Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • electric_comperella
    • By electric_comperella 17th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 356Posts
    • 1,472Thanks
    electric_comperella
    Post office savings account online access denied
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    Post office savings account online access denied 17th Apr 18 at 5:44 PM
    Hi all,

I've been trying to transfer some savings for a house purchase and ended up calling their customer service as it was saying transfer cannot be applied at this time.

spoke to customer service who said the technical team had gone home and to call back tomorrow...

scared stiff as the money needs transferring asap - do I have any recourse if this causes a legal problem in the sale?

thanks in advance

Ella

Page 1
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 17th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 14,888 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    No recourse, but I would contact them again at the first opportunity tomorrow, as if you are making the payments via CHAPS it will hit the account by the end of the day tomorrow. Be prepared to jump over a few hurdles as it will be a high value i'm assuming.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+10,000/12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 750/1,000 = 75.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1,500)+-480/2,000 = 51.00%

Total 11,872.59/15,865 = 74.83%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • electric_comperella
    • By electric_comperella 17th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    electric_comperella
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    thanks westie - sucks to have money and be deprived of it

• AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 9,380 Posts
    • 10,356 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    Hi all,

I've been trying to transfer some savings for a house purchase and ended up calling their customer service as it was saying transfer cannot be applied at this time.

spoke to customer service who said the technical team had gone home and to call back tomorrow...

scared stiff as the money needs transferring asap - do I have any recourse if this causes a legal problem in the sale?

thanks in advance

Ella
    Originally posted by electric_comperella
    Yes, with the person who decided it was a good idea to leave it until the very last minute to save two quid on interest.
    • electric_comperella
    • By electric_comperella 18th Apr 18, 7:29 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    electric_comperella
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:29 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:29 AM
    Yes, with the person who decided it was a good idea to leave it until the very last minute to save two quid on interest.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    thanks for your comment actually it was down to taking my eye off the ball due to bereavement

oh that and thinking that an online account with instant access might be instantly accessible at least within a day or so.....never encountered this with other accounts.

• frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 18th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 5,373 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    Hi,

sometimes they have limit on transfers per day.
    Y'all take care now.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 18th Apr 18, 8:34 AM
    • 9,380 Posts
    • 10,356 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:34 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:34 AM
    oh that and thinking that an online account with instant access might be instantly accessible at least within a day or so.....never encountered this with other accounts.
    Originally posted by electric_comperella

It's not at all uncommon for large transfers to be held up, for a variety of obvious reasons, plus of course Sod's law.
    • economic
    • By economic 18th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    economic
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    A quick google search reveals that the service provided by the Post Office savings accounts is indeed very very poor. There have been a few reviews with account holders not able to complete of purchases due to their poor service.

To the OP - it probably is something to worry about given the reviews so i would assume the worse case and get onto the PO asap to resolve the issue. If the purchase does fall through because you could not pay the funds to the solicitor, you are liable even though it is the post offices fault. whether you will then have a claim against the PO i am not sure but i doubt you would be fully compensated.

Should be a lesson to everyone not to use the Post Office when it comes to house purchases. I would even go so far as saying not to use them full stop. I have a relative who has had issues with them and its just not worth the time and hassle dealing with these morons at the Post Office.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,685Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin