DD room!
    Well that's about it from me, have a great evening everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • redpantsandjam
    • By redpantsandjam 9th May 18, 9:46 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    redpantsandjam
    So, had a wobble yesterday and ordered takeaway.

Friday's payday, and got two social meals planned. Have set aside a budget for these, loading it onto a prepaid card. Having to try and avoid dipping into my savings, as a friend is visiting in June.

That said, by working out my budget, I could have about £200 saved by then. Activities planned with her are relatively low budget (the perks of living by the beach and near several relatively cheap museums...)

Currently meal planning for all of May/June, but trying to adapt as I often rely on convenience foods, and have a very fussy child. (Oh, ew, Mum. That looks relatively healthy, I think I'm allergic...). That said, however, have found that making my own chips/wedges is saving a boatload. Well, until we take the first aid kit into account.
    DFW: £5,975 to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin