Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NobleMule
    • By NobleMule 17th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NobleMule
    "No purchase necessary" - clarification needed
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    "No purchase necessary" - clarification needed 17th Apr 18 at 4:54 PM
    Hi guys - long time reader of the site but first time poster. Not sure where to turn for this question so I hope you guys can help. I did a search of the forum but couldn't find anything relevant but I may have missed something so sorry if this is a duplicate and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I had an email from Biffy Clyro about an upcoming acoustic tour and you could get access to pre-sale tickets by pre-ordering the album. With Biffy being one of the few bands my wife and I agree on, I opted to get the LP. The link in the email took me to a page with tour dates and this header:
    Everyone who pre-orders the album from the official store will subsequently receive a pre-sale code for the bandís MTV Unplugged tour which begins in September. Please note your album pre-order does not guarantee tickets. Pre-ordering provides first access to pre-sale tickets and will be available on a first come, first served basis.*
    At the bottom the asterisk points to a disclaimer stating that no purchase was necessary but I wanted the album anyway so I didn't give it much attention. The email also shows a link to pre-order the album from Amazon. Amazon was £25, Biffy store was £30. Bit annoying but to secure the pre-sale option after missing out last year, I figured it was worth it.

Tack on a hefty shipping fee and suddenly it's £35. In a moment of madness, I clicked buy but then looked at the FAQ's. Two questions jumped out at me and this is where it gets confusing...

Three up from the bottom is this question:
    Q. What if I pre-order from a different retailer or store, do I qualify for early access to tickets?
    A. No. To qualify for first access you must pre-order from the official store here.
    However, IMMEDIATELY above that question is this:
    Q. How do I take part in first access to MTV Unplugged Tour tickets?
    A. Pre-order the album from the official store to register for first access to tour tickets. No purchase necessary, click here to register without pre-ordering.
    This suggests that I can basically purchase what I want from wherever I want (or not at all) and still get presale access. This is completely contradictory in my mind so I emailed for clarification and the response I got was:
    an order has to be placed on our store to qualify for the presale codes
    Can anyone shed any light on this? I feel like I'm being intentionally misled in order to get me to pay £10 more. Are they doing something wrong or have I misunderstood?

Thanks in advance and sorry again if this is in the wrong place.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,842 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    The original offer looks straightforward to me? You could have pre-ordered (without purchasing) on the official site to get the pre-sale access, and then actually ordered the LP from Amazon at the cheaper price.

What's confusing is their email 'clarification', which does seem to contradict the original guidance. Email back and point out the inconsistency, perhaps?
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 17th Apr 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:53 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:53 PM
    What's an LP?
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 17th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    They're basically saying that ordering from Amazon won't get you a presale code. You can obviously still order from Amazon and also sign up on their website for presale with no purchase necessary though.
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 17th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    What's an LP?
    Originally posted by foxtrotoscar
    haha, no doubt it's some newfangled media format which is taking over from MP3s.

Oh wait...
    • bris
    • By bris 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    bris
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    No purchase necessary, but in reality , no purchase means you are way back of the queue in the pecking order. Purchases would take priority.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 8,146 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    esuhl
    What's an LP?
    It stands for "long play" and was a vinyl record format used to release albums. 12" diameter and 33 1/3rd RPM.

I laughed the other day when my nephew found a VHS tape and exclaimed, "Look! A DVD from ancient times!"
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    robin58
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    What's an LP?
    Go watch 'Shaun of the Dead' , that will give you an introduction.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    robin58
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    It stands for "long play" and was a vinyl record format used to release albums. 12" diameter and 33 1/3rd RPM.

I laughed the other day when my nephew found a VHS tape and exclaimed, "Look! A DVD from ancient times!"
    Originally posted by esuhl
    How would he cope if he saw a Laserdisc.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 17th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 9,755 Thanks
    LilElvis
    What's an LP?
    A playing format which usually involves paying a massive premium, though we got the new Manic Street Preachers vinyl for £17 with the CD copy and digital download also included (CD was £10).

It's a generational "thing" from what I can see - husband is an original punk and last year got a hankering to get his boxes of vinyl out of the loft. After a huge outlay at Richer Sounds we now have Clash, Ramones, Pistols, New York Dolls etc playing full throttle. I bought Primal Scream (Screamadelica) on vinyl a few weeks ago and I had forgotten how damned good it was. Biffy Clyro though, not going to happen - only marginally less orally offensive than the 7 year old's Taylor Swift and Katie Perry choices.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 17th Apr 18, 10:05 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    z1a
    [QUOTE=esuhl;74175781]It stands for "long play" and was a vinyl record format used to release albums. 12" diameter and 33 1/3rd RPM.

I laughed the other day when my nephew found a VHS tape and exclaimed, "Look! A DVD from ancient times!"[/QUOTE

Do you really think it was a serious question?
    • NobleMule
    • By NobleMule 24th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NobleMule
    Thanks for all the replies, guys (even the off topic ones). I guess I was mostly put out by how misleading the information was in general - it was definitely geared towards trying to make you spend more. All is resolved now, thanks for all the tips!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,967Posts Today

6,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin