Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andymandy92
    • By andymandy92 17th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 19Thanks
    andymandy92
    Is this genuine?
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    Is this genuine? 17th Apr 18 at 7:47 PM
    Hi I got a card through the letterbox from Morrisons Data Service saying they knocked but had no answer and they came to get meter readings for electricity and gas, they wrote that they came as they" were asked to by my supplier." My name wasn't even on the card and neither was my suppliers name and they just came randomly, they said they will come back tomorrow. Is this genuine? Must I let them in? It would be helpful if they or my supplier actually wrote to me in advance to let me know when and what time they will come rather than "we will come tomorrow?" I have both electricity and gas meters which I top-up (they were already installed when I moved in by previous owner). If it is genuine, can I not read the meters myself and leave the card outside for them? Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    Hi I got a card through the letterbox from Morrisons Data Service saying they knocked but had no answer and they came to get meter readings for electricity and gas, they wrote that they came as they" were asked to by my supplier." My name wasn't even on the card and neither was my suppliers name and they just came randomly, they said they will come back tomorrow. Is this genuine? Must I let them in? It would be helpful if they or my supplier actually wrote to me in advance to let me know when and what time they will come rather than "we will come tomorrow?" I have both electricity and gas meters which I top-up (they were already installed when I moved in by previous owner). If it is genuine, can I not read the meters myself and leave the card outside for them? Thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by andymandy92
    You are worrying yourself un-necessarily. MDS is a firm that suppliers use to read meters. The meter reader should carry some form of identification. As there upwards of 50M meters, think about the cost of sending out a letter each time a meter needs to be read/checked. This cost would be added to all our bills.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 17th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    It is genuine. I work for them . Suppliers do not normally write in advance unless it is very urgent or they have been trying to access the meters many times and failed
    .If they do write to you for a proper timed appointment they stand to lose 30 if the meter reader fails to turn up. The call back cards are not deemed official appointments.
    No, you do not have to let them in, but it is in your terms and conditions that you allow the supplier, that includes their agents, access to the meters when the supplier deems it necessary.
    He will not have your name on the call back card but he/she will have it on his hand held computer with details of the meters and occupier.
    You can see his I.D will have a telephone number on it if you want to double check.
    Prepayment meters also need to be accessed every couple of years.
    I personally never accept prepayment meter readings left by the occupier. I prefer to examine the meters myself.
    The electric meter can be confusing which reading the suppliers need. Some need screen "G " others need screen "H "
    Suppliers do not really need to see the readings on the meters as they get all those details automatically on top-up but they need to have a look at the meters occasionally.
    Meter reader will collect the reading more as proof he/she has visited the meters.
    Currently we read for BG, Scot Power, EDF and Eon in many areas as well as many small suppliers
    Last edited by House Martin; 17-04-2018 at 8:58 PM.
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 18th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • 18th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    If in any doubt, ask to see their identification, and then wait outside whilst you check with your supplier.
    Any genuine caller will not be upset that you are checking them out.

If you are particularly nervous about this type of visitor, ask your supplier to set up a password for future occassions, so that you can be sure the meter redaers are genuinely working on the instructions of your supplier.

You have to allow your supplier, or their agents, access to their meter. If not, they will probably get suspicious, and if necessary get an entry warrant. These don't come cheap, nor does the locksmith that often accompanies them, and you will end up footing the bill.

Also, if they do call with a warrant when you are out, you may be temporarily locked out of your own home.
    All a lot of hassle I'm sure you could well do without, eh?
    • andymandy92
    • By andymandy92 18th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    andymandy92
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    If in any doubt, ask to see their identification, and then wait outside whilst you check with your supplier.
    Any genuine caller will not be upset that you are checking them out.

If you are particularly nervous about this type of visitor, ask your supplier to set up a password for future occassions, so that you can be sure the meter redaers are genuinely working on the instructions of your supplier.

You have to allow your supplier, or their agents, access to their meter. If not, they will probably get suspicious, and if necessary get an entry warrant. These don't come cheap, nor does the locksmith that often accompanies them, and you will end up footing the bill.

Also, if they do call with a warrant when you are out, you may be temporarily locked out of your own home.
    All a lot of hassle I'm sure you could well do without, eh?
    Originally posted by Flt. Lt. Biggles
    So what do I do now? I work Monday to Friday and can't get a day off yet unless I book it off. I can't just sit around wait for them to come when they want to. Can I not take the readings myself and put it outside my front door for them?
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 18th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    Biggles is pulling your leg.
    They will not get an entry warrant or change the locks.
    You do not need to take the day off work to wait for them as they might not call back the next day.
    Chances are they will try of an evening, or maybe at the weekend.
    Taking the reading yourself and leaving it for them or calling your supplier with it is fine, but every so often they will need to visit to check for themselves and actually see the meter working.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 19th Apr 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 19th Apr 18, 8:44 AM
    • 19th Apr 18, 8:44 AM
    So what do I do now? I work Monday to Friday and can't get a day off yet unless I book it off. I can't just sit around wait for them to come when they want to. Can I not take the readings myself and put it outside my front door for them?
    i personally would not accept a reading left for a prepayment meter, I want to have a careful look at all prepayment meters.I think that most meter readers would be happy to accept a reading by the door .
    If I find someone who is keen to keep me away from inspecting a prepayment meter I would find that so suspicious I pass it on to Revenue Protection for them to check payment history.
    Biggles is not joking, BG at least are quite happy to get a warrant, and a locksmith as a last resort but only if a very low payment is shown. a normal payment would not be a sign of a meter tamper and they would nt get involved with warrants or locksmiths otherwise.
    Revenue Protection would take out a warrant to access the meters if they deemed it necessary after a RPU officer, pretending to be a meter reader as cover, is refused access to the meters.That is the normal method.
    Of course you do not want to lose holiday days hanging about for some meter reader who may not even turn up but you could leave a note telling him to come back when it was a suitable time for you.
    I m very careful with prepayment meters because they are the most tampered meters. I d say that 90% of the tampered meters I find are prepayment meters, hence my suspicion if someone is stopping me from viewing the meters
    The OP is not trying to stop anyone but meter readers should be prepared to work later in the evening or on Saturdays . My suppliers I work for are only checking prepay meters once every couple of years. That is BG, Scot Power, EDF and many smaller outfits
    Last edited by House Martin; 19-04-2018 at 7:59 PM.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 16th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    alanq
    • 16th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:27 PM
    You can see his I.D will have a telephone number on it if you want to double check.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Ringing a number provided by a potentially bogus caller provides no reassurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,283Users online

Martin's Twitter