Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Katiemay26
    Driving instructor charging for scrape on car
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    Driving instructor charging for scrape on car 17th Apr 18 at 7:12 PM
    Hi. My daughter sat her driving test yesterday and she scraped the curb slightly while out. Her driving instructor is now saying she needs to pay for the damage to his alloy. Can he do this? I have never heard of this. I would of thought surely as an instructor if there is any damage by a student it would be covered by his insurance? Can anyone advise please. Thanks
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Apr 18, 8:28 PM
    • 18,394 Posts
    • 16,606 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Alloys and driving instruction do not mix well!
    Originally posted by Car 54
    But people like to learn in aspirational cars, so that little bit extra cost to the instructor gets a lot more business...

Have you not noticed how many instructors use Minis and even 1-series?
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Katiemay26
    It is an audi. I have never heard of all the trouble we have had this week like advising a student to put in for test then saying near the time he will not let her sit it in his car unless she passes a mock test with him which then resulted in more lessons as she was nervous around him.
    This charging for scrape. We are so pleased to not have to go with him anymore but don't know where we stand with the scrape charge.
    My husband says he is a robbing b and is fuming and says not getting a penny more from us. We have paid over £1000 in lessons in about 6 months
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 17th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    She has had to do 2 he lessons at a time at a cost of £44 per lesson. She has had an extra 6 hrs of lessons this week as he was going to stop her sitting test in his car
    Originally posted by Katiemay26
    It sounds like he had a justified concern about letting her drive the car without him in it given that she damaged it when on test. However £400 is over the top when it can probably be refurbed for £75.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 17th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    markudman
    It is an audi. I have never heard of all the trouble we have had this week like advising a student to put in for test then saying near the time he will not let her sit it in his car unless she passes a mock test with him which then resulted in more lessons as she was nervous around him.
    This charging for scrape. We are so pleased to not have to go with him anymore but don't know where we stand with the scrape charge.
    My husband says he is a robbing b and is fuming and says not getting a penny more from us. We have paid over £1000 in lessons in about 6 months
    how old is the car, and your hubby is right.
    also report him to TS
    Last edited by markudman; 17-04-2018 at 9:01 PM.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 17th Apr 18, 8:58 PM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 6,120 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Jog on and add her straight to the CUE database. Good luck with her getting insurance.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    How on Earth is it going to cause the daughter to be added to CUE's? It's the driving instructors insurance not the daughters.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    How on Earth is it going to cause the daughter to be added to CUE's? It's the driving instructors insurance not the daughters.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    She was driving.
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Katiemay26
    She is a student though with a driving instructor and does not have insurance of her own at that point. I thought while a student is learning with an instructor it is there responsibility. You just sound mean to be making a comment like that as though she deserves trouble getting insured for a scrape on a wheel
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Apr 18, 9:09 PM
    • 5,705 Posts
    • 11,543 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I would not pay him anything.

Worst he can do it take you to small claims court. If the very worse happens and you lose (which I doubt) then all you have to do is pay up then, you won't have lost anything apart from your time to defend and show up.
    • kirmal12
    • By kirmal12 17th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    kirmal12
    I think he needs to find himself a new job, surely a little damage is part of the course?. He'd be getting !!!!!! all out of me and how can he prove it was her when it comes down to it?. Unless he has real evidence tell him to get lost. Shouldn't he be pleased she's passed?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    She is a student though with a driving instructor and does not have insurance of her own at that point. I thought while a student is learning with an instructor it is there responsibility. You just sound mean to be making a comment like that as though she deserves trouble getting insured for a scrape on a wheel
    Whatís mean about it? If he claims and says she was driving sheíll be on the insurance database as having an at fault incident/accident.

What do you think any insurance company will make of that is itís not declared when she is added to a policy or takes out her own?

Surely negotiation and a smart repair off the books is worth consideration.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Apr 18, 10:00 PM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    She passed with only 3 minors. So pleased for her but this has put a dampener on it.
    You hit the kerb you fail, couldnít have been her then
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Jog on and add her straight to the CUE database. Good luck with her getting insurance.
    Wonít affect her insurance in the slightest
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 17th Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Car 54
    You hit the kerb you fail, couldnít have been her then
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    That's a myth.

A gentle nudge of the kerb will be marked as a minor fault. Hitting the kerb hard enough to endanger persons or damage property is serious or dangerous, and hence a fail. It's down to the examiner's judgement.

As for insurance, the instructor is not going to claim. He'd have a fault claim on his record for a repair which will cost less than his excess.
    • stator
    • By stator 18th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 4,361 Thanks
    stator
    Some really dodgy instructors out there. I encountered one in Gloucestershire. Only an idiot driving instructor would use a car with alloy wheels and get upset if they are scuffed on the kerb.

You need to flat out say "NO" to him. Refuse to pay. Refuse to even talk about paying. Don't enter into discussions. Don't try to be reasonable, just say NO, we're not paying. If you think you have a case, see you in court. End of matter.

If he files in small claims court (99% sure he won't) then come back for advice on defending it. I think you'll win easily.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 18th Apr 18, 1:36 AM
    • 6,034 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    As everyone else on here, I'd tell him to jog on. Otherwise ask for a copy of the signed contract that says damage to wheels must be paid for. I doubt there is, I know I never signed anything when I was learning to drive.

There is no law saying you have to do a mock test either, sounds like a total cowboy.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 18th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    loskie
    if he is a franchisee or member of an accredited body, complain to them and just move on with life.
    Your word of mouth in not recommending him will do you no harm either.
    It's a shame to drag it out when your daughter should be chuffed she has passed.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 18th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Wonít affect her insurance in the slightest
    Young driver, recently passed a test and an at fault claim. Of course it wonít.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 18th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Young driver, recently passed a test and an at fault claim. Of course it won!!!8217;t.

She isn't claiming though she doesn't have insurance and she isn't at fault

Whilst supervising a learner driver, supervisors are considered to be the person in control of the vehicle
    Last edited by glentoran99; 18-04-2018 at 7:57 AM.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 18th Apr 18, 8:03 AM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Car 54
    She isn't claiming though she doesn't have insuranceand she isn't at fault

Whilst supervising a learner driver, supervisors are considered to be the person in control of the vehicle
    She was at fault. She wasn't being supervised, she was on test, and the examiner does not act as a supervisor.

The test is the only time when a learner driver does not need to be supervised [The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999, section 16(9).
    • markudman
    • By markudman 18th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    markudman
    I think we are all missing the and i do not understand why some of you are defending a scammer, Shame on you.
    First how did he know she damaged the wheel? did he inspect the car before and after?
    If it was only a small Scrape, did he have a microscope or did he know it was already there?
    Did the trainee and the instructor walk round the car every time a lesson was taken?
    where is the contract that says if you damage my car you will pay for it?
    lets say you paid for a new wheel, how is he going to prove that he used all that money on the wheel?
    how many lessons does he do a day? does he and the trainee inspect the car all the time? does he allow a free period to check the car, or is that included in the hour?

He has a lot to prove, tell him to go away.
    is he a one man operation or is he a franchise?
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

988Posts Today

6,991Users online

Martin's Twitter