Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • S_m_manson
    • By S_m_manson 17th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    S_m_manson
    Wrong driver named on parking ticket.
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    Wrong driver named on parking ticket. 17th Apr 18 at 9:20 PM
    Hello. I've been looking through this forum for a few days now to try and find a thread that can relate to my problem but no luck so I've created a new one.
    I received a parking ticket at work whilst parked in barrier controlled car park. (Total parking solutions) Only people who have a paid for card can access this car park. I have a permit but unfortunately it flew off the dash board as I closed the car and ended up on the passenger seat.
    The main issues is they've accused my boyfriend as being the driver even though I have physical proof that he wasn't even in the county on the date of the ticket. He works away for weeks to months at a time. Now they've sent a pre court notice. Since they addressed all the demands to my boyfriend I haven't opened his mail until he returned home. Am I right in thinking that if they don't know who the driver is they cannot build a case to take him to court. I know I have no obligation to tell them who the driver is so surely the 'case' that ie legal solicitors have built against him would be useless? Some of my work colleagues told me to just ignore it. The only way of contact ie legal solicitors have given me is a phone number. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 35,602 Posts
    • 19,818 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    Maybe your boyfriend is the keeper and not the driver?

MAybe you can forward his mail to him - he shouldn't ignore a pre court notice if it is a proper letter before court action

Read up about this whole business by going through the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum

Forget about ringing the solicitors!!
    Last edited by Quentin; 17-04-2018 at 9:31 PM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 17th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 17,580 Posts
    • 27,800 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    Some of my work colleagues told me to just ignore it.
    Presumably they are underwriting any costs you might incur as a result of their appalling advice? Ask them.

The main issues is they've accused my boyfriend as being the driver even though I have physical proof that he wasn't even in the county on the date of the ticket.
    They have no means of knowing who the driver was. Presumably your bf is the registered keeper - that's why they are writing to him, not as the driver.

Am I right in thinking that if they don't know who the driver is they cannot build a case to take him to court
    Incorrect. They can pursue the registered keeper (in the absence of the RK not providing the driver's details - your bf shouldn't do this) provided they meet every requirement of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

The only way of contact ie legal solicitors have given me is a phone number.
    To which organisation does IE solicitors require payment to be made?

Please read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky to know how to deal with this.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • S_m_manson
    • By S_m_manson 17th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    S_m_manson
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    I am the keeper of the car he's just insured on it. I've read through all the 'newbie' stuff on my quest to look for advice.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 35,602 Posts
    • 19,818 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    How did they get his details?? (Was he previously the keeper?)
    • S_m_manson
    • By S_m_manson 17th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    S_m_manson
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    It's with total parking solutions. Should I phone the solicitors tomorrow to explain what's happening? My boyfriend is currently away on a job and isn't due back till next week.
    • S_m_manson
    • By S_m_manson 17th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    S_m_manson
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    I don't know how they got his details it is what confused me the most about this whole situation
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,284 Thanks
    waamo
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    If he is not and has never been the registered keeper then they should not have his details unless the registered keeper provided them.

I would first ask the DVLA who requested the details of the keeper and what details they provided.

I would also ask the ppc how they obtained the details and why they believe your boyfriend was the driver.
    This space for hire.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 18th Apr 18, 8:36 AM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 4,394 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:36 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:36 AM
    That would be interesting if they took him to court and he had incontrovertible proof he wasn't even in the country!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 17,580 Posts
    • 27,800 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I don't know how they got his details it is what confused me the most about this whole situation
    Originally posted by S_m_manson
    Norris Cole self-ticketer who maybe knows the bf's details and harbours some kind of grudge?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Apr 18, 9:44 AM
    • 35,602 Posts
    • 19,818 Thanks
    Quentin
    @OP

If you have inadvertently used your real name as your forum name you need to get MSE to change it to something truly anonymous

The PPCs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

6,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin