Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jasonwatkins
    • By jasonwatkins 18th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 1,995Posts
    • 665Thanks
    jasonwatkins
    looking for a specific doctor's letter if anyone had any ideas?
    • 18th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    looking for a specific doctor's letter if anyone had any ideas? 18th Apr 18 at 3:38 PM
    i'm currently trying to obtain a doctor's letter from my GP but i'm having problems due to her refusal to sign off on two particular clauses.

the letter in question would enable me to start a particular dieting program and it needs to initially confirm some basic details like name, weight, height e.t.c.. but it also needs to confirm that a sensible, calorie controlled diet won't be detrimental to my health (which it won't be..) and that the weight loss will be achieved without resorting to surgery (which it also won't be).

these are the two particular clauses my GP isn't willing to sign off on so i'm wondering if there's any way I could obtain such a letter form another medical professional ?

i'm currently waiting on a call from NHS 111 for further advice as well.

I'd obviously be willing to play ball as far as submitting to any medical examinations or health checks necessary and also pay for the letter as well, but i'm at a loss for ideas at the moment so if anyone had any ideas i'd certainly be grateful. thanks.
    Last edited by jasonwatkins; 18-04-2018 at 4:01 PM.
Page 5
    • jasonwatkins
    • By jasonwatkins 12th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    jasonwatkins
    Going by your user name and your location, I'm not convinced there's much else you could reveal on a public forum that isn't easily available. Just those show somebody with that exact name and location winning 1200 for betting 50 they could lose 8st in 2011/12, putting most of it back on and trying again a second time in 2014/15 (and presumably not succeeding after losing just over 2 and a half stone out of the seven and a bit in the second bet).
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Firstly, I don't know who you found in 2014/15 though because that most certainly was not me.

But yes, that was me back in 2011. I'm surprised nobody found it sooner to be honest, but I didn't mention it because I didn't feel it was relevant due to it being nearly a decade ago.

But it has relevance in some respects though because i'm proof that it can be done, as are all other people who do it every year.

It also proves that I didn't "endanger my health" either because I didn't crash diet, I didn't starve myself and I basically did exactly what I said I would do - sensible diet and sensible exercise.

And please, please don't bother typing "so why can't you do that now ?" because i've already answered that in this thread.

I know this doesn't fit in with everyone's pre-configured idea of "normal" but it's nothing i didn't get back in 2010 when i first heard of the idea. My GP refused me back than as well and it took me eight months of trawling around doctors, dieticians and other "medical professionals" before I had an appointment in 2011 with someone at the Royal Brompton Hospital.

I explained the situation to him and he told me he thought it was a brilliant idea and asked me to wait for 10 minutes. He nipped out of the room and came back 10 minutes later with a signed letter that was exactly what I needed and I started the bet about a fortnight later.

As an aside, if my GP had played ball back then and written me the letter than i'd have won 10k instead of 1.2k. William Hill had so many people winning the bets back then that between the time I asked my GP initially and the time I eventually got a letter, they'd dramatically reduced the odds and payout amounts.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    • 24,678 Posts
    • 98,495 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    If it had worked, you'd have maintained the loss.

It's the same reason why people who have weight loss surgery can put the weight back on - because without addressing the reasons why they eat what they do, what emotional or physical problems they are trying to deal with through food are not resolved and they find ways to still have too many calories and sabotage themselves. And why some go on to develop other eating disorders characterised by not eating enough or purging. Because just cutting calories and exercising for a short time doesn't fix the underlying psychology and dysfunctional relationship with food, anymore than betting money or taking part in a TV show does.

I am not trying to hurt or in any way dismiss you - you still achieved something and proved that you can lose weight for a short period. But you can't want to be in the same position again and again - it just isn't healthy for your body, it's not healthy for your mind, as you could, for example, lose it, then start overeating again, subconsciously reasoning 'well, I can just put another bet on and lose it again', just as some who have had WLS reason that they can get it redone/have more radical surgery next time.

If you are still determined that you will not lose weight unless you have this bet, why not invest half your stake money in getting a private referral to the same consultant you say thought it was a great idea? If they still say it works, then fine, you get what you reckon will work and if they now say 'it's not such a good idea this time' (bearing in mind that with the increase in WLS and bets, they will have seen whether dramatic weightloss for various reasons is sustainable in the longterm/any other issues people have encountered, so might have a better understanding and experience of people who have gone on to regain their weight than in 2011).

If you're right and I'm wrong, it'll be worth the investment.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 14th Aug 18, 3:04 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Firstly, I don't know who you found in 2014/15 though because that most certainly was not me.

But yes, that was me back in 2011. I'm surprised nobody found it sooner to be honest, but I didn't mention it because I didn't feel it was relevant due to it being nearly a decade ago.
    Originally posted by jasonwatkins
    I found her a few posts ago (from details given in her own bio) Looks like she's reported me and had my post removed..

Which is why the short posts I wrote after that don't seem to make much sense or follow the discussion.

Funny how people who dish it out don't like it when someone does it back to them

But yes, you might want to remove personal details if you don't want bored individuals on here to dox you and/or start preaching at you. Maybe get your user name changed or something.
    "If you run into a difficult person in the morning, you ran into an difficult person. If you run into difficult people all day.. you're the difficult person."

cleaned up version of Raylan Givens quote, Justified
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 14th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 3,871 Thanks
    k3lvc
    I found her a few posts ago (from details given in her own bio) Looks like she's reported me and had my post removed..

Which is why the short posts I wrote after that don't seem to make much sense or follow the discussion.

Funny how people who dish it out don't like it when someone does it back to them

But yes, you might want to remove personal details if you don't want bored individuals on here to dox you and/or start preaching at you. Maybe get your user name changed or something.
    Originally posted by fibonarchie
    Poor judgement by Admin if that's the case - whole thread should be removed given OP's attitude
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,508Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin