Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Acania
    • By Acania 17th Apr 18, 5:25 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Acania
    Electoral Roll
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:25 PM
    Electoral Roll 17th Apr 18 at 5:25 PM
    this place never changes, alwauys morons around
    Last edited by Acania; 19-04-2018 at 2:16 PM.
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 17th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 5,381 Thanks
    anselld
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    Being on the electoral role is not something you choose to do to improve your credit rating. It is a requirement to register if asked to do so and you can be fined if your dont. Difficult to see how you have avoided being asked for 13 years.

It has nothing to do with Council tax.
    • Acania
    • By Acania 17th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Acania
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    Being on the electoral role is not something you choose to do to improve your credit rating. It is a requirement to register if asked to do so and you can be fined if your dont. Difficult to see how you have avoided being asked for 13 years.

Originally posted by anselld
    Don't be cheeky. Read my question again. And to respond to you, It is a requirement if I have a main address and am asked to register on the electoral roll, neither of which have applied to me in the past 13years cause I haven't had a main address nor has the council ever asked me to fill in any form.

Now if you can't answer my question about council tax and registering for the electoral roll then zip it.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 19th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,344 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 19th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    Don't be cheeky. Read my question again. And to respond to you, It is a requirement if I have a main address and am asked to register on the electoral roll, neither of which have applied to me in the past 13years cause I haven't had a main address nor has the council ever asked me to fill in any form.

Now if you can't answer my question about council tax and registering for the electoral roll then zip it.
    Originally posted by Acania
    How can anyone answer your question if you've deleted it?

Do you have anger management issues?
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 19th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 7,629 Posts
    • 7,757 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 19th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    How can anyone answer your question if you've deleted it?
    Originally posted by nicechap
    By finding it on the internet:

Hi guys, I need some advice. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum. I moved out of my old house in around 2005 which I lived in my whole life. I have been off the electoral roll since then. Been staying in various places eg friends etc. I registered with inland revenue my parents address so my tax letters etc go to their home. I sometimes stay at my parents house aswell. My question is that I am thinking about staying at my parents house during the summer, and I want to fix my credit rating etc and apply for some credit cards. If I am still there when the annuual electoral roll form comes and I put my name on it, could it cause the council to accuse me of always being there? Cause my parents get a council tax relief and don't pay much towards it. Last thing I wanna do is have the council claim I was living there for x years and therefore throw some bill their way for previous years. Also, if I do register with the electoral roll how do I work out how much the council tax will be minus the relief my parents get cause I work and I'll have to pay it.

All help appreciated.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 44,049 Posts
    • 52,160 Thanks
    G_M
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:36 PM

Everyone has a main address. It's where you live at any given point in time.

You may move around frequently, 'stay' with different people, but that just means your main address frequently changes.

As for your question, I could answer that for you, but since you've

a) insulted the first person to respond and
    b) deleted your question in a huff

I don't think I'll bother!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 19th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 4,944 Posts
    • 13,194 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    Hi guys, I need some advice. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum. I moved out of my old house in around 2005 which I lived in my whole life. I have been off the electoral roll since then. Been staying in various places eg friends etc. I registered with inland revenue my parents address so my tax letters etc go to their home. I sometimes stay at my parents house aswell. My question is that I am thinking about staying at my parents house during the summer, and I want to fix my credit rating etc and apply for some credit cards. If I am still there when the annuual electoral roll form comes and I put my name on it, could it cause the council to accuse me of always being there? Cause my parents get a council tax relief and don't pay much towards it. Last thing I wanna do is have the council claim I was living there for x years and therefore throw some bill their way for previous years. Also, if I do register with the electoral roll how do I work out how much the council tax will be minus the relief my parents get cause I work and I'll have to pay it.
    So is it the case that you've really been living with your parents, but pretending not to so that they get Council Tax benefit?

Genuine question, as the answer to that determines the best advice to you (and your parents).

All help appreciated.
    Hopefully.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 19th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    slopemaster
    • 19th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    Originally posted by anselld
    Of course you are right about it being obligatory, and in theory I'm sure you are right about this.
    But in practice, in my experience, when I have put myself on the electoral register at an address, this has immediately led to the council asking me for council tax.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 20th Apr 18, 2:28 PM
    • 10,650 Posts
    • 8,890 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 20th Apr 18, 2:28 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 2:28 PM
    Of course you are right about it being obligatory, and in theory I'm sure you are right about this.
    But in practice, in my experience, when I have put myself on the electoral register at an address, this has immediately led to the council asking me for council tax.
    Originally posted by slopemaster
    Unless you are a tenant or an occupying owner, you would not be liable for CT.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 20th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 3,782 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    this place never changes, alwauys morons around
    Sure are - they're the ones having hissy fits and deleting their posts.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Apr 18, 9:03 PM
    • 20,113 Posts
    • 15,833 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Originally posted by slopemaster

That can only be because you were liable for CT, so it's only reasonable that they would expect you to pay it.
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 20th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Well, yes. Usually.
    But the point being that that they do pass the info on.

And it is poss to be registered to vote at an address without being liable to pay the tax. If you're a student you can be registered at TWO addresses. I got the exemption easily enough at my own address, but had some difficulty in convincing them not to take away my mum's single-person discount when I was also - quite legally - registered to vote at her address although not living there.

I know that's not relevant to the OPs situation, but the point I was making is that the info IS passed on from one department to the other, even if they say it isn't. They insisted that I must be living there because I was on the register there.
    Last edited by slopemaster; 20-04-2018 at 9:16 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

2,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin