Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • albionsarah
    • By albionsarah 17th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    • 103Posts
    • 287Thanks
    albionsarah
    Please help me get a lawn!
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    Please help me get a lawn! 17th Apr 18 at 11:50 PM
    Hi! I had some building work done at the end of last year, the lawn was covered in machines, bricks etc and all my grass died.

I now have a big mud/dirt patch with a LOT of weeds (dandelion) and some moss. Will attempt a picture if i can work out how.

Can anyone advise the best course of action?

Iíd like an actual lawn where it was before, but unsure on how to go about it. Do I need to dig, weedkill the whole area, chuck lots of soil away and get some more? Then get new turf or grass seed?

Thank you for any advice youíve got for me! X
Page 1
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 18th Apr 18, 7:00 AM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 3,267 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:00 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:00 AM
    How was the lawn beforehand? Well-drained? If so, I would suggest it will still drain well and needs cleared and turfed. I'd spray the weeds now, wait 2 weeks, then add a half inch layer of "turf base", which is a mix of loamy soil and a little sand, just to help the turf root, and turf it. You COULD seed it if you're in no rush to use the lawn.

If it drained poorly then think about getting some trench drains, and hiring a rotovator to dig in a good amount of compost and grit/sharp sand before treading it all level and turfing.
    • albionsarah
    • By albionsarah 18th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    albionsarah
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    Thanks!

Yes it was well drained but full of weeds, to be honest I didnít look after it nicely so this is my own fault

Okay so weed kill the whole lot on a dry day, wait 2 weeks ish then add this turf base soil/sand mixture. Then lay new turf on top.
    Sounds good to me, thank you for your advice

What kind of place is good to get turf from, garden centre or??? I donít want to get ripped off but happy to pay extra for Ďniceí grass!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,539Users online

Martin's Twitter