Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 21st Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,528Posts
    • 11,133Thanks
    elsiepac
    May 2018 Grocery Challenge
    • 21st Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    May 2018 Grocery Challenge 21st Apr 18 at 9:59 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fifth Grocery Challenge of 2018 !!!!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. Mr M is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a bread maker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obviously if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better health wise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 to #10 this thread (the list is growing!!!!!)

For everyone's totals, see post #3 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

elsiepac

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 01-05-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: Nov 18 £0/£tbc
    Vegan 27-8-13
Page 8
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 12th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 13,214 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Made a Thai Curry on Thursday which I had planned to last Thurs and Friday but there was literally nothing left Thurs eve! Got to stop cooking so well (seriously though, I know its not very MSE but it is a great feeling when your creations go down so well they disappear - its a new thing for me, I've always been very much about cooking being as easy as poss ). So I was all poised to pop back out to the shops yesterday but I was pretty tired so decided it was going to be a meal from the freezer/cupboard evening - so it was another NSD yay!

Going to have to shop later today for dinner tonight and I'm undecided whether to try and shop for the week at the same time and cancel the recurring delivery - as its just the two of us next week. Might be a bit cheaper than having to do a £40 delivery - right meal plan to do.
    1 x cc left : Flylady : Grocery club member : Old Style Weightloss lurker
    It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got

Need to rejoin the Grocery Budget thread - Completely Debt-free by April 2019 Jan 2019
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 12th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,169 Thanks
    pipkin71
    £50 spent at this morning's market; more than I'd hoped, but who could resist fresh Poole Bay crab? Delicious crab with lemon mayo sandwiches for lunch, on fresh sourdough with a handful of rocket & vine tomatoes... because I'm worth it!

Well, I suppose, as extravagant treats go, it's pretty moderate, and two other people also had some, and there's a little left for tomorrow, but if I go over budget this month, it'll all be the crab's fault! Can you tell I'm feeling a little bit guilty...?
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Sounds lovely, though and I bet you will really enjoy it
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 12th May 18, 9:36 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,169 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I need to sort out a meal plan for next week so that we can hopefully make some space in the freezers. Pretty stocked up on fruit and veg for now. DD might need to pick up a loaf of bread but we shouldn't need to do another shop for a while.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 12th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 17,353 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    £1.09 spent on the 7th on Branston beans in B and M and £1.27 last night on choc chips and chopped tomatoes.
    Also, £5.43 last night on dairy free ice cream, YS burger buns, bread, bananas and crisps. Aswell as £0.89 (?) for Bramwells Mayo in Aldi that my Dad got for me.

Need a stock up of chickpeas at some point, but doing okay so far really . Two weeks in almost, and i have spent the amount on food which i hoped we could spend all the time. Who knows, maybe it's the start of something!

£8.68 to add to sig anyway
    GC 2017 (£3,434.09/£4,000) Jan £264.28, Feb £179.18, Mar £290.38, Apr £182.39, May £210.24 Jun £122.33, Jul £149.45, Aug £199.22/£220 Sep £211.46/£210 OCT £227.94/£220 Nov £86.34/£230 [(£2,037.42/£3,250 p.a)

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • turtlemonkey
    • By turtlemonkey 12th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    turtlemonkey
    Did a shop at Aldi today and just noticed they've charged me twice for one tub of ice cream! I guess that's impossible to prove in retrospect, so I'm going to tell myself that the ice cream was £3.78 instead of £1.89 - it's still cheaper than a tub of Ben & Jerry's... Shop came to £27.97, again lots of snacks (must get a grip on my sugar cravings!) but also several meals in there, including three pizzas, 4 cans of beans, two packs of penne, 1 pack of buckwheat fusilli and a cheeky bottle of Pinot Grigio Blush!

Total spend on groceries so far in May: £42.66. Left in budget: £67.34

Edit: I've also had 7 NSDs so far in May.
    Edit 2: I contacted Aldi on Twitter and they have confirmed that they will refund the £1.89 on my next visit to the store. I didn't want to go back today as I don't need anything there anymore and the petrol cost would outweigh the refund!
    Last edited by turtlemonkey; 12-05-2018 at 5:41 PM.
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 12th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    £50 spent at this morning's market; more than I'd hoped, but who could resist fresh Poole Bay crab? Delicious crab with lemon mayo sandwiches for lunch, on fresh sourdough with a handful of rocket & vine tomatoes... because I'm worth it!

Well, I suppose, as extravagant treats go, it's pretty moderate, and two other people also had some, and there's a little left for tomorrow, but if I go over budget this month, it'll all be the crab's fault! Can you tell I'm feeling a little bit guilty...?
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Donít you dare feel guilty about something so delicious and occasional. If itís something you do only once or twice a year, embrace it with both hands! (And your mouth.)

Good morning everyone
    have had a couple of trips to the shops this week for bread, milk, fruit etc. Spent another £21+. Total so far about £70+.
    Have plenty of food in freezer but just have to be more disciplined in using it up before I buy fresh. Need to complete another meal plan and stick to it.
    Really beautiful morning here so spirits are up. Time to get busy in the kitchen I think.
    Hope you all have a lovely weekend.
    Originally posted by Highland Fling
    I feel you on this. Thereís some cauliflower in freezer Iíve been meaning to make into a warm garlic salad for the last week but Iíve feeling rather meh about doing anything. I also have frozen spinach I want to turn into smoothies with my bounty of 2 for 1 blueberries and some avocado. Again, feeling meh. The good thing at least is that I havenít really been shopping. I need to start working on my cupboards though. I think I might make a lentil and spinach curry for OH.

Made a Thai Curry on Thursday which I had planned to last Thurs and Friday but there was literally nothing left Thurs eve! Got to stop cooking so well (seriously though, I know its not very MSE but it is a great feeling when your creations go down so well they disappear - its a new thing for me, I've always been very much about cooking being as easy as poss ). So I was all poised to pop back out to the shops yesterday but I was pretty tired so decided it was going to be a meal from the freezer/cupboard evening - so it was another NSD yay!

Going to have to shop later today for dinner tonight and I'm undecided whether to try and shop for the week at the same time and cancel the recurring delivery - as its just the two of us next week. Might be a bit cheaper than having to do a £40 delivery - right meal plan to do.
    Originally posted by supersaver1000
    Well done on cooking a dish loved by everyone in the family! Plus, good job on getting another NSD racked up and pulling from your resources. Iíd cancel the delivery if I were you and make a £20 top up list.
    NOV 18 GC: Ä122.58/Ä300.00 // 4/12 NSD
    OCT 18 GC: Ä293.20/Ä300.00 // 13/12 NSD
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 12th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    Yesterday was a NSD day for me and this morning I went to the halal store for several items.

Ä5.50 for 30 eggs, a small tin of tomato paste, and some ramen for OH. I wanted to make banana bread but realized we were out of eggs. Paste is for the keema curry Iím going to make tomorrow.

Ä5.37 at the meat counter for 600g of ground beef and a nice looking steak. Instead of lamb for the keema, I decided to get ground beef since I didnít feel up to grinding my own meat today. Also, the lamb cuts they had today very bone centric so I wouldnít be able to get too much meat off them.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    Ä104.95 / Ä400.00
    6 / 10 NSD

I think I may try to limit this month to Ä250 instead of Ä400. Letís see though. Next week there are some sales at Lidl Iíd like to get. This includes buy 3, get 3 free on pasta. Iíll probably just buy a f**k ton and thatíll be us for pasta for the summer. Then again, that whole cupboard thing I mentioned earlier...hrmmm.

ROUGH MENU PLAN OF THINGS TO COOK THIS WEEK:
    Keema curry
    Lentil and spinach curry
    Fried or stewed eggplant
    Banana bread
    Warm cauliflower salad - https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/coliflor-con-ajos-vinagre-y-alcaparras-cauliflower-with-garlic-vinegar-and-capers
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 12th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 35,119 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Adding a sneaky £1 spent on a large bag of tasty little vine tomatoes at the market this morning whilst hunting for stock for my stall. I saw them & remembered that I'd dry-fried the last of the fresh toms with some eggs & bacon this morning - must eat more eggs, the "girls" have been laying like the clappers!
    Angie

GC Nov 18 - £166.59/£400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 £204.36/£250, pet & livestock food '18 £358.63/£300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 13th May 18, 8:21 AM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Did a shop at Aldi today and just noticed they've charged me twice for one tub of ice cream! I guess that's impossible to prove in retrospect, so I'm going to tell myself that the ice cream was £3.78 instead of £1.89 - it's still cheaper than a tub of Ben & Jerry's... Shop came to £27.97, again lots of snacks (must get a grip on my sugar cravings!) but also several meals in there, including three pizzas, 4 cans of beans, two packs of penne, 1 pack of buckwheat fusilli and a cheeky bottle of Pinot Grigio Blush!
    Originally posted by turtlemonkey
    If you are serious about getting a grip on your sugar cravings - try reading the 8-week low blood-sugar diet by Dr Michael Moseley (he of "Trust me, I'm a Doctor" on BBC). It took four days and lots of water and then everything improves and the achievement incentive kicked in for me. Not diabetic but my word I feel better
    MFiT T4 #2 update 90.89% after Q11 against revised stretch target of £60k balance
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 83.33% £9,999.70/£12,000 (after upping my target from £10k to £12k in October)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,696.43/£3,000 including stores 67.14% of my annual budget at the end of Oct.
    My DFD is here
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 13th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,169 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Thank you for posting this. Looks lovely
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 13th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,414 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I have also printed the warm cauli salad, thanks JingsMyBucket,

Turtlemonkey, I always scan my receipt before I leave the shop, been over charged too many times at Aldi, in fact I was on Friday, only 44p much to the annoyance of the cashier, but less chat between operative on next till it may not have happened. I live less than a mile away but still saves my ire.
    JAN£200=£107FEB£200=£40MARCH£175=£50
    APRIL£200=£35 May£200=£61 JUNE£200=£6
    JULY £200=£11 AUG£180=£57SEPT£180=£57Lost OCT, under budget
    NOV£150-£13=£137-£34=£103,-£48= £55
    • turtlemonkey
    • By turtlemonkey 13th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    turtlemonkey
    If you are serious about getting a grip on your sugar cravings - try reading the 8-week low blood-sugar diet by Dr Michael Moseley (he of "Trust me, I'm a Doctor" on BBC). It took four days and lots of water and then everything improves and the achievement incentive kicked in for me. Not diabetic but my word I feel better
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Thank you, Suffolk lass, I will definitely look that up!

Turtlemonkey, I always scan my receipt before I leave the shop, been over charged too many times at Aldi, in fact I was on Friday, only 44p much to the annoyance of the cashier, but less chat between operative on next till it may not have happened. I live less than a mile away but still saves my ire.
    Originally posted by pamsdish
    I will definitely do that from now on, pamsdish! They scan the food much quicker than I can bag it, so it's no wonder they make errors, really.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 13th May 18, 10:52 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Pine nuts and a recipe (or two)
    Freebies from work - 2 cartons of plant milk, some rolled pastry and a 1kg bag of pine nut kernels, priced @ £36 - I don't have a clue what to do with them, a colleague said pesto, any suggestions greatly received - will have a Google.
    Originally posted by Save Dosh
    Lucky you! I adore pine nut kernels. 1kg will last for ages. Store them in the fridge or somewhere cold and dry, to keep them fresh for as long as possible. Iíve got some recipe ideas for you:-

Pesto

My pesto recipe is based on the one on the BBC Good Food website, but it flexes well if you donít have quite the right quantities. Also, it freezes well, if you want to batch make but it will turn black-ish (due to the basil).

50g pine nut kernels
    80g fresh basil
    50g parmesan cheese
    150ml extra virgin olive oil
    2-4 garlic cloves

In a frying pan over a low heat, toast the pine nut kernels until theyíre a light brown/smell toasted. Combine with all the other ingredients in a food processor/mini-food-processor and whiz until chopped

Stir through freshly cooked pasta and enjoy.

Garlic Prawn Pasta

Iíve been allergic to prawns for over a decade but, pre-allergy, I used to make this fairly regularly. Apologies if the quantities are a little sketchy. The pine nut kernels are an optional extra - Iíd add them when I could find them, which wasnít that often back in the day.

Enough bow-tie shaped dried pasta to feed 4
    100g-250g ice-glazed frozen prawns (do not defrost)
    1 onion chopped
    3-4 cloves garlic
    50g butter
    Splash oil
    1/4 teaspoon paprika (for the colour)
    1/4 cup pine nut kernels (optional)
    100g small mushrooms, sliced (optional)

1). Put the pasta on to cook.
    2). In a large pan, gently melt the butter. Add a splash of oil, to stop it burning, and fry the onions, mushrooms (if using) and garlic until the onions are translucent.
    3). Stir in the paprika and the frozen prawns. Keep stirring while the prawns defrost. The water from the prawns will emulsify with the butter to form the sauce.
    4). When the prawns are definitely defrosted, stir in the pine nut kernels and warm through.
    5). When the pasta is cooked, drain well. Dump back into the cooking pot and stir through your garlic prawn sauce, ensuring everything is coated well.
    6). Serve in deep bowls.

(Iíve wondered about making this with cubes of fresh salmon instead of prawns. I might give it a go, someday.)

Nut Roast

This seems a bit of a waste, to me, but you could substitute pine nut kernels for the stated nuts in any recipe that uses hazelnuts or cashews. Hereís one I use which is based on one from Rose Elliotís Cheap & Easy cookbook.

100g Hazel nuts (substitute the pine nut kernels)
    1 onion, quartered
    2 large carrots, chunked
    2 thick slices of bread
    1 teaspoon mixed herbs
    2 eggs

1). Preheat the oven to 180c and line a 2lb loaf pan with grease-proof paper/non-stick liner/foil if desperate.
    2). In a frying pan over a low heat, toast the nuts until you can smell them. (I donít usually bother with hazel nuts but it does bring out the flavour)
    3). In a food processor, combine with the next 4 ingredients and chop fine. (It will be very noisy at first.)
    4). Add the eggs and process until you have a rough dough/batter of sorts.
    5). Decant into your lined loaf pan and bake for approximately 55 minutes or until cooked.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 13th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 7,156 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Sorted out receipts £31.66 spend on various essentials and a few treats!
    Working this pm so will make up a list of things we do need from Mr Lidels this week, have to wait till my car is back from the garage, no real issue though, it's making me be far more inventive in using up freezer and cupboard stocks!
    Living life happily! Debt Free date: 06/2018!!!
    Jan-Oct 73 Nov GC £120.93/£300
    :
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 13th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    (Iím posting this seperately to keep the above recipes ďcleanĒ.)

I have a couple of spends to declare from yesterday: £8 at the farm shop, £7.15 at MrTís, and £17.27 at Lidl.

The Lidl shop includes £11.49 of cooking whisky, Glen Margot. No idea what it tastes like but we will use it for hot toddies. We also bought a new hand-held mini vacuum cleaner, to replace our existing one which died after 4 years; £14.99, but that comes out of a different budget.

I mentioned in an earlier post, that MrTís were selling 10kg sacks of chapatti flour for £3 instead of the usual £5, and we were um-ing and ahh-ing about buying it. Well, since it was still on offer, we bought it but were promptly charged £5 at the till. Went to customer services and argued the point, complete with a photo of the shelf label, got our money back. Iíve been caught before by shelf-labels not relating to the items above them (e.g. an offer on mayonnaise applying to own brand but showing up under Helmannís), so Iím very careful to check them to ensure that Iím buying the right product.

After a bit of arguing, DH pursuaded me that the meat fund should pay for last weekendís Giggly Pig purchases (£20 back into the grocery challenge). That money, together with the above, brings our total spend for May to £75.77/£120, leaving £44.23 for the rest of the month.

Meal planning-wise, weíve got a couple of things that need using up: plenty of fresh veg, plain yoghurt, some cooking bacon. Today, Iíll be making an Austrian Potato Pudding for dinner tomorrow, which will use up the yoghurt together with some black pudding (from an ancient Sainsburyís cookbook); and dinner tonight will be Cuban Black Bean Stew (uses up the cooking bacon).

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th May 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,946 Posts
    • 31,966 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    £31.30 spent and signature updated. I did forget a few things bit I'll be going for fresh fruit/salad things probably Wednesday so I'll get anything else that I need then.
    Weight loss 2018 17 lbs

October Grocery Challenge £138.20/£150
    November GC £97.74/£200
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 13th May 18, 6:47 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    @pipkin71 and @pamsdish, youíre very welcome. Glad the recipe piqued your interests. Since my cauliflower is frozen, I'll skip the first step and just steam them while I slice the garlic and capers.

Today after breakfast with a friend I headed down the block to my market where I spent Ä2.98 on some juicy local strawberries at one vendor and Ä2.50 at my usual vendors for a hand of ginger, a bulb of garlic, and an eggplant.

Spent another Ä2.20 on ramen at an Asian store and ended up speaking to the owner for 20 min. That felt nice and neighbourly. Total of Ä7.68 today.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    Ä112.63 / Ä400.00
    6 / 10 NSD

Menu Plan:
    Keema curry - cooked today with the beef. I had two servings and thereís probably enough left for another three servings this week. Delicious but I definitely want to try it with lamb. Next weekend I think I'll head to the big market/abattoir to get ground lamb in bulk. Iíll also pick up some pork shoulder while there to make some sausage later in the month.

Lentil and spinach curry - made this today and OH loved it. He ate half the pot, aka three very large servings! I had a few spoonfuls with my keema.

Fried or stewed eggplant - I cut this into small cubes and roasted them in olive oil, S & P. They came out a bit charred but were still lovely with the curries. Iíll do the same with the remaining eggplant in the fridge.

Banana bread - Iíll tackle this tonight after I clean the apartment a bit.

Warm cauliflower salad - for tomorrow evening to eat with the steak I bought yesterday.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 13th May 18, 9:59 PM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 35,119 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    And another £3 gone - which bought us one pineapple, 6 pomegranates, and 20 (!) limes as our 3-day local market closed down. I feel a batch of lime curd coming on, which will also use up some eggs.
    Angie

GC Nov 18 - £166.59/£400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 £204.36/£250, pet & livestock food '18 £358.63/£300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • GunShotResidue
    • By GunShotResidue 14th May 18, 8:43 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    GunShotResidue
    I managed not to spend anything on groceries before the bank holiday weekend, which we spent staying with family so didn't spend anything then either! We got back late Monday, and I spent £4.05 in the corner shop on Tuesday on some yellow sticker bargains and some dairy to keep us going. Had a lasagna from the fridge that night, then spent £38.46 on a main shop on the Wednesday.

Also spent £11.40 on a chicken (£11.40!!!) at the butchers on Saturday. We had some friends round for a roast yesterday, then I'll do chicken pie tonight and chicken risotto tomorrow. Also sent my husband to work with a roast chicken and stuffing sandwich which he'll appreciate! Hoping to make some stock today once I've got all the meat off, and then some soup for the freezer from the left over veg.

£56.09 left, which I'm going to try and split into 2x £25 main shops and a few trips to the corner shop for YS bits. Might end up being a bit over budget this month.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th May 18, 10:05 AM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 10,755 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Spent 30.16 at the weekend on essentials which brings the total up to 76.57/150 and its half way through the month so I think if I'm careful I should be OK. Next shop will be for the dog as he's getting low on food, maybe I could have a look in the freezer and use some of that for him.
    November 2018 42.83/100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,619Posts Today

5,449Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin