Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 20th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,581Posts
    • 303Thanks
    britishboy
    Listening devices
    • 20th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    Listening devices 20th Apr 18 at 7:57 PM
    This is a genuine post people, so please bear with me..

Our newish neighbors have been next door for a year, and honestly whatever me and mrsbritishboy talk about, indoors, even fairly quietly the following day the crazy neighbour is talking about loudly in the garden. Its NOT coincidence, in the last month weve spoken about all sorts and within a day, shes in the garden talking loudly about the same food/idea/holiday/clothes/tv programme/memory from childhood/animal/holiday destination/new car/ everything

Could she be listening in on us? There really is no other explanation

We live in a solid, well built 1930s semi detached house so its not even as though its a new build

Is she a weirdo?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 20th Apr 18, 8:10 PM
    • 27,289 Posts
    • 11,003 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:10 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:10 PM
    Maybe your louder than you think?

Had your hearing checked?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 20th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    I hope that you're currently experiencing a phase of those "almost unbelievable coincidences" that happen occasionally.

Otherwise... I'd try deliberately having some really odd conversations involving very specific things that are unusual. Talk about a holiday to explore the banana fields of Uzbekistan, discuss the idea of getting a mongoose as a pet so you can have fresh eggs in the morning... or whatever else you can think of.

Map-makers include false information (non-existent streets) on their maps to identify anyone who reproduces them without permission. This is based on the same idea... Drop in some information that it would be impossible for your neighbour to be talking about unless they had overheard you, and see what happens...
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 12th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 12th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:33 PM
    Maybe your louder than you think?

Had your hearing checked?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    We used to talk indoors at a normal level, no we as good as whisper even with the TV on

And nothing wrong with our hearing
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 12th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 12th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:35 PM
    I hope that you're currently experiencing a phase of those "almost unbelievable coincidences" that happen occasionally.

Was hoping the same, but its continuing. Down to the same plants we are buying for the garden, what foods we are going to have for evening dinner, even spoke about changing the car the other day, and she was in the garden talking about the same car the following day....

Otherwise... I'd try deliberately having some really odd conversations involving very specific things that are unusual. Talk about a holiday to explore the banana fields of Uzbekistan, discuss the idea of getting a mongoose as a pet so you can have fresh eggs in the morning... or whatever else you can think of.

Have tried this with choosing a different car, pretty unusal meals and bits for the garden. It cant be coincidence??

Map-makers include false information (non-existent streets) on their maps to identify anyone who reproduces them without permission. This is based on the same idea... Drop in some information that it would be impossible for your neighbour to be talking about unless they had overheard you, and see what happens...
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Can she really be listening in on us???
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 12th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 12th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:42 PM
    Does mrsbritishboy hear the neighbours doing this - or do they do it just to you?
    • googler
    • By googler 12th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 14,797 Posts
    • 9,718 Thanks
    googler
    • 12th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 12th May 18, 4:22 PM
    Its NOT coincidence, in the last month weve spoken about all sorts and within a day, shes in the garden talking loudly about the same food/idea/holiday/clothes/tv programme/memory from childhood/animal/holiday destination/new car/ everything
    Originally posted by britishboy
    To whom? Her own family? Friends/relatives?

Assuming a worst-case scenario of the neighbours actually having a listening device in or around your home, you need countermeasures.

Have you looked around in your attic? Is it a shared attic, or is there a dividing wall?

Which of your rooms share a boundary with the neighbour? Have you closely examined these and the areas above and below for interference?

Do you have any rooms which do not border the neighbour? Have you tried talking about random topics there, to see if they percolate next door?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 8,251 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 12th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:34 PM
    Can she really be listening in on us???

If you've been talking about multiple topics that are so obscure or nonsensical that she couldn't have come up with them via any other method, then yes -- she's listening in on you.

But... I'd still have to question how likely this is. What would she have to gain by repeating your conversations? What could be her motivation?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 10,139 Posts
    • 11,408 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 12th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:17 PM
    What would she have to gain by repeating your conversations? What could be her motivation?
    Having lived next door to someone who was to put it politely "very strange", I know that not everyone has to have a logical reason or what seems like sensible motivation for doing something.

My ex-neighbour had a habit of going into the gardens of the houses on each side of her house in the middle of the night and moving any plants that were in pots.
    She never damaged or stole them, simply moved then a couple of feet around the gardens.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 22nd May 18, 7:13 AM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    Does mrsbritishboy hear the neighbours doing this - or do they do it just to you?
    Originally posted by Lorian
    We both hear it, the vast majority of things we discuss, within a day next door are talking about it at elevated levels in the garden
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 22nd May 18, 7:18 AM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    To whom? Her own family? Friends/relatives?

yes to her own family, her partner and children
    Assuming a worst-case scenario of the neighbours actually having a listening device in or around your home, you need countermeasures.

Have you looked around in your attic? Is it a shared attic, or is there a dividing wall?
    strong well built houses, all solid walls, no plasterboard walls, no shared attic, solid brick built dividing walls
    Which of your rooms share a boundary with the neighbour? Have you closely examined these and the areas above and below for interference?

Only our lounge, havent examined for interference as unsure of what you mean

Do you have any rooms which do not border the neighbour? Have you tried talking about random topics there, to see if they percolate next door?

lots of rooms, hadnt thought of that as most evenings we use the lounge, will try your idea out
    Originally posted by googler
    As above, thanks everyone for your genuine support with this
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 22nd May 18, 7:22 AM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    If you've been talking about multiple topics that are so obscure or nonsensical that she couldn't have come up with them via any other method, then yes -- she's listening in on you.

she has to be listening in on us

But... I'd still have to question how likely this is. What would she have to gain by repeating your conversations? What could be her motivation?

I know highly unlikely but its too coincidental. She a bit of a crank at the best of times, screaming and yelling at her children and partner about the most trivial things then 1 minute later acting as though nothing happened. Its most days in the garden so you cant even ignore it or not hear it.
    As above, thanks again
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 22nd May 18, 8:06 AM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 5,936 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Discuss murdering your neighbours
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 22nd May 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    You beat me to it

Once, a work colleague jokingly asked what I thought was the best way to get rid of a body so I replied "Well the last time I had to do it....."
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 4th Jun 18, 5:06 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    Originally posted by Norman Castle

This may be our only option (joking, before anyone thinks im being serious)

Right, we've spoken quietly about 3 or 4 other things indoors and the following day, next door is in the garden talking about the exact same things.

Seriously, can they be listening in on us? Is it possible?
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 4th Jun 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Have you, they, or both of you got one of those Alexa thingy's ??
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 4th Jun 18, 5:20 PM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 3,003 Thanks
    John Gray
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    If so, try "Alexa: how are the neighbours spying on us?"
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 4th Jun 18, 5:36 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    Originally posted by greyteam1959

We havent, unsure of next door though

Could they listen in on us if only they had an Alexa??
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 4th Jun 18, 5:41 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    We discussed decorating a bedroom last week, with an unusual fancy named paint (basically its a grey colour) then the next day she was in ther garden shouting about thids particular colour to her other half. Seriously its so wierd
    • that
    • By that 4th Jun 18, 6:35 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    that
    We discussed decorating a bedroom last week, with an unusual fancy named paint (basically its a grey colour) then the next day she was in ther garden shouting about thids particular colour to her other half. Seriously its so wierd
    Are you sure that one or both of you do not have a hearing problem, and so to compensate, you shout at each other, disturbing the neighbour's peace. Now the neighbours now have had enough, and want to be unsubtle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

300Posts Today

3,359Users online

Martin's Twitter