Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Majic
    • By Majic 17th Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    • 184Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Majic
    Cost of Laptop repair-Is this reasonable.
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    Cost of Laptop repair-Is this reasonable. 17th Apr 18 at 3:14 PM
    Bought a second hand Laptop from a Computer Repair Shop for 240 in November. It came with a 3 month warranty on hardware. 5 months after purchase the hard drive has failed.

Been quoted 75+vat for ADATA Ultimate SU650 2401GB
    along with 30+vat for installation of a new storage drive and a further 70+vat for SR10 operating system installation.

Unlucky that the hard drive has failed so quickly but with looking at over 200 on repairs I'm trying to save money.The laptop is only used to play games that are downloaded off the internet. I was wondering is this repair and installation something a novice could do? else I'm looking at 440+ spent in just over a few months on a second hand laptop
Page 1
    • googler
    • By googler 17th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 9,692 Thanks
    googler
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    78.26 incl VAT for Samsung 250Gb SSD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P736UEU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1& refRID=RPTFF1B0YSBRY7VDVS69

Installation is easily within scope of a novice. Lots of guides online, videos on YouTube, telling you what to do

Download machine-specific drivers once Op Sys installed. (Free)

Install operating system of choice (Windows 10, say, from eBay (25 S/h)), Linux/Ubuntu etc for free (but you need a working PC to download them. Are you writing this from a desktop PC?
    • Majic
    • By Majic 17th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Majic
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    Yes.

So installation of drive first via You Tube etc

Windows 8 was on it I think as was Eset which had been put on by the shop. How do I get that on etc
    • Majic
    • By Majic 17th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Majic
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    I think I could install the drive, but struggling after that. Need to follow specific instructions. Just wonder where the best place would be for this
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 17th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    Lots of people on here to offer advice
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 17th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    After fitting SSD, you go to microsoft to download Win10 ISO file.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Use rufus or similar software to create bootable usb

Plug in USB
    Turn on computer and go to BIOS (usually press DEL/ F12, etc at start up screen)
    Select primary boot as usb
    Save and exit

computer should restart itself and starting installing win 10
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 17th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    Forgot to say, samsung 850 is last gen.

latest is 860 EVO
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Sata-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B078WQJXNF/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1523977925&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+860
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 17th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    After fitting SSD, you go to microsoft to download Win10 ISO file.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Use rufus or similar software to create bootable usb

Plug in USB
    Turn on computer and go to BIOS (usually press DEL/ F12, etc at start up screen)
    Select primary boot as usb
    Save and exit

computer should restart itself and starting installing win 10
    Originally posted by Cisco001
    You don't even need stuff like rufus any more, the windows 10 media creation tool will create a bootable USB stick (or disc if you're so inclined) with the latest 1803 windows build easy.

If the laptop has ever had windows 10 on it, it will just work. If not, if you can find out what the original windows 8 key was, Microsoft are still accepting them for free upgrades (despite the 'offer' ending over a year ago).
    - Source: I just upgraded my Brothers 10 year old laptop with an HDD/8 to an SSD/10 last weekend

If you can't get hold of the old key, new valid keys can be found inexpensively online.

As annoying as the failure was, if you're going from a spinning disk to solid state, it'll feel like a new machine.
    • Majic
    • By Majic 17th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Majic
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    Right I'm going to get it back and give it a go. Standby for lots of questions in the coming days
    • Majic
    • By Majic 17th Apr 18, 5:24 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Majic
    Is this worth the extra expense
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 17th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Perhaps if you tell us which laptop manufacturer, model number etc, that will help
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 17th Apr 18, 6:35 PM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    5 months after purchase the hard drive has failed.
    Originally posted by Majic
    How bad is the failure? Total (as in gone up in smoke, clicks of death, no response to power...) or partial (very slow) or what?

EDIT: also, you shouldn't need to spend any money for "SR10 operating system" Ask the shop for the operating system key which they supplied to you (may be on a sticker on he laptop itself) or the original invoice from the shop.
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 17-04-2018 at 6:39 PM.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Majic
    • By Majic 17th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Majic
    How bad is the failure? Total (as in gone up in smoke, clicks of death, no response to power...) or partial (very slow) or what?

EDIT: also, you shouldn't need to spend any money for "SR10 operating system" Ask the shop for the operating system key which they supplied to you (may be on a sticker on he laptop itself) or the original invoice from the shop.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Won't boot up

It is an Astra X551CA-SX130H 15.6 INCH HD LED Notebook (Intel Core i3-3217u 1.8 GHZ 4GB DDR3 , 750GB HDD,DVD DL

Got the invoice no mention of a key
    • Majic
    • By Majic 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Majic
    Also I have ESET on this machine (or did have) Again I paid the shop for a licence for my 3 devices. How do I get that on again
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 17th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Won't boot up

It is an Astra X551CA-SX130H 15.6 INCH HD LED Notebook (Intel Core i3-3217u 1.8 GHZ 4GB DDR3 , 750GB HDD,DVD DL

Got the invoice no mention of a key
    Oh the joys of predictive text I think you mean ASUS not a Vauxhall Astra
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 17th Apr 18, 8:54 PM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Probable manual here https://www.asus.com/Laptops/X551CA/HelpDesk_Manual/

Slim lappy by the looks of it perhaps look here https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Asus+X551CA+Hard+Drive+Replacement/24289
    Last edited by debitcardmayhem; 17-04-2018 at 9:01 PM.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 18th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    [laptop] Won't boot up

Got the invoice no mention of a [operating system] key
    Also I have ESET on this machine (or did have) Again I paid the shop for a licence for my 3 devices. How do I get that on again
    First, the laptop "Won't boot up". We need to see the last thing reported on the screen; it may be a dead hard drive; it may be a corrupted hard drive; the latter is fixable.

Licenses. The shop sold you a laptop that included Windows and ESET licenses; if they're organised they should be able to tell you a. the exact software that was provided (e.g. was it Windows 10?)and b. the software licenses (e.g. keys) that came with this software.

Hard disk removal. If you have to do this it is not trivial for this laptop as there is no "hard drive service hatch"; you have to remove the complete back panel.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th Apr 18, 1:53 AM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Download the installer from ESET's website, put in the license details you've got.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 18th Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    You should have been given either a printout or an email with the key, either from the shop or from ESET (if the shop set it up with your address). Or if you have it installed on another machine you may be able to get it from there.

I'm not familiar with ESET but with the key it should just be a case of re-installing it, it may be necessary to contact ESET to 'deactivate' the licence on the dead drive, or it may recognise the hardware and do it automatically.

If you don't have it, the shop needs to supply it.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Apr 18, 11:45 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    No need to put an expensive 240 GB SSD when a functional 120/128 GB SSD will do.
    https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-2-5-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html will do nicely for just 25.
    I fitted a few of those in to the machines of friends with no issues a couple of years later.

Also test if the current installation can be repaired before shelling out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,134Posts Today

7,193Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin