Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shaznay1
    • By Shaznay1 17th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Shaznay1
    Dyslexic -,didn't get job due to spelling
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    Dyslexic -,didn't get job due to spelling 17th Apr 18 at 8:11 PM
    Hi

Applied for a government job and advised in the job application disability part of my dyslexia diagnosis. Just got an email rejecting the application because of spelling...(which is related to dyslexia.) I would call them but their is no visible contact number for recruitment and the email advised to not respond to it. If I'm having this issue with dyslexia i can only imagine that they are probably ignoring others disability issues as well! Does anyone know of a governing body who maybe able to investigate. x
Page 1
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    Sorry but being dyslexic doesnít mean itís ok to submit an application with spelling errors. Iím amazed that isnít obvious.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 17th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    All this cr*p things are written on paper, equality act, etc.
    Of course discrimination exists. Keep trying OP, you will find a employer that can understand.

Yes, my comment is from experience.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 5,872 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    Hi

Applied for a government job and advised in the job application disability part of my dyslexia diagnosis. Just got an email rejecting the application because of spelling...(which is related to dyslexia.) I would call them but their is no visible contact number for recruitment and the email advised to not respond to it. If I'm having this issue with dyslexia i can only imagine that they are probably ignoring others disability issues as well! Does anyone know of a governing body who maybe able to investigate. x
    Originally posted by Shaznay1
    What stopped you filling it out, getting someone to check and amend mistakes and redoing it?

Or completing it online in Word with spellcheck etc?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    Of course discrimination exists. Keep trying OP, you will find a employer that can understand.

Originally posted by tazwhoever
    Discrimination exists, but so do dictionaries, spell checkers and proof readers. Iíve worked with many dyslexic people who wouldnít dream of using their dyslexia as an excuse for submitting misspelled work.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 17th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:31 PM

The Equality Act allows for reasonable adjustments. Ignoring a failure to spell check an application would not fall under this provision. I note that the spelling in the original post is perfect, so the OP must have a access to assistive technology to overcome their difficulty. Also dyslexia in isolation is unlikely to fulfil the definition of a disability under the Equality Act, only the most severe cases would qualify.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 17th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    Discrimination exists, but so do dictionaries, spell checkers and proof readers. Iíve worked with many dyslexic people who wouldnít dream of using their dyslexia as an excuse for submitting misspelled work.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I agree...

But I remember once I applied for a job, filled in health questionnaire and saw occupational health provider. Accepted the job from HR director and started. Few days later some person from management phoned HR and said I shouldn't be working because of a disease I have and was told to go!!!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 17th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 11,298 Posts
    • 30,219 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    Im dyslexic , you wouldn't know it when I use a computer.

I transpose letters and numbers when I hand write and my spelling is so bad at times Im left for ages trying to find the right word

Using a PC means I don't transpose and I always have another window open so I can check the spelling or make sure I am actually using the right word

Being dyslexic has never stopped me from getting a job and Ive certainly never thought of saying it was a disability. I never even knew I was dyslexic until I was in my 20s
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 17th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 5,872 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    I agree...

But I remember once I applied for a job, filled in health questionnaire and saw occupational health provider. Accepted the job from HR director and started. Few days later some person from management phoned HR and said I shouldn't be working because of a disease I have and was told to go!!!
    The point is the OP is unrealistic to think that more effort shouldn't have been made to fill an application form out correctly when she had ample time to do so.

Employers would be reasonable in allowing errors in day to day unimportant work but if the OP can't be arsed to fill an important application out correctly then they aren't going to be arsed to do what is required to fill important paperwork out for the employer. As such IMO the employer was fair to dismiss the OP's application.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Shaznay1
    • By Shaznay1 17th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Shaznay1
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. I took a copy of the application and suffice to say there were no spelling errors in it. (Its been double checked)Have managed to find a phone number for the department and they sounded very positive when I advised them x I also let them know about the disability part being missed out...that could really affect a lot of people who are more than capable of making a difference in the workplace. Will keep you all posted, either way x
    • Pensioned Off
    • By Pensioned Off 17th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Pensioned Off
    Several things about this query just don't add up... I smell fish.

Firstly, HR teams for 'government jobs' rarely give any feedback on first stage application processes so I am really surprised they would mention 'spelling' as the cause of any rejection.

Secondly, the sift teams do not actually see the disability declaration.

The above points aside, some roles will require absolute accuracy and would not ever be suitable for someone with dyslexia. Roles that require observational records of, say, registration numbers, names or DOBs. It is sometimes just not practical to make reasonable adjustments.

Those of us with disabilities (and I am one of them) have to be realistic and accept that some roles will never be suitable for us. That's life. Move on.
    • Shaznay1
    • By Shaznay1 17th Apr 18, 9:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Shaznay1
    Actually...the disability part being missed out?! Wait a minute it really doesn't make sense to be rejected when nothing's misspelt! !!!55357;!!!56853;
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 17th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Using a PC means I don't transpose and I always have another window open so I can check the spelling or make sure I am actually using the right word
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Really? I transpose like !!!! when I use a computer. Fortunatly I can check it before sending.

Also if I hand write people can't read it. Including me a lot of the time.

Still, different for everyone I suppose.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    shortcrust

Firstly, HR teams for 'government jobs' rarely give any feedback on first stage application processes so I am really surprised they would mention 'spelling' as the cause of any rejection.

The above points aside, some roles will require absolute accuracy and would not ever be suitable for someone with dyslexia. Roles that require observational records of, say, registration numbers, names or DOBs. It is sometimes just not practical to make reasonable adjustments.

Those of us with disabilities (and I am one of them) have to be realistic and accept that some roles will never be suitable for us. That's life. Move on.
    Originally posted by Pensioned Off
    I think you're right. It doesn't add up. I've been an internal applicant with friends in HR and I've not had the level of detail the OP's had. Makes me wonder whether we're all wasting our time.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 17-04-2018 at 9:19 PM.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 17th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Hmmn.

What grade were you applying for, and what stage of the application process was it? Did you take a situational judgment test, or was this marked on written competency examples?

Are you saying you've spoken to someone in HR at 9pm at night? You couldn't find a number for them an hour earlier.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 17th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    Les79

Originally posted by Pensioned Off
    I got feedback on the first stage of the application process when I applied for a role with the government....

They rated my 3 written competencies 4 or above.

Didn't need to follow it up mind you, so not sure how responsive they would have been, but I can sort of imagine them being more engaging with people who declare themselves as disabled. They were lovely in stage 2 and gave more detailed feedback.

That being said, I can't see them putting feedback as "spelling" but maybe something more in-depth which OP has construed as that. For example, in OP's post they have misused the word "their", also "maybe" instead of "may be" and using "i" instead of "I" - All of them being more grammatical mistakes rather than spelling. A lot of that stuff can slip through the net with spell checkers etc.

I took a copy of the application and suffice to say there were no spelling errors in it. (Its been double checked)
    This bit from OP is interesting!

Who the hell checked it if the feedback given was "spelling" issues?! OP, you need to consider using someone else to help you write job applications. Whoever you asked clearly hasn't done a good job in double checking it....

Fair enough like, but how does it work then? I only ask because I do actually think that someone should be looking at this (dyslexia) and factoring it in to some extent to sort of give OP some limited benefit of the doubt (ie overlooking the odd misuse of the word "their" etc).

I agree. OP, was this the case?

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 18th Apr 18, 1:06 AM
    • 11,298 Posts
    • 30,219 Thanks
    suki1964
    Really? I transpose like !!!! when I use a computer. Fortunatly I can check it before sending.

Also if I hand write people can't read it. Including me a lot of the time.

Still, different for everyone I suppose.
    Originally posted by Carrot007

But Ive learned where all the keys are on the keyboard so my fingers find the keys as I speak and spell the words in my head
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 18th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    dippy3103
    I am dyslexic too. I use spellcheck constantly.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 19th Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Given that the OP has managed to speak to someone in HR at 9pm AND they were happy to discuss her application AND they were positive I am wagering that the next update will be an interview, a job offer and £100 in crisp £10 notes as compensation for the distress their rejection caused.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 19th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Carrot007
    But Ive learned where all the keys are on the keyboard so my fingers find the keys as I speak and spell the words in my head
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Guess it depends how you are dyslexic.

Beyond the illegible handwriting, I do the same mistakes on a computer as I do by hand. Because they are both composed in my head the same way. Doubling words because I got a word ahead in my mind etc.

Nothing to do with knowing where the keys are!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,613Posts Today

4,948Users online

Martin's Twitter