Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 17th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 66Thanks
    satchef1
    Parking fine for charging an electric car
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    Parking fine for charging an electric car 17th Apr 18 at 4:26 PM
    Hi,

Last week I stopped off at Novotel Wolverhampton to use their Polar Plus Ultracharger. It's a rapid charger that will fill my car up in about 20 minutes. I pay a subscription to Polar for access to their network of chargers. Today I received a "fine" from Parking Eye for not paying the parking charges. I was in the car park for 20 minutes.

This is the sign that is displayed in the car park:

I was about to pay the fine until I read this properly. There is no mention of charges for people who aren't hotel guests. I wasn't a hotel guest, but I did have a right to be there (under the Polar Plus network membership). So do these charges apply? Is this an angle worth fighting?

Thanks
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Apr 18, 6:00 PM
    • 57,564 Posts
    • 71,135 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    And are you, c-m, nicking my favourite appeal point too?
    Am I? Which one?!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• satchef1
    • By satchef1 17th Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    satchef1
    Had a reply from Chargemaster.

They've decided that it is indeed unreasonable for one of their partners to issue fines to CM customers without clear signage about usage restrictions. They are going to contact Novotel on my behalf to resolve the situation.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 17th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    fisherjim
    The whole thing is a b****y confusing mess but that's just how a PPC likes it!
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 17th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    • 10,460 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    Had a reply from Chargemaster.

They've decided that it is indeed unreasonable for one of their partners to issue fines to CM customers without clear signage about usage restrictions. They are going to contact Novotel on my behalf to resolve the situation.

Excellent - please keep us informed. Chase hotel in a few days to see what is happening. The charge isn't csncelled till PE confirm it though.

If you look at ZapMap, it says that this charger is free, but a Leaf using the site in November had some trouble and had to use the 3-pin charger but had to pay the parking fee that was 3 6 months ago.
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 17th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    satchef1
    They seem to have changed their parking set-up recently. Google Street View shows a barrier and ticket system. I'm not sure how new the ANPR system is. Could be that I'm the first to be caught.

I've prepared a response to ParkingEye. I may adapt it and send it further up the tree to Novotel first as my last email to the hotel has gone unanswered. Chances are, the people at the hotel end who can deal with PE aren't the ones who I've been emailing.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 35,623 Posts
    • 19,852 Thanks
    Quentin

I've prepared a response to ParkingEye..
    Originally posted by satchef1

Be careful what you say to PE

Why not follow the advice here on how to appeal - it's tried and tested!

Read up on this in the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum

You don't have to drive an ICE car to use the template appeal!
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 18th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    satchef1
    Victory.

Good Afternoon,

In regards to your previous email I would firstly like to make it clear that we do not require payment for the use of our Polar charging stations from external guests, However I would like to underline that as clearly stated on the photo I sent you That it is your duty of care to ensure that you register your car at reception.

However on this occasion as a gesture of good will, I am willing to request a cancellation of the fine from Parking Eye.

In order to process this request I will require a copy of the fine that you received.
    by Novotel
    I'm not sure I agree on the "as clearly stated on the sign" bit. But at least I'm off the hook. One to remember next time.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 35,623 Posts
    • 19,852 Thanks
    Quentin
    Good news

But keep on with the appeals procedure until you have confirmation from PE they cancelled
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 18th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    satchef1
    Will do.

Can I assume from that comment that further problems aren't unheard of?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • 35,623 Posts
    • 19,852 Thanks
    Quentin
    PE do usually do as asked by retailers etc

It's just belt and braces to follow the appeals procedure in case you miss a deadline and they don't cancel leaving you with having the hassle of possible legal action to deal with
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 18th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    fisherjim
    Will do.

Can I assume from that comment that further problems aren't unheard of?
    Originally posted by satchef1
    You assume correct. remember you are dealing with a greedy PPC that has no real interest in managing parking, being reasonable or fair, that doesn't make them the millions they so desperately desire to meet their targets or to satisfy their shareholders.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 18th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    • 10,460 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    I hate a mystery, so I rang the hotel for clarification. The person answering the phone says the "there is some discussion going on, it was Novotel HQ who has made the arrangements with Chargemaster, EV drivers need not be guests to use the charger and they wouldn't have to pay but the local General Manager has the gen on tthis and will be back on Thursday next from annual leave". In addition, she said that users should inform reception where they will be put on a separate list from guests who otherwise incur the 4 parking fee.

As I suspected, the Ultracharger has recently been installed and Chargemaster are installing a number of Ultrachargers throughout UK. I suspect that the parking signs and contracts with the PPCs have not been updated.

see here https://chargemasterplc.com/news/

But more relevant is this article https://www.owler.com/reports/chargemaster/chargemaster-blog-chargemaster-partners-with-ibis-/1467942440532 where it states "Chargemaster, the UK's largest supplier and operator of electric vehicle (EV) charging points has partnered with AccorHotels, owner of ibis and Novotel, to offer EV charging points at its hotels across the UK.Rolling out at the beginning of 2016, the first phase will see 60 hotels receive EV charging points as part of Chargemaster's POLAR network. The charging points will be free to use for ibis and Novotel visitors to charge their electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles."

So we need a better definition of free to use. Personally, I have no problem in paying for the electricity charges and would not necessarily expect a free charge (but wouldn't turn it down either !)

It is important for EV drivers to know what the regime with such partnerships are to avoid conflict with PPCs, but most hoteliers and their staff are not up to date with electric vehicle matters.

I might just check up with the general manager in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Guys Dad; 18-04-2018 at 4:43 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin