Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Agirlhasnoname
    • By Agirlhasnoname 17th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Agirlhasnoname
    Curious about how others run their boilers?
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    Curious about how others run their boilers? 17th Apr 18 at 9:11 PM
    Hi

Have just had a new Worcester Bosch greenstar heatslave boiler installed and have a Honeywell wireless programmable thermostat. I have kept the thermostat portable so I can move it room to room depending on need e.g. have fire on in living room which is at the set temp so the bedrooms wouldnít heat up so took thermostat into one of the kids bedrooms so they would get some heat

Have set all the days up for 18 and then going down to around 14 for during the day when no one is here and overnight.

Mine is a combi boiler and the thermostat has no where for controlling the hot water which I have set at 3 on the boiler and I also have the eco mode on for this, although the instruction booklet does say you should switch the hot water off over night or if away but I have no way of doing this.

I do have TRVs which I keep at max in the living room ( where thermostat mostly is) all other rooms in the house are set at 2.

The boiler has a drawer you pull out which has all the boiler controls on and the little display has number on like at the minute it says 39 but I set it to 65 is this just the temp of the water coming through the boiler?

I find it all very confusing but Iím hoping this all looks ok so far, Iím trying to save the most amount of heating and oil/money whilst still being comfortable!

For info itís an old stone farm cottage, pvc double glazing, loft insulation (which must be good as when all the bad snow was here the roof always had snow on)! but no cavity wall as there is no cavity!
Page 1
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 18th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    Have you read the instructions?
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 18th Apr 18, 10:31 AM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:31 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:31 AM
    Those setting seem about right for a start.

You could try experimenting with the boiler temp, try dropping it to 60 degrees and see if your hot water is still hot enough and that the place warms up quickly enough and maintains it's temperature when it very cold outside.

You could also try tweaking the thermostat settings. Most programmable stats have the option of up to six temp/time periods a day so you could try adjusting them a bit to suit when you are active or sitting in front of the telly etc.

Like most things, there's no right or wrong way, it's what suits you, your lifestyle and what temperatures you are happy with.

It's relatively easy to check how tweaking stuff affects your fuel consumption when you've got gas or electric heating as they are metered. It's much more difficult with oil.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,731Posts Today

6,999Users online

Martin's Twitter