Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 17th Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    • 1,844Posts
    • 777Thanks
    isplumm
    Ultra Fast Broadband - when available?
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    Ultra Fast Broadband - when available? 17th Apr 18 at 10:20 PM
    Hi,

So I am buying a new-build house - moving at the end of May.

I have been told by the builder that we can get ultra fast broadband - yet when I check the various providers it appears the best we get is 10 mbps - yet the paperwork I have states we can get 300 mbps, as all the houses have a fibre link running from the local telephone exchange with no street cabinets.

Obviously this is not correct at the moment - so I am trying to find out when / if I will get this 300mbps.

So my question is how do I find this information out - I have asked the builder & they are next to useless!

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 18th Apr 18, 7:59 AM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:59 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:59 AM
    If it!!!8217;s Openreach FTTP then it!!!8217;s when the fibre cable and all of the associated network cabling is complete.

Keep on at the builder.

You can also use the when and where checker on the Openreach site.
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 18th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    • 18th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    Hi,

Obviously this is not correct at the moment - so I am trying to find out when / if I will get this 300mbps.

Thanks Mark
    Originally posted by isplumm

Good luck getting FTTP

We are four months into our new build and still without service. This is very common from speaking to dozens of people in new builds.

Thankfully 4G mobile home broadband deals exist as I've lost the will to live speaking to BT

300Mbps is not cheap and you be tied in and be at the mercy of BT contract renewal prices. You will pay £30pm for the lowest infinity speed. There are other FTTP providers like Zen but all more expensive. Pretty crap really...

Cheers
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 18th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 18th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    Hi,

I have been told by the builder that we can get ultra fast broadband - yet when I check the various providers it appears the best we get is 10 mbps - yet the paperwork I have states we can get 300 mbps, as all the houses have a fibre link running from the local telephone exchange with no street cabinets.

So my question is how do I find this information out - I have asked the builder & they are next to useless!

Thanks Mark
    Originally posted by isplumm
    Is it Openreach fibre to the premises or one of the niche 'Alt Nets' providers ?, if it's OR FTTP, not many ISP's offer service over it , so no point in checking the likes of Sky or Talk Talk, as for whatever reason they don't offer service over OR's FTTP
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Apr 18, 6:05 PM
    • 9,042 Posts
    • 5,388 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 18th Apr 18, 6:05 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 6:05 PM

You can also use the when and where checker on the Openreach site.
    Originally posted by lee111s

This isn't always helpful, as our area's date for fibre was constantly put back. Then our exchange was enabled, but just our estate (excluding properties looking outwards)was excluded.

Despite being on a list of people requesting being informed when there was availability, I only found out by chance, last week, that we actually are enabled, but I've no idea how long this has been the case.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 18th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    We've just been enabled. Should have been last June, then by Xmas and eventually it seemed to be around the beginning of March although I only found out by chance whilst checking the OpenReach availability page. So you need to keep checking yourslf

Non of the providers or even Connecting Cambridgeshire who I'd registered with bothered to let me or anyone else know. It's been a hard slog though, three mucked up orders, they disconnected my landline completely for two weeks but eventually got the fibre up and running on 3rd April.

I was getting 76mbit/s indicated by several speed testers. A great improvement on the just about 2mbits that were getting.

It lasted two weeks then the Water Co dug up the verge and managed to damage the cable so we've been without BB since 16th April and there's no sign of it coming back on.

There are already seven or eight of us on it with another couple due to be connected next week and we are just a bit cheesed off at the moment. I've got a MiFi unit but it's an expensive way to stay on line.

Not everso impressed with BT as they've just demonstrated that they couldn't organise a P-up in a brewery. I don't know if any of the other providers would be much better as they would all be at the mercy of Open Reach.

However that said they probably don't have the disorganised and convoluted process that BT have got in place.

BTW, my neighbour has manage to sign up with PlusNet on their FTTP trial with what looks like a better deal than BT. He signed up on Friday and is due to be connected next week with significantly less hassle than I've had trying to do it with BT.
    Last edited by matelodave; 18-04-2018 at 7:29 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • cajef
    • By cajef 18th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 4,744 Posts
    • 3,787 Thanks
    cajef
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    BTW, my neighbour has manage to sign up with PlusNet on their FTTP trial with what looks like a better deal than BT. He signed up on Friday and is due to be connected next week with significantly less hassle than I've had trying to do it with BT.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    New customers cannot sign up to Plusnet FTTP trial you have to be an existing ADSL customer to get onto the trial.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 18th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    Thanks
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    Hi,

So I went on to the Open Reach site & get the following message:

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.
    This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.

No idea what that means - but I guess it will be a long wait!

I am going to find out the email of the CEO and email him / her! Won't do any good - but it will keep me amused for a while.

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 19th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 19th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 19th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    New customers cannot sign up to Plusnet FTTP trial you have to be an existing ADSL customer to get onto the trial.
    Originally posted by cajef
    Yes, he is an existing customer but worthwhile knowing if you are and FTTP is available.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

1,993Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin