Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 17th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    • 152Posts
    • 16Thanks
    dhokes
    Driveway regulations on a new build property
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    Driveway regulations on a new build property 17th Apr 18 at 6:20 PM
    I've purchased a new build and its still being built and I'm waiting for completion.

I was told there would be a driveway for 2 cars and that's what the site plans show. Plot 1 in this image. I was wondering what the regulations are for driveways, if any, in terms of size?

I visited the site today and it appears as though there might be a squeeze to get out of the car when parked in the driveway as the driveway would be between the side of the house (a brick wall) and an adjacent wall/fence.

It would be silly to have a driveway in which I couldn't get out of the car, as well as move a wheelie bin around whilst a car is parked!

What are my options? Is there anything I can do about this?
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 6,248 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    I've purchased a new build and its still being built and I'm waiting for completion.

I was told there would be a driveway for 2 cars and that's what the site plans show. Plot 1 in this image. I was wondering what the regulations are for driveways, if any, in terms of size?

I visited the site today and it appears as though there might be a squeeze to get out of the car when parked in the driveway as the driveway would be between the side of the house (a brick wall) and an adjacent wall/fence.

It would be silly to have a driveway in which I couldn't get out of the car, as well as move a wheelie bin around whilst a car is parked!

Originally posted by dhokes
    Your options are not to buy a house that hasn't been build yet and to buy one where you can see what you are getting in terms of driveway.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 7,669 Posts
    • 7,813 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    Have they built in accordance with the planning consent? That's probably what your contract says and what you'd hope them to do.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 6,248 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    Have they built in accordance with the planning consent? That's probably what your contract says and what you'd hope them to do.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    This doesn't mean that the driveway will be wide enough for any car. Lots of new houses have garages that if you put a car in them you can't open the doors.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 58,504 Posts
    • 51,876 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    Move the wheelie bin before you park the car on the drive.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 17th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 5,727 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:26 PM

The only way to enlarge the drive is to move the wall or fence. Is this possible?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 17th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dhokes
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    The only way to enlarge the drive is to move the wall or fence. Is this possible?
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Possibly though in enclosing a neighbour's garden so I doubt it.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 17th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    get them to specify in writing AND in the contract, what the width of the driveway will be. While you are at it get the length specified in the contract. And before signing the contract go and park your ca next to a wall and see how much width you actually need.

Or go any buy a house that exists now.

If that plan is shown north up, I would not buy it anyway as you will have a cold and sunless north east facing rear garden.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 17th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    I suggest seeing if you can get out of this purchase. 2 doors down from me have a driveway and an Audi A4 so not big. They cant get it onto the drive due to their house and next doors wall
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 17th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 7,479 Posts
    • 5,959 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Minimum size I would want per space is 3m x 6m. This is the minimum garage size specified by our local authority if one of two parking spaces is to be a garage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

531Posts Today

5,632Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin