Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sgoode
    • By sgoode 17th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 36Thanks
    sgoode
    Concern over service history of potential new car
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    Concern over service history of potential new car 17th Apr 18 at 8:56 PM
    Hi,
    I'm looking at buying a 2013 Ford Focus ST but was a bit alarmed to see that its first ever service was at 22,000 miles/1 year. As far as I am aware the service intervals are 12500 miles/1 year. Am I right to be concerned? It's now done 60k and has had its other services at the right time/mileage. I wouldn't be concerned about a few miles over the recommended interval, but this is nearly double. The engine would have been running in during those 22k miles and I have no idea of whether the oil ran low or anything during that time.

The car is cheap, compared to others for sale, which is why I am entertaining it. It is private so there will be no warranty or dealer comeback.

Thanks
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    • 28,186 Posts
    • 11,457 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    You will have no idea whether the oil ran low on any 2nd hand purchase.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th Apr 18, 1:50 AM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:50 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:50 AM
    It may have been a hire vehicle in which case its first service may not have been done at a Ford dealer but in house so not recorded.

If its running fine now I wouldn't be worried. I bought my car at 2 years old with 38k on the clock. It had been a rental and its first two services weren't when they should have been done. I've serviced it when it should have been ever since. It is now 8 years old, on 130,000 miles as of tomorrow when I go to work and it has never caused me any problems. Other than a suspension bush and a track rod end its been faultless.

Modern oil and filters aren't like old. Engine manufacturing tolerances are much tighter. Mobil now sell an engine oil which they state is for 20,000 miles and manufacturers are now moving onto 20k service intervals.
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    facade
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    As above, there is no manufacturer warranty left, so the "missing" service won't affect a claim, and it seems to have soldiered on for 40,000 miles since that first service.
    If it seems allright now then it is as allright as any other 60,000 mile ST that you don't know how it has been driven.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • King_Nothing
    • By King_Nothing 18th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    King_Nothing
    • 18th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    Wouldn't bother me personally, as long as it's had the other services like you said it has.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 18th Apr 18, 10:04 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    markudman
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:04 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:04 AM
    So confused, if it run that low on oil, and done some damage,Believe me you will know, its a ST so is a car that will have been ragged around, and no doubt you want to buy it because, its part of Ford's performance range.
    you buying it because its cheap,
    then you take a risk, if you are not a risk taker, then buy from a low risk dealer,
    if you have the cash and want to take a risk buy it, if you are not a risk taker do not buy it, Simples
    buying any second hand car is a risk, even from the dealer. buying anything second hand is a risk, unless you know the history is correct.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 18th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 5,431 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    You are worrying about something that happened seven years ago.

What are you actually worried about?

Not having a service at the right time seven years ago will not affect anything anywhere. And it won't have done any damage then that could affect the car now.

Most seven year old cars don't even have a service history.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 18th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 6,321 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    Its not a difficult decision.

If the car is straight, runs OK on a good test run, has a clean HPI, good MOT record, plenty of evidence i.e. paperwork and recipts, not just stamps in a book that it has been looked after well since the missed service you buy it.

Any doubts about any of the above find another.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 18th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    markudman
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    You are worrying about something that happened seven years ago.

What are you actually worried about?

Not having a service at the right time seven years ago will not affect anything anywhere. And it won't have done any damage then that could affect the car now.

Most seven year old cars don't even have a service history.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    Agree Totally, but, will that make it 5 years old? 2013-2018
    Last edited by markudman; 18-04-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    • sgoode
    • By sgoode 18th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    sgoode
    Thanks all.

I am not concerned about warranty claims or anything as I know the warranty is history. I am worried about the oil having been in the engine for 10,000 miles longer than the recommended service interval, particularly while the engine was running in, and probably driven hard (as it is an ST). Is this not likely to have caused premature engine wear and lead to potential burning of oil and other problems as it gets older? I have had previous cars which have consumed oil without any visible smoke, so I wouldn't necessarily be able to check this on a test drive.

I always thought that changing the oil on time was the most important aspect of looking after an engine and keeping it in good condition? I know some manufacturers now have much longer service intervals but it was still 12,500 miles on this car.

The seller is quite desperate to get rid as he has got a new car, so I have managed to provisionally negotiate a price that is about £3.5k cheaper than a comparable one from a dealer. It does have a few minor car park dings, kerbed alloys etc whereas the dealer ones are mint.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 18th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    markudman
    if you have the cash and want to take a risk buy it,
    if you are not a risk taker do not buy it,
    Simples

No one can tell you if its going to blow up or not,
    I am sure if you went to church and asked god he would give the same advise as you have had on here.
    if we all had a crystal ball we would all have the life we want,
    as daveyjp said:
    Its not a difficult decision.

If the car is straight, runs OK on a good test run, has a clean HPI, good MOT record, plenty of evidence i.e. paperwork and recipts, not just stamps in a book that it has been looked after well since the missed service you buy it.

Any doubts about any of the above find another.

I'm not sure what you want,
    Buy a RAC / AA warranty with £3500 you saved

Follow this link
    https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/car-warranty/
    Last edited by markudman; 18-04-2018 at 2:27 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    Tarambor
    You have a clear choice. You buy a less than ideally looked after but running fine used one without any consumer rights from a private seller and save £3.5k or you buy a well looked after one with consumer law protection and warranty from a dealer and pay the extra £3.5k over the private sale.

I am worried about the oil having been in the engine for 10,000 miles longer than the recommended service interval
    But that may not have been the case. It may have been done. All that has happened is that it hasn't been done at a Ford dealer or it has been done and for whatever reason hasn't been recorded.

Just a question as I've had a thought, where are you looking at the service history, in the service book? I'm just wondering if the service book isn't the original one that the vehicle was sold with so the first service that was done isn't in that book. That could certainly happen if the car had been on finance and had been repossessed. As I said earlier, my Mondeo was an ex-hire vehicle, the service booklet was nowhere to be seen but there was a printout of its service history. My local Ford dealership supplied me with a replacement when I took it to them for its first service under my ownership so the first service with a Ford dealer stamp in my booklet is at 37,500 miles.

Ford store all their service history on computer and your local Ford dealership can print out the full service record of any Ford so it may be worth a trip to your local main dealer and asking them there. You may find it was done and that it has either not been recorded in the booklet or that its not the original booklet.

Ultimately though at any mileage a full service history isn't a guarantee of the condition of a vehicle, especially a performance one. For all you know it could have spent every weekend under one or more previous owners being thrashed around Croft race circuit or hooning up Santa Pod. A friend of mine used to rally cars and he'd be rebuilding the engine every few thousand miles because it was shagged by then.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 18-04-2018 at 2:31 PM.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 18th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    markudman
    You have a clear choice. You buy a less than ideally looked after but running fine used one without any consumer rights from a private seller and save £3.5k or you buy a well looked after one with consumer law protection and warranty from a dealer and pay the extra £3.5k over the private sale.

But that may not have been the case. It may have been done. All that has happened is that it hasn't been done at a Ford dealer or it has been done and for whatever reason hasn't been recorded.

Just a question as I've had a thought, where are you looking at the service history, in the service book? I'm just wondering if the service book isn't the original one that the vehicle was sold with so the first service that was done isn't in that book. That could certainly happen if the car had been on finance and had been repossessed. As I said earlier, my Mondeo was an ex-hire vehicle, the service booklet was nowhere to be seen but there was a printout of its service history. My local Ford dealership supplied me with a replacement when I took it to them for its first service under my ownership so the first service with a Ford dealer stamp in my booklet is at 37,500 miles.

Ford store all their service history on computer and your local Ford dealership can print out the full service record of any Ford so it may be worth a trip to your local main dealer and asking them there. You may find it was done and that it has either not been recorded in the booklet or that its not the original booklet.

Ultimately though at any mileage a full service history isn't a guarantee of the condition of a vehicle, especially a performance one. For all you know it could have spent every weekend under one or more previous owners being thrashed around Croft race circuit or hooning up Santa Pod. A friend of mine used to rally cars and he'd be rebuilding the engine every few thousand miles because it was shagged by then.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    What a great post, nobody knows
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 18th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 5,431 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Agree Totally, but, will that make it 5 years old? 2013-2018
    Originally posted by markudman
    I blame Mrs Kenyon, my old maths teacher. Never could understand mathematics.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • markudman
    • By markudman 18th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    markudman
    Mrs Kenyon has a lot to answer for LOL
    count to 100 1-2-3 miss a few 99-100
    • sgoode
    • By sgoode 18th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    sgoode
    I have contacted the Ford dealer who did all the services and they confirmed that the services in the book were correct, i.e. no missing first service, unless it was done somewhere else and not recorded.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was expecting there to be more replies saying not to touch it with a barge pole due to the importance of correct servicing at the correct intervals but the consensus is clearly that I am being far too anal and in fact worrying about nothing. I haven't driven it yet (although I've had a good look around it), so I will make sure it drives ok before making a decision.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Its not a case of being anal, a decent service history is a sign it has been looked after. However by 60,000 miles a decent service history isn't a guarantee of there being no issues on the horizon, minor or major, and it is too easy to place too much importance on the service history being an indicator of that. You need to be focussing most on the state of the vehicle when you are looking to buy it, not what it has been in the past.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 18th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    markudman
    I have contacted the Ford dealer who did all the services and they confirmed that the services in the book were correct, i.e. no missing first service, unless it was done somewhere else and not recorded.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was expecting there to be more replies saying not to touch it with a barge pole due to the importance of correct servicing at the correct intervals but the consensus is clearly that I am being far too anal and in fact worrying about nothing. I haven't driven it yet (although I've had a good look around it), so I will make sure it drives ok before making a decision.
    Originally posted by sgoode
    take it for a longest test drive, just to satisfy yourself. or get it checked by AA / RAC
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 18th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    If it had been 22k over 4 years without a service then the car engine would probably not be in good shape as lots of short journeys knacker the oil quickly, but because the miles were all done in a year, most of them will have been done with the car warmed up and little wear occurring. When my car was new it was 1 year/10k for services, but they changed that to 2 years and 20k when they brought in the new model, but it used exactly the same engine. Oils have improved greatly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,633Posts Today

8,196Users online

Martin's Twitter