Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • m1ck3tt5
    • By m1ck3tt5 17th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    m1ck3tt5
    Inheritance from the USA
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    Inheritance from the USA 17th Apr 18 at 2:52 PM
    Hi,
    I have inherited an IRA (Individual Retirement Plan) from a relative in the US which will pay a lump sum to me as a beneficiary. I am attempting to understand the US Tax rules and regulations and whilst I believe I am almost there with the form and I'm aware that I need to complete W-8BEN, it is asking for a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). If I'm correct, if I don't submit the W-8BEN with this number then I will be subject to a 30% tax with-holding of the monies. However, from investigations, the UK are part of a Treaty with the US whereby 0% tax is payable. So,what I'm asking is a) has anyone inherited monies from the US? b) Submitted a W-8BEN? c) Submitted the form without a ITIN? d) Or d) Requested a ITIN? From my research to obtain a ITIN I would need to send my original passport to the US for validation which is something I am not prepared to do as may not have this returned for many weeks. Any help or advice would be gratefully received, please.
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 33,078 Posts
    • 19,949 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    IIRC last one I filled in for share stuff I used my NINO(National insurance No.)
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 23rd Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 10,634 Posts
    • 12,191 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 23rd Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 23rd Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    IIRC last one I filled in for share stuff I used my NINO(National insurance No.)
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    I've always left mine blank.
    With shares, the W8-BEN is all about dividend payments not the actual amounts. SO i can get all the money out its just the dividends i lose 30% of. Hopefully that is the case for the OP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,262Users online

Martin's Twitter