Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trevstonbury
    • By trevstonbury 17th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    trevstonbury
    Putting VAT down as N/A on invoices - is this OK if not VAT registered?
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    Putting VAT down as N/A on invoices - is this OK if not VAT registered? 17th Apr 18 at 9:06 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Question is pretty much summed up in the subject line. Is it OK to have VAT written on your invoice but have N/A next to it, if you're not VAT registered?

Many thanks

Trevor
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 17th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    Not sure what you mean - are you charging VAT?
    • trevstonbury
    • By trevstonbury 17th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trevstonbury
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    No im not charging VAT, im just using an old template and instead of putting any value in for VAT I just put N/A next to it. I'm a sole trader and not VAT registered;

Do I need to do something else to ensure it's clear, that im not charging VAT or registered?

Cheers

Trevor
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 8,519 Posts
    • 9,653 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    I've seen "No VAT has been charged on this sale" printed on invoices from non-VAT-registered businesses.

Especially if you're selling to a VAT-registered business you need to clearly distinguish between exempt/zero-rated sales (on which no VAT has been charged, but in some cases could be reclaimed by the buyer) and an invoice which has no VAT charged because the seller is unregistered.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 17th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    If you!!!8217;re not VAT registered then really there should not be any need to mention VAT on your invoice whatsoever.
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 21st Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 21st Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 21st Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    When you say "template" do you mean something electronic that you can edit. If so then you really should remove all references to VAT.

If you mean stationery, as in you have a load of already printed blank invoices and you are handwriting them for example, then that's different. In that case then I would say it's okay to put "n/a" next to the VAT, or just zero, or a line through, to make it clear you're not charging VAT. If this is the case, then you should then ensure the next batch of printed blank invoices you get doesn't include VAT.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 21st Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 21st Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 21st Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    as he said above ^^

the technically correct answer is if you are not VAT registered you should not make any reference to VAT whatsoever in any form
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    I have been required when invoicing a large company as a not vat registered person to specifically state on the invoice that I am not VAT registered so no VAT has been charged.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 21st Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 19,592 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 21st Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 21st Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    When you say "template" do you mean something electronic that you can edit. If so then you really should remove all references to VAT.

If you mean stationery, as in you have a load of already printed blank invoices and you are handwriting them for example, then that's different. In that case then I would say it's okay to put "n/a" next to the VAT, or just zero, or a line through, to make it clear you're not charging VAT. If this is the case, then you should then ensure the next batch of printed blank invoices you get doesn't include VAT.
    Originally posted by anniecave
    In which case, the OP would also have to block out the VAT registration number to render it unreadable.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 21st Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 21st Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 21st Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    If you!!!8217;re not VAT registered then really there should not be any need to mention VAT on your invoice whatsoever.
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    This is exactly the advice from HMRC I received before I was VAT registered, the word VAT cannot appear at all on the invoice. You can't even write "we are not VAT registered" on it.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 21st Apr 18, 10:55 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    I have been required when invoicing a large company as a not vat registered person to specifically state on the invoice that I am not VAT registered so no VAT has been charged.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    Tell them it is against HMRC guidelines to do so. If there is no mention of VAT on the invoice they should not be claiming any input VAT so there should be no confusion on this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,290Posts Today

7,787Users online

Martin's Twitter