Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spubbbba
    • By spubbbba 17th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    spubbbba
    Faulty Dell desktop
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    Faulty Dell desktop 17th Apr 18 at 6:42 PM
    On the 18th September 2017 I purchased a Dell desktop PC online from their website using my debit card. It was delivered a few days later.

The computer worked ok, but had a tendency to crash when it was on power save mode. However restarting would fix this.

On Sunday the 18th March, the computer crashed again but this time the restart did not work. It would either hang on a black screen never getting to the start menu or crash and restart part way through.

I rang Dell technical support and they took me through some suggested fixes, none of which worked. They then sent out a USB drive to allow me to reinstall the operating system. This did work, but 5 to 10 mins after I got to the start menu it would crash again and not work.

Dell next asked me to send it to them so they could fix it. I duly did and after a few weeks got it back with notes saying they had fixed and tested it. However the computer wouldn't ever get to the start menu and just keep restarting.

They then sent an engineer out yesterday who replaced the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system. This looked to have worked but 15 mins into setting up my computer again, it crashed just like it had a month ago.

I've spoken to Dell again and they want me to send the computer back to them where they will take several weeks to try a 3rd time to fix it.

After that long explanation my question is. What are my options under the consumer prices act 2015? The initial fatal crash happened exactly 6 months on from my date of purchase, though I didn't receive it until later that week.
    I wasn't ableto inform themuntil the 19th as their tech support is closed Sunday. Also they have had 2 attempts to fix it.and it looks like this issue was there from the start.

Am I entitled to a replacement machine rather than having to wait even longer for another attempt? Or ideally a refund?
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    disable powersave mode, its not needed
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 12,807 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    What did dell say when you told them you didn't want another repair and would prefer a replacement or refund?

The 18th sept, was that the date you purchased or the date it was delivered?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • spubbbba
    • By spubbbba 17th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    spubbbba
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    I have not spoken to Dell about this yet, wanted to check my rights. Only just found out about the act and had thought I was stuck with the warranty only. I don't have a lot of confidence that they'll do more than keep taking weeks to patch it up until the warranty runs out.

I ordered and paid for the computer on 18th September.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 12,807 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    I have not spoken to Dell about this yet, wanted to check my rights. Only just found out about the act and had thought I was stuck with the warranty only. I don't have a lot of confidence that they'll do more than keep taking weeks to patch it up until the warranty runs out.

I ordered and paid for the computer on 18th September.
    Originally posted by spubbbba
    The 6 month rule runs from delivery.

Speak to dell first - sometimes people expect retailers to argue the toss and they don't. Come back and update us with what stance they're taking and we'll be better able to advise you on how to proceed.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • spubbbba
    • By spubbbba 7th May 18, 11:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    spubbbba
    • 7th May 18, 11:16 PM
    • 7th May 18, 11:16 PM
    Thought itd update this thread with the outcome. The day after I posed my response I rang Dell customer service up, they are only open 9-5 Mon-fri so I had to ring them during work time but luckily had some free time.

Explained my issue to customer service put me through to tech support and I explained again, who then put me through to Inspiron support (the brand of PC I had) and I went through it again and then they put me through to warranty support. Had to go through the explanation yet again and they tried to fob me off with a repair and then a replacement, but after quoting passages of the act and insisting on a refund they finally capitulated. The call took a good half hour in the end with all the passing around and being put on hold.
    The computer was picked up a few days later (not using the useless UPS this time) and I got a full refund yesterday. The guy dealing with that process was pretty good once it was arranged and kept me informed all the way through the process.

So thanks unholyangel, knowing the 6 months started from receiving the item gave me the confidence to stick to my guns. Have used the money to buy a new computer from a different company.
    • takman
    • By takman 7th May 18, 11:51 PM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    takman
    • 7th May 18, 11:51 PM
    • 7th May 18, 11:51 PM
    What are my options under the consumer prices act 2015?
    Originally posted by spubbbba
    I know the issue is now sorted but for anyone else who reads this it's worth pointing out that it's the "Consumer Right Act 2015" that the OP is referring too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

580Posts Today

4,960Users online

Martin's Twitter