Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Psyduck1980
    • By Psyduck1980 17th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Psyduck1980
    Switching Timings
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    Switching Timings 17th Apr 18 at 4:21 PM
    I have just read an old article on MSE which states you can give your energy provider notice before you enter the 49 day switching window and not pay early exit fees if the switch actually completes inside the 49 days. Is anyone able to confirm this remains the case? Also, how long does a switch normally take, assuming there are no objections? My current tariff expires at the end of June and has early exit fees of £100 so I want to make sure I avoid these. Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 18,614 Posts
    • 12,760 Thanks
    molerat
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    A switch can be completed in about 17 days. It is far simpler to leave it until the 49 day point which avoids any protracted arguments. If the switch delays your prices are protected for 20 days after your contract end date.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 3,530 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    A switch can be completed in about 17 days. It is far simpler to leave it until the 49 day point which avoids any protracted arguments. If the switch delays your prices are protected for 20 days after your contract end date.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Not 100% true. Provided that the losing supplier is informed via industry procedures no later than the end of fix date plus 20 days, the consumer has tariff protection until the transfer goes through.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 17th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 24,685 Thanks
    jk0
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    Not 100% true. Provided that the losing supplier is informed via industry procedures no later than the end of fix date plus 20 days, the consumer has tariff protection until the transfer goes through.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    This is interesting. I have similar concerns to the o/p.

Presumably though that tariff protection would not apply if there were arrears and the switch not allowed? Is that why some 'fly by night' suppliers are so keen to allege arrears?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 3,530 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    This is interesting. I have similar concerns to the o/p.

Presumably though that tariff protection would not apply if there were arrears and the switch not allowed? Is that why some 'fly by night' suppliers are so keen to allege arrears?
    Originally posted by jk0
    If a supplier blocks a transfer, then the transfer is effectively cancelled. No transfer, then no price protection if you reach your end of contract date.

FWIW, the 20 day tariff protection is built into the Supply Licence. I am guessing here but I think that the rationale is based on the fact that a consumer can apply to switch as late as the last day of the contract. The customer then has a 14 day cooling off period before the supplier has to start the transfer process. The new supplier has until Day 6 after notification to block a transfer. I appreciate that many suppliers are signed up to 17 day switching but that isnít the case across the board. Some still take no transfer action during the cooling off period.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

167Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin