Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • silentbull
    • By silentbull 17th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Advice on Sewers/Extensions
    • #1
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    Advice on Sewers/Extensions 17th Apr 18 at 9:17 PM

    I have a 1965 built semi detached house. Recently I have applied for Planning permission which got approved for Front Porch/Single Storey Rear Extension and Garage Conversion. Now here comes the questions as I am really freaked out.

    1. I was looking at the Drainage and Water report of my property and saw that there is a foul sewer in the border of rear of the house. This freaked me out as I had a negative thinking that the utility company will straightaway reject my Extension build. Please advise. It is going to get better from second point.

    2. As I was looking into property documents, I saw a sewer indemnity insurance. As per my knowledge , for old properties, there is no need of build over agreement. Then why was I given a sewer indemnity insurance. does it mean by existing house itself will be teared apart by utility company. Please advise whether they have rights to do so for original build of house built on 1965.

    3. My drainage report shows no sewer on the front of the property, does it mean I can build porch and garage conversion without any issues.

    4. Are build over agreements only for extensions/additions? It might also count for new build, but does it count for old properties and with old extensions which has BR.
    Last edited by silentbull; 17-04-2018 at 9:19 PM. Reason: missed out
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 17th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 26,304 Posts
    • 70,856 Thanks
    • #2
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • #2
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    Everyone has sewers, most of us have ones that are shared on some level. There is no reason why you wouldn't be allowed a build over agreement, but the work needs to be done.

    I don't know where you got the impression that you don't one. If your drains are shared - and by that I mean someone elses drain runs in to yours on the way to the main sewer, then you need a build over agreement if you are within 3 metres of that sewer. This has applied to all shared sewers since 2011.

    Your indemnity is for something else. It will not cover you for future work near the drain.

    The build over agreement, if required, is required as part of the building control application. Your extension will not be signed off as being of sufficient quality if you need a build over agreement and do not have one.

    The water companies offer plenty of guidance. Google your water company and build over agreement for their guidance.

    Nothing to freak out about, by the way. The water companies are very helpful and friendly.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,829Posts Today

6,700Users online

Martin's Twitter